Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 47
  1. #1
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    France and Costa Rica
    Posts
    987

    Lightbulb The Polk LSi15: Receiver Speaker Settings: LARGE or SMALL?

    Q1: ➜ How Should I set the:

    ◊ Main speakers - LARGE or SMALL
    ◊ Subwoofer - SUBWOOFER + LEF (120HZ) or MAIN or BOTH
    ◊ Center - LARGE or SMALL
    ◊ Surround - LARGE or SMALL

    Q2:Which setting is correct and also will give best sound?

    http://www.audyssey.com/blog/2009/05/small-vs-large/
    http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/lsi/specs.php
    http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3494.asp

    Here is my system:

    01) DENON AVR-4308CI: Advanced 7.1 CH/5.1+2 CH/ 3.1+2+2 CH A/V Home Theater /MultiMedia Multi-Source/Zone Receiver with Networking and WiFi/170 watts x 7 channels
    02) SUNFIRE Grand Signature - Bob Carver's :D
    03) OPPO DV-980H 1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI and 7.1CH Audio
    04) OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player w/SACD & DVD-Audio / DENON DVD-2500BTCI: Blu-ray Disc™ DVD/CD Digital Player/Transport
    05) HITACHI P55T501. 55" HD1080 Plasma HDTV
    06) POLKAUDIO LSiC (Center speaker) - 60 Hz.
    07) POLKAUDIO LSi15 LEFT (Front speaker)
    08) POLKAUDIO LSi15 RIGHT (Front speaker)
    09) POLKAUDIO LSif/x LEFT (Surround speaker) 60 Hz.
    10) POLKAUDIO LSif/x RIGHT (Surround speaker) [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]60Hz[/COLOR].
    11) VELODYNE OPTIMUN 12" :D (High Output Digital EQ SubWoofer 2400W/1200WRMS) 60Hz - LFE: 120Hz.
    Last edited by Bernal; 10-10-2009 at 03:12 PM.

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (41)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    8,741

    Default

    With a good sub I'd say set your fronts to small crossed at 80hz. But if you do any two channel listening definately large without a sub sounds great.

    I run my fronts large/ full range to help out with the mid bass

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (5)

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Jackson, Ms.
    Posts
    2,340

    Default

    I run my front's large but I have a wimpy sub. Same reason as above.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North of New Orleans
    Posts
    3,313

    Default

    This is like apples vs oranges.

    The small setting is in reference to using an AVR with its own amp.
    You gain headroom with the 80Hz setting crossover and this is the typical recommendation.
    This is the optimized setting that works for most applications.

    That doesn't necessarily apply when you use external amplification with plenty of headroom for full range speakers.
    In that case, a large speaker setting ensures that your speakers get the full range that they were designed for.

    The LSi15's are full range speakers that should be powered using good external amps.
    On the AVR with pre-outs, they should be set to large.

    Overall Frequency Response 22Hz - 27kHz
    Lower -3dB Limit 30Hz
    Upper -3dB Limit 26kHz
    Last edited by xcapri79; 10-10-2009 at 03:41 PM.

    Main HT/2 ch:
    Pioneer SC-07, BDP-05FD, Emotiva XPA-5 x 2, XPA-1 x 2,
    Polk Audio LSi25, RTi12 x 2, LSi15 x 4, LSiC x 2, PSW1000 x 4,

    MB HT/ 2 ch:
    LG 47LM5800, Pioneer SC-1523, BDP-23FD, Sony BDP-S790, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5,
    Polk Audio LSi25,15, CSi5, LSiFX, PSW505 x 4

    Listening Room 2 ch:
    McIntosh MC162, MC202, C15, C41, C42, MA6500, MA6900, MCD201
    Emotiva RSP-2, RPA-1, ERC-2
    Adcom GCD 750, GFP 750, GFA 5802
    Polk Audio LSi7,9, 15

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    1,293

    Default

    Bernal, I have the same speakers as you with the exception of the sub I'm using A DSW-pro 600

    With a Yamaha Pre/pro, and an Emotiva / sunfire amp, my setting are

    Fronts- LSi-15's to large
    Center- LSIC to small
    Rears- LSiFX to small
    LFE sub crossover to 60hz
    Receiver set Sub + Mains (for 2 channel)

    I've played with several combinations, I like this best.

