Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Question about Onkyo TX-SR707

I'm considering purchasing a Onkyo TX-SR707 to drive a HT system of front TRi A7's, center RTiA4 and surround RTi A1s. I am some rookie questions.

1. Will the Onkyo be up to job for both music and HT?

2. Is the lack of a USP port a major flaw?

3. What sub would you suggest for this system?

Many thanks.:D

Member Sales Rating: (5)

1)I found my Onk to be totally up to the task for HT but a little lacking for Music. Sound was pretty good, just under powered. Overall though, I like the Onkyo. Very neutral.
    Also, you can add outboard amps later if you find you want to and it will likely improve things dramatically. Better dynamics, etc.

2)I don't think so. You might though.

3)The biggest, baddest sub you can afford. You won't regret it. ;)

SVS, Epic, Velodyne, Polk DSW Micro... I honestly have no experience with any of these but they are all fairly well regarded here and elsewhere.
    Last edited by vc69; 10-28-2009 at 05:03 PM.
    -Kevin
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)

Polk LS 90's - Front
    Polk CS350 LS - Center
    Polk Monitor 50's - Rear
    JBL Northridge E150P - Sub

2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    Polk LS90's (spiked & tweeked)
    Cardas IC's
    Cardas Bi-Wire

Quote Originally Posted by SugarmillMan View Post
    I'm considering purchasing a Onkyo TX-SR707 to drive a HT system of front TRi A7's, center RTiA4 and surround RTi A1s. I am some rookie questions.

1. Will the Onkyo be up to job for both music and HT?

2. Is the lack of a USP port a major flaw?

3. What sub would you suggest for this system?

Many thanks.:D
    You should get Onkyo TX-NR 1007 9.2 channels receivers so you don't have to worry about any future upgrade. I heard a lot of review about TX-NR1007 and 3007 on avsforum. Of course, it's expensive. You could get one for newegg.com only on Saturday (a huge discount). I have Onkyo TX-SR707, TX-NR1007 and 3007. The only good thing about Onkyo TX-SR707 is front HDMI. The specs is kinda similiar to last year model Onkyo TX-SR706. You could get Onkyo TX-SR706 for $470 on shoponkyo.com

1) I am not sure about TX-SR707 but i am sure your speaker is gonna up another levels with TX-NR1007.
    2) Not really! I don't think it's very important to have USP. I only USP to update firmware. I did network update and USB update on my TX-NR 1007 and 3007.
    3) 2 Subwoofers?
    Samsung UN46C8000
    Integra DTR-70.2 9.2 channels receiver
    Martin Logan Source Special Edition Front (Dark Cherry)
    Polk LsiC Center speaker (Ebony) (no Cherry)
    Polk Lsi9 Surround (Dark Cherry)
    Polk Lsi7 Back Surround (Dark Cherry)
    Polk Micro PSW3000 Subwoofer
    Sony Playstation 3
    Thermaltake DH 103 case HTPC

FYI, If you are looking at getting the Onkyo-876, Amazon.com has a good deal going, about $875 or so. HTH.

Default TX-SR807 problems??

On another forum, many are reporting difficulites with the Onkyo TX-SR807. Specifically, they are having problems with the networking features and faulty displays. There are many, many returns of these receivers to the sellers and exchanges. It's downright scary.

Has anyone here had a major difficulties or had to return any of these units for exchange/repair?

Member Sales Rating: (31)

I had to return a 705 earlier this year. Other than having to deal with a tech support operator who knew next to nothing, the process was pretty painless.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Where did you purchase your unit?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

The 707 is fine and as said above you can add external amps and your speaks will sound even better....if you don't plan to add external amps....you'd get slightly better sound from an 876 and more power...that would also be true of the 1000+ series models.

A good cheap sub (they're selling like hotcakes on newegg.com is the Polk PSW505). For only 250 shipped its hard to beat...300 watts and lows to 28hz +/-3db.. a nice mate for the A7s....should fill in some low end.

If you've got a BIGGER sub budget there are even better subs! But this is a good 'start'.

cnh

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Direct, through ClubOnkyo.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

I got my 805 the same way Face did...at an absolutely ridiculous price....I also had some Onkyo dollars and a free shipping offer....so if you're patient you could make a killing. The unit arrived in perfect condition. I couldn't even tell it was a refurbished unit...not a scratch....only down side is a one year instead of two year warranty.

You can find some great deals there from time to time.

cnh

Thanks for the tips on the receiver shopping places and the subwoofer. The sub does seem like an exceptional value. Anyone disagree with this?

this amp is kinda pricey here in manila....

but i kinda like the idea of pre-outs ...... so i can mate it with dedicated power amp in the future :)

but this amp's continious power output seems way good already for my TSI 300 if we are talking about headroom

I have an Onkyo 607 and it fits the bill for my home theater setup. The setup menus and Audyssey setup make working the head unit a charm.
    ~Dan
    --------

Projector: Epson 705HD on 106" DaLite
    TV: Samsung 50" Plasma PN50B550
    Receiver: Onkyo 607
    Fronts: Polk 1000i
    Center: Polk Csi40
    Rears: Polk Fxi30
    Sub: Velodyne Minivee 10
    PS3 and Xbox

Pre-outs a great thing to have...but the Onkyo 600 series is a value oriented entry receiver that can do a nice job with efficient HT speakers.

cnh

Default Subwoofer outs on receiver question

cnh- The PSW505 was a good value and I purchased one. Now I have a question about routing the subwoofer.

I am using an older Technics Receiver (1999 vintage) and running RTiA7 speakers as fronts. Am I better off using the LFE single wire to my receiver's subwoofer out or am I better off routing the main receiver channels into the subwoofer and then to the main speakers? The receivers crossover choices are fixed at 100, 150 or 200.

Is one method better sounding in any way? Thanks for your advice or anyone else who has done this.

Dan

Thread Information