Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default DVR Audio Out Options

I have an HD DVR from Time Warner, its a Scientific Atlantic model. It has no HDMI out, just component video which I'm fine with because programming is 1080i anyway. On the audio side, I'd like to use the optical out instead of the red/white cables it came with standard.

1.) On my Onkyo 607, I'm not sure where to plug in the optical from the DVR. It has inputs but none of them are labeled cable TV in or anything. Where can I plug the optical in so the Onkyo picks it up?

2.) Is there an advantage of moving to the optical versus the red/white cables?

Thanks,
    ~Dan
    --------

Projector: Epson 705HD on 106" DaLite
    TV: Samsung 50" Plasma PN50B550
    Receiver: Onkyo 607
    Fronts: Polk 1000i
    Center: Polk Csi40
    Rears: Polk Fxi30
    Sub: Velodyne Minivee 10
    PS3 and Xbox

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Quote Originally Posted by dvran View Post
    I have an HD DVR from Time Warner, its a Scientific Atlantic model. It has no HDMI out, just component video which I'm fine with because programming is 1080i anyway. On the audio side, I'd like to use the optical out instead of the red/white cables it came with standard.

1.) On my Onkyo 607, I'm not sure where to plug in the optical from the DVR. It has inputs but none of them are labeled cable TV in or anything. Where can I plug the optical in so the Onkyo picks it up?

2.) Is there an advantage of moving to the optical versus the red/white cables?

Thanks,

There is an advantage. The internal DAC on the DVR probably sucks, and the DAC in your Onkyo, while not amazing, will probably be better, and if the DVR is capable of outputting true surround sound, you'll be able to enjoy that as well.

None of the opticals on that unit will be labeled like that. I think it's just Optical or SPDIF 1, 2, 3, etc.

Just throw it in one of them, and select that input on your Onkyo while in "TV" mode, and it'll remember that.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

I have also noticed lipsync issues with red/white rca cables when going through a receiver. The Optical never has this issue.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Any chance you can exchange that box for one with HDMI? Seem like it may be a possibility. Concealer steered you right if not.
    -Kevin
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)

Polk LS 90's - Front
    Polk CS350 LS - Center
    Polk Monitor 50's - Rear
    JBL Northridge E150P - Sub

2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    Polk LS90's (spiked & tweeked)
    Cardas IC's
    Cardas Bi-Wire

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by vc69 View Post
    Any chance you can exchange that box for one with HDMI? Seem like it may be a possibility. Concealer steered you right if not.
    I'll call and check, but thanks.

When I saw your sig, I thought about the fact that I don't have HDMI with a HD DVR box which doesn't make sense. I guess Comcast is cooler. :) Time Warner gave me this "big ass" 5 wire component cable that's like 6 feet long to travel 2 feet to my receiver. I mainly just wanted to get rid of that cable because its so thick and hard to hide/bend. Thank god for HDMI, its so clean and simple.
    ~Dan
    --------

Projector: Epson 705HD on 106" DaLite
    TV: Samsung 50" Plasma PN50B550
    Receiver: Onkyo 607
    Fronts: Polk 1000i
    Center: Polk Csi40
    Rears: Polk Fxi30
    Sub: Velodyne Minivee 10
    PS3 and Xbox

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Quote Originally Posted by dvran View Post
    I'll call and check, but thanks.

When I saw your sig, I thought about the fact that I don't have HDMI with a HD DVR box which doesn't make sense. I guess Comcast is cooler. :) Time Warner gave me this "big ass" 5 wire component cable that's like 6 feet long to travel 2 feet to my receiver. I mainly just wanted to get rid of that cable because its so thick and hard to hide/bend. Thank god for HDMI, its so clean and simple.
    LoL. :)

HDMI seems to be both a blessing and a curse depending on who you ask. I have had excellent results with it in my rig.

Comcast ain't too cool. Here, Comcast was Time-Warner until about 5 years or so ago.

Good luck, I think it's worth asking.
    -Kevin
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)

Polk LS 90's - Front
    Polk CS350 LS - Center
    Polk Monitor 50's - Rear
    JBL Northridge E150P - Sub

2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    Polk LS90's (spiked & tweeked)
    Cardas IC's
    Cardas Bi-Wire

Member Sales Rating: (15)

FYI, U-Verse DVR box has HDMI outs as well. Two, actually. :p And a set of component outs, and two sets of analog audio outs, and the Optical out. :D
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Thread Information