    LFE sub crossover at 80hz is my 2nd choice but a little too bass heavy, any higher and the bass is too disproportional.


    Try different settings, see which YOU like best.

    I'm learning that with the LSi15's, a minor change in placement can result in a big difference in sound........this is what this hobby is all about, trying different things.....the nice thing is, settings and speaker placement are FREEBIEES.

    Have fun

    Jimmy

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (10)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Magnolia, NJ
    Posts
    4,054

    Default

    Here's agreat article on the subject...http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/128214.html. Once you get past the fact that the LSi15 aren't close to being full range, you'll understand the article. For some reason we tend to throw the word "Fullrange" around a lot & the truth is there are very few true Fullrange speakers out there. Think very, very, large & expensive to fall into that category.

    Play around with the settings & crossovers & let your ears decide. I'll bet the small setting crossed over at 60 or 80 is what you'll like. I know the Lsi15's sound very good without a sub but there's a whole lot you're missing not running a good sub with them. They're choking trying to act like a fullrange speaker.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North of New Orleans
    Posts
    3,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001 View Post
    Here's agreat article on the subject...http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/128214.html. Once you get past the fact that the LSi15 aren't close to being full range, you'll understand the article. For some reason we tend to throw the word "Fullrange" around a lot & the truth is there are very few true Fullrange speakers out there. Think very, very, large & expensive to fall into that category.

    Play around with the settings & crossovers & let your ears decide. I'll bet the small setting crossed over at 60 or 80 is what you'll like. I know the Lsi15's sound very good without a sub but there's a whole lot you're missing not running a good sub with them. They're choking trying to act like a fullrange speaker.
    Given the spec. listed below, please explain why the LSi15 isn't full range?
    Overall Frequency Response 22Hz - 27kHz
    Lower -3dB Limit 30Hz
    Upper -3dB Limit 26kHz

    Main HT/2 ch:
    Pioneer SC-07, BDP-05FD, Emotiva XPA-5 x 2, XPA-1 x 2,
    Polk Audio LSi25, RTi12 x 2, LSi15 x 4, LSiC x 2, PSW1000 x 4,

    MB HT/ 2 ch:
    LG 47LM5800, Pioneer SC-1523, BDP-23FD, Sony BDP-S790, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5,
    Polk Audio LSi25,15, CSi5, LSiFX, PSW505 x 4

    Listening Room 2 ch:
    McIntosh MC162, MC202, C15, C41, C42, MA6500, MA6900, MCD201
    Emotiva RSP-2, RPA-1, ERC-2
    Adcom GCD 750, GFP 750, GFA 5802
    Polk Audio LSi7,9, 15

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Richton Park,IL.
    Posts
    5,050

    Default

    Cross-over your speakers to 80hz for Movies and run your Fronts full range
    on Music.
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    5,802

    Default

    I have all 4 LSi15s set to large, as is the PSB Syncrony One Center. I do not use the LFE since I do not want the AVR filtering, and possibly degrading, the audio signal. The PSW1000 sub is run off the front pre-amp output. It is hard to describe how great this sounds. Sub integrates perfectly with LSi15s, and especially with BluRay audio, it is fantastic.

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NE PA
    Posts
    1,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xcapri79 View Post
    Given the spec. listed below, please explain why the LSi15 isn't full range?
    Overall Frequency Response 22Hz - 27kHz
    Lower -3dB Limit 30Hz
    Upper -3dB Limit 26kHz
    Did you read the acticle linked, or many others on this subject?

    One quote from this article:
    "Very few speakers should actually use the "large" setting. Even most of the big, powered towers should not be used with the "large" setting because they can't produce these low frequencies (or they produce them without power and depth). What you should be thinking is that "large" means you have a truly full-range speaker; use "small" for everything else. If your speaker can't put out more than 100dB at 20 Hz, set it to "small." "

    But like everything else in the audio world, and as has been said many times:
    Let your ears decide for you.

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Pa
    Posts
    13,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001 View Post
    Here's agreat article on the subject...http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/128214.html. Once you get past the fact that the LSi15 aren't close to being full range, you'll understand the article. For some reason we tend to throw the word "Fullrange" around a lot & the truth is there are very few true Fullrange speakers out there. Think very, very, large & expensive to fall into that category.

