Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default How many watts do I need for ideal sound with Polk Monitor 70 speakers?

I have just bought a Onkyo TX-SR707 reciever. It is 100 watts X 7.2. I have (4) Monitor 70 speakers and CS2 Center speaker with PSW505 subwoofer. Is this going to be enough watts to get optimal performance and best tone from these speakers?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Welcome to the Club..wesouth.

And yes, I'm temporarily back 'guys'. Have been in Beijing for 2 months with Chinese filters blocking my forum access, if you can believe that. I am still in China but I think I have a work-around...missed everyone!

Now to your question...an Onkyo 707 is a good choice for that speaker set. Plenty of power for it...Ms are very efficient. I've run them with an Onkyo 605, Denon 110 W AVR and an Onkyo 805 (130w)....

And I've also hooked them up to an Adcom 555...which is a 200 watt x 2 amp. The Adcom sounded the best but the M70s sound OK at lower power for HT....with a good power amp they sound their best.

Fortunately the 707 has pre-outs for a power amp so you can add one if you wish in the future. But it is NOT absolutely necessary...

Hope this helps!

cnh

Welcome to Club Polk.
    You have a nice set-up, but you might want to look at an external amp., based on your listening habits. IF you listen to music in 2 channel mode, at a loud level, then I'd suggest a 2 ch. amp rated at 200 watts/ ch.
    If you listen to multi-ch. sources at loud levels, then 5 channel, same rating.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!

I agree with the guys on this one, and WELCOME BACK CNH!! I got a PM about you the other day asking if you were still alive, lol. Back on topic, I have Monitor 70's as my fronts and I power them with an Onkyo 806, match made in heaven, lol. Your 707 will get the job done just fine. You may want to add an external amp down the road, but as mentioned it is not a must. Welcome to Club Polk.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D

My personal policy regardless of speaker is 100wrms or don't even bother. Less than 100 just stay home!

Save and get the Emotiva XPA-5.. Those receivers are really weak especially when running more than 2 channel together.

I have the T90e's aka monitor 60 powered by a Sony STR-DG820 (5.1 channels = <35wpc). In 2 channel direct mode, the speakers sound good (getting the most power). But if I invoke the 2.1 or go to 5.1 settings, I have to crank the volume way up.

My receiver does not have pre-out. So I'm saving for a Marantz SR 6003 or SR 8002 (both used). These will give be a temporary power boost until, next year. That's when I may spring for a Emo XPA-5.

Default What is a good external amp and set up for audio listening?

I like HiFi audio listening mainly but also want to use as my home theater speakers. I selected the Monitor 70s front and rear because I wanted a nice audio system for Music. If anyone has any ideas on a really great way to set up or some ideas let me know what works. Thanks

Welcome to CP Wesouth.

There are lots of good amp brands out there & you can get even more for your money if you purchase used from Audiogon.

Take a look at Outlaw, Emotiva, Parasound, Sunfire, B & K, Rotel, Nad, Adcom.

I always recommend at least 200wpc. This seems to be the point where just about everyone can hear a clear & distinct improvment.

Save up for a 5-7 channel amp to power all of your speakers & be done with this upgrade once & for all.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (7)

lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti

Quality over quantity......

50wpc with a couple of db's of headroom and you are in the clear in most applications.

That's a fact, Jack.

That said, there is nothing wrong with more power, all things being equal. The REAL difference between a 100wpc amp and a 200 wpc amp? 3db. So, don't be afraid of a solid, albeit lower powered, amp.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Maybe look into a Emotiva UPA-2. I bought one for a still in progress , moddest 2 channel set up (office). While I am still finding some of the other components, I stuck it into my HT set-up. My Denon is rated at 115 wpc (I think) and the difference in soundstage, clarity, and bass response is very noticeable. My RTi10s have never sounded this good. I know it doesn't follow the 200wpc rule but I was shocked by the difference. I haven't listened to the Monitor series but it's just an idea......
    HT-- Denon avr-2808ci,Emotiva UPA-1s, RTi 10's, CSi A6, ERD-1 surrounds, Vizio P50, Yamaha yst-sw300, DVR hr21, 40g PS3, APC-h15

Downstairs-- Denon avr-3300,Emotiva UPA-2, Toshiba 50" rear projection, Denon 2200 sacd, Emotiva ERM-1s, small Yamaha sub

Thread Information