    Play around with the settings & crossovers & let your ears decide. I'll bet the small setting crossed over at 60 or 80 is what you'll like. I know the Lsi15's sound very good without a sub but there's a whole lot you're missing not running a good sub with them. They're choking trying to act like a fullrange speaker.
    Excellent advise and an excellent link. Most people fall for full range or large speakers for fronts. Your system will actually sound fuller and clearer with all speakers set to small. Get over the ego and have a badass system. You will enjoy it more.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (49)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wyred 4 Sound
    Posts
    11,035

    Default

    I fell for it, I really thought I should have them set to large, and kept it that way for a few. I noticed a big change in my HT setup, everything blended better with the settings set to small.

    Take note to what is being said, these guys know their ****.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    France and Costa Rica
    Posts
    987

    Wink

    Today update my Denon 4308Ci, and configure the speakers:

    ◊ Main speakers - LARGE,
    ◊ Center - SMALL - crossover to 60 Hz,
    ◊ Surround - SMALL - crossover to 60 Hz,
    ◊ Subwoofer - crossover to 60 Hz,
    ◊ LFE (Low Frequency Effects) channel - crossover to 120Hz.

    What is your opinion? I will listen ...

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North of New Orleans
    Posts
    3,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by apphd View Post
    Did you read the acticle linked, or many others on this subject?

    One quote from this article:
    "If your speaker can't put out more than 100dB at 20 Hz, set it to "small." "
    This sounds like an exaggeration.
    How many Polk Audio subwoofers can actually do this?

    For example
    Overall Frequency Response
    DSW microPRO 1000 22-200 Hz
    DSW microPRO 2000 22-200 Hz
    DSW Pro 400 25Hz - 160Hz
    DSW Pro 500 23Hz - 160Hz
    DSW Pro 600 20Hz - 160Hz
    Last edited by xcapri79; 10-10-2009 at 10:27 PM.

    Main HT/2 ch:
    Pioneer SC-07, BDP-05FD, Emotiva XPA-5 x 2, XPA-1 x 2,
    Polk Audio LSi25, RTi12 x 2, LSi15 x 4, LSiC x 2, PSW1000 x 4,

    MB HT/ 2 ch:
    LG 47LM5800, Pioneer SC-1523, BDP-23FD, Sony BDP-S790, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5,
    Polk Audio LSi25,15, CSi5, LSiFX, PSW505 x 4

    Listening Room 2 ch:
    McIntosh MC162, MC202, C15, C41, C42, MA6500, MA6900, MCD201
    Emotiva RSP-2, RPA-1, ERC-2
    Adcom GCD 750, GFP 750, GFA 5802
    Polk Audio LSi7,9, 15

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (7)

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    5,247

    Default

    I run mine as all small with an 80hz crossover. (no double bass)

    Basically for home theater, you should only set your speakers to large if they have better bass output (goes lower and at a higher level) than your subwoofer. If it does, set the speaker to large and start saving for a better sub.

    Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,323

    Default

    Set LSi15 to Large and Sub output to Both! Experiment Subwoofer and LFE Crossover Frequency between 60-80Hz and play with it. Use the best setting that works well in your room.

    If your sub has adjustable Low Pass Filter, set it a bit more than 80Hz (such as 90Hz or 100Hz).

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (11)

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Dixon, IL
    Posts
    6,519

    Default

    I've went back and forth between both methods several times...with several pairs of speakers.

    For HT usage...it's basically always going to sound better with the fronts set to small. I've got all of my speakers crossed over at 80 hz, with the subs LPF set at 120 hz...blends beautifully. With the fronts set to large it can add a huge over emphasis in the bass regions.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

  18. #18

    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Pa
    Posts
    13,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernal View Post
    Today update my Denon 4308Ci, and configure the speakers:

    ◊ Main speakers - LARGE,
    ◊ Center - SMALL - crossover to 60 Hz,
    ◊ Surround - SMALL - crossover to 60 Hz,
    ◊ Subwoofer - crossover to 60 Hz,
    ◊ LFE (Low Frequency Effects) channel - crossover to 120Hz.

    What is your opinion? I will listen ...
    Set the LFE out to 60hz , set the fronts to small 60hz. I would rather you set everything to 80hz but it will work good at 60 2. I had the same speaker setup and went back and forth with 60hz and 80hz. They both work very well but I remember ending up at 80hz for a final.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Richton Park,IL.
    Posts
    5,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    Set the LFE out to 60hz , set the fronts to small 60hz. I would rather you set everything to 80hz but it will work good at 60 2. I had the same speaker setup and went back and forth with 60hz and 80hz. They both work very well but I remember ending up at 80hz for a final.
    Agreed, 80hz always seem to work for me.
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

  20. #20

    Member Sales Rating: (7)

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    5,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    Set the LFE out to 60hz , set the fronts to small 60hz. I would rather you set everything to 80hz but it will work good at 60 2. I had the same speaker setup and went back and forth with 60hz and 80hz. They both work very well but I remember ending up at 80hz for a final.
    I agree with everything except setting the LFE at 60hz. It should be set at 120hz (or higher) always. There is information contained in the LFE channel up to 120hz. (that if truncated will not get directed anywhere else while you have a sub in the system.)

    Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

  21. #21

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NE PA
    Posts
    1,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xcapri79 View Post
    This sounds like an exaggeration.
    How many Polk Audio subwoofers can actually do this?

    For example
    Overall Frequency Response
    DSW microPRO 1000 22-200 Hz
    DSW microPRO 2000 22-200 Hz
    DSW Pro 400 25Hz - 160Hz
    DSW Pro 500 23Hz - 160Hz
    DSW Pro 600 20Hz - 160Hz
    I think the bigger question is how many main/tower speakers can put out <30 Hz with any authority. Also this is one of the reasons (deserving or not) that Polk subs were never a favorite for many people.

    Remember we are talking HT, and as you see from many posts LSi 15 owners do indeed prefer the large setting. The article and others have explained why, on average it should be small, but..... different rooms, different gear, different ears, different taste.......

    2 ch/music is much different, for many many years 90% of home users relied on nothing more than 2 speakers, and were very very happy, but bass has always been one of the more difficult to do well.

  22. #22

    Member Sales Rating: (10)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Magnolia, NJ
    Posts
    4,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xcapri79 View Post
    Given the spec. listed below, please explain why the LSi15 isn't full range?
    Overall Frequency Response 22Hz - 27kHz
    Lower -3dB Limit 30Hz
    Upper -3dB Limit 26kHz
    Small driver surface area, lack of cabinet air volumn, most likely a lack of power...to produce deep, powerfull bass you need good clean power, & lots of it. Tweeter, mid-bass & bass drivers all competing within the same cabinet. Crossover points muck things up a bit. You just can't expect everything crammed into a single box to do all things properly. Laws of physics & science. The same as the AVR vs separates argument...the AVR has everything crammed into a single box, so one can expect that something has to give. Whereas separates are designed for a single purpose only. And specs are easy to fudge according to what the manufacture wants them to say. Do alot of AVR & power amp ratings come to mind....eek!!!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

  23. #23

    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Pa
    Posts
    13,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McLoki View Post
    I agree with everything except setting the LFE at 60hz. It should be set at 120hz (or higher) always. There is information contained in the LFE channel up to 120hz. (that if truncated will not get directed anywhere else while you have a sub in the system.)

    Michael
    I did not know that. Can you post in detail this info or a link I can go read? I thought the 81hz and higher always went to the main channels for reproduction. I never thought to send those signals to a subwoofer. Interesting , but wouldn't 81hz to 120hz equate to localization?
    Thanks,
    Last edited by mantis; 10-11-2009 at 10:05 AM.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

  24. #24

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North of New Orleans
    Posts
    3,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xcapri79 View Post
    Overall Frequency Response 22Hz - 27kHz
    Lower -3dB Limit 30Hz
    Upper -3dB Limit 26kHz
    Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001 View Post
    Small driver surface area, lack of cabinet air volumn, most likely a lack of power...to produce deep, powerfull bass you need good clean power, & lots of it. Tweeter, mid-bass & bass drivers all competing within the same cabinet. Crossover points muck things up a bit. You just can't expect everything crammed into a single box to do all things properly. Laws of physics & science. The same as the AVR vs separates argument...the AVR has everything crammed into a single box, so one can expect that something has to give. Whereas separates are designed for a single purpose only. And specs are easy to fudge according to what the manufacture wants them to say. Do alot of AVR & power amp ratings come to mind....eek!!!!
    I quoted the LSi15 specs. from Polk Audio.
    Are you saying that Polk Audio is fudging their specs????
    The point I made is that LSi15's are powered by separate amps with plenty of power. I see no reason to set them to small in that case. Recommendations that apply to AVR using the built-in amps would not necessarily be the same vs separates. The THX recommendation to set all speakers to small with an 80Hz crossover doesn't always apply.

    Remember the topic here is the Polk Audio LSi15 and not everything else.
    Last edited by xcapri79; 10-11-2009 at 10:27 AM.

    Main HT/2 ch:
    Pioneer SC-07, BDP-05FD, Emotiva XPA-5 x 2, XPA-1 x 2,
    Polk Audio LSi25, RTi12 x 2, LSi15 x 4, LSiC x 2, PSW1000 x 4,

    MB HT/ 2 ch:
    LG 47LM5800, Pioneer SC-1523, BDP-23FD, Sony BDP-S790, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5,
    Polk Audio LSi25,15, CSi5, LSiFX, PSW505 x 4

    Listening Room 2 ch:
    McIntosh MC162, MC202, C15, C41, C42, MA6500, MA6900, MCD201
    Emotiva RSP-2, RPA-1, ERC-2
    Adcom GCD 750, GFP 750, GFA 5802
    Polk Audio LSi7,9, 15

  25. #25

    Member Sales Rating: (7)

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    5,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    I did not know that. Can you post in detail this info or a link I can go read? I thought the 81hz and higher always went to the main channels for reproduction. I never thought to send those signals to a subwoofer. Interesting , but wouldn't 81hz to 120hz equate to localization?
    Thanks,
    Sure - easy to get confused on it. (and remember I said - if you have a subwoofer in your system - if you have sub set to off or no and fronts set to large - I belive the LFE channel IS redirected to the fronts. If sub is set to on though (with no sub hooked up) and all speakers set to large - you will be missing quite a bit of bass in many movies. (since the LFE channel will not go anywhere))...

    Here is an article in UltimateAVmag. "Bass Management and the LFE Channel"

    Here is something from Secrets (back when they actually did decent reporting..) "The Misunderstood 0.1 LFE Channel in 5.1 Digital Surround Sound"

    And here is an article from Dolby explaining the LFE channel

    That should be enough to give you ideas of what else to search on. :)

    Happy Reading.

    Michael
    Last edited by McLoki; 10-11-2009 at 11:26 AM.
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

  26. #26

    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Pa
    Posts
    13,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McLoki View Post
    Sure - easy to get confused on it. (and remember I said - if you have a subwoofer in your system - if you have sub set to off or no and fronts set to large - I belive the LFE channel IS redirected to the fronts. If sub is set to on though (with no sub hooked up) and all speakers set to large - you will be missing quite a bit of bass in many movies. (since the LFE channel will not go anywhere))...

    Here is an article in UltimateAVmag. "Bass Management and the LFE Channel"

    Here is something from Secrets (back when they actually did decent reporting..) "The Misunderstood 0.1 LFE Channel in 5.1 Digital Surround Sound"

    And here is an article from Dolby explaining the LFE channel

    That should be enough to give you ideas of what else to search on. :)

    Happy Reading.

    Michael
    Cool thanks, I'm getting my read on.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

  27. #27
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    France and Costa Rica
    Posts
    987

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by McLoki View Post
    I agree with everything except setting the LFE at 60hz. It should be set at 120hz (or higher) always. There is information contained in the LFE channel up to 120hz. (that if truncated will not get directed anywhere else while you have a sub in the system.)

    Michael

    Quote Originally Posted by McLoki View Post
    Sure - easy to get confused on it. (and remember I said - if you have a subwoofer in your system - if you have sub set to off or no and fronts set to large - I belive the LFE channel IS redirected to the fronts. If sub is set to on though (with no sub hooked up) and all speakers set to large - you will be missing quite a bit of bass in many movies. (since the LFE channel will not go anywhere))...

    Here is an article in UltimateAVmag. "Bass Management and the LFE Channel"

    Here is something from Secrets (back when they actually did decent reporting..) "The Misunderstood 0.1 LFE Channel in 5.1 Digital Surround Sound"

    And here is an article from Dolby explaining the LFE channel

    That should be enough to give you ideas of what else to search on. :)

    Happy Reading.

    Michael
    Hi,
    Excellent information :). The theme of LFE channel was initially difficult. There is much confusion with the crossing of the subwoofer.

    ✓ In his opinion, go well with my setup:

    ◊ Main speakers - LARGE,
    ◊ Center - SMALL - crossover to 60 Hz,
    ◊ Surround - SMALL - crossover to 60 Hz,
    ◊ Subwoofer - crossover to 60 Hz,
    ◊ LFE (Low Frequency Effects) channel - crossover to 120Hz.


    ;)

    ✍ Here is my system:⇓

    01) DENON AVR-4308CI: Advanced 7.1 CH/5.1+2 CH/ 3.1+2+2 CH A/V Home Theater /MultiMedia Multi-Source/Zone Receiver with Networking and WiFi/170 watts x 7 channels
    02) SUNFIRE Grand Signature - Bob Carver's
    03) OPPO DV-980H 1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI and 7.1CH Audio
    04) OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player w/SACD & DVD-Audio / DENON DVD-2500BTCI: Blu-ray Disc™ DVD/CD Digital Player/Transport
    05) HITACHI P55T501. 55" HD1080 Plasma HDTV
    06) POLKAUDIO LSiC (Center speaker),
    07) POLKAUDIO LSi15 LEFT (Front speaker)
    08) POLKAUDIO LSi15 RIGHT (Front speaker)
    09) POLKAUDIO LSif/x LEFT (Surround speaker),
    10) POLKAUDIO LSif/x RIGHT (Surround speaker).
    11) VELODYNE OPTIMUN 12" (High Output Digital EQ SubWoofer 2400W/1200WRMS).
    Last edited by Bernal; 10-11-2009 at 01:04 PM.

  28. #28

    Member Sales Rating: (10)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Magnolia, NJ
    Posts
    4,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xcapri79 View Post
    I quoted the LSi15 specs. from Polk Audio.
    Are you saying that Polk Audio is fudging their specs????
    The point I made is that LSi15's are powered by separate amps with plenty of power. I see no reason to set them to small in that case. Recommendations that apply to AVR using the built-in amps would not necessarily be the same vs separates. The THX recommendation to set all speakers to small with an 80Hz crossover doesn't always apply.

    Remember the topic here is the Polk Audio LSi15 and not everything else.
    If you honestly believe that the 15's are capable of "Real" fullrange performance then by all means enjoy! The only thing that matters in this crazy hobby is what makes sense to you. Bottom line...enjoy the music!!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

  29. #29

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,323

    Default

    For THX system, LFE shouldn't be set too high. LFE channel has brick wall filter of 120Hz but bass over 80Hz is starting to be directional and I think some people can hear where it's coming from.

    Also, male voices can be down to 80Hz-120Hz region and your sub will be playing human voices if the LFE channel has these voices encoded accidentally (though not very likely).

    Setting LFE to 120Hz ensure all bass recorded in LFE will be played though your sub but THX standard calls for setting it to 80Hz.

    Anyway, play with it and use what is best in your room.

  30. #30
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    France and Costa Rica
    Posts
    987

    Smile What is the LFE (.1) Channel?

    Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    I did not know that. Can you post in detail this info or a link I can go read? I thought the 81hz and higher always went to the main channels for reproduction. I never thought to send those signals to a subwoofer. Interesting , but wouldn't 81hz to 120hz equate to localization?
    Thanks,

    What is the LFE (.1) Channel?:
    http://www.genelecusa.com/faq/multichannel/lfe-channel/
    Attached Images  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Need Help Crossover settings - Large or small?
    By Igo in forum Speakers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-22-2008, 09:45 PM
  2. cross over and large vs small settings?
    By higgins79 in forum Speakers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 03:07 PM
  3. Speaker settings, small vs. large
    By markopolo in forum Speakers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-23-2006, 12:35 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 03:39 PM
  5. Receiver Set Up: Small or Large
    By bembol in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-19-2005, 10:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts