Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default LSi level is closer to a Paradigm sound or B&W sound

Basically the title says it all. I be referring to the Paradigm studio then lesser lines. I feel the Signature series sounds pretty close to the studio as well(having heard both). The B&W be more the 600 or the 800 series. Again there are some differences in there lines but I was more focusing of the general sound they are after and how it compares the LSi line.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany View Post
    Basically the title says it all. I be referring to the Paradigm studio then lesser lines. I feel the Signature series sounds pretty close to the studio as well(having heard both). The B&W be more the 600 or the 800 series. Again there are some differences in there lines but I was more focusing of the general sound they are after and how it compares the LSi line.
    LSi level is closer to 803d B & W sound
    LSi + Sufire (800 w per channel) gives me better sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernal View Post
    so you think the LSi sound is alittle more laid back compared the more up front sound of the Paradigms.

I replaced my LSiC with a PSB Synchrony One Center and it blended right in with the LSi15s. I did not even have to change the AVR levels. Overall, it made a better, bigger, clearer center that seemlessly moves inot and out the L/R LSi15s.

When I listen to my 2 channel system in the living room with its PSB Synchrony One towers, and then listen to the HT in 2 channel I am surprised, and pleased, at how close the LSi15s are to the PSBs.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    I replaced my LSiC with a PSB Synchrony One Center and it blended right in with the LSi15s. I did not even have to change the AVR levels. Overall, it made a better, bigger, clearer center that seemlessly moves inot and out the L/R LSi15s.

When I listen to my 2 channel system in the living room with its PSB Synchrony One towers, and then listen to the HT in 2 channel I am surprised, and pleased, at how close the LSi15s are to the PSBs.
    I don't want to get too off topic but after trying the LSiC I got a used Onix Rocket BigFoot as my center speaker. The Bigfoot uses I believe the same tweeter as the LSi25s and I noticed that is was an update to the center channel in full of the center from the LSiC. I did have enough power to run it with a XPA-5.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by Bernal View Post
    What was runng the B&W's? I know too well that the B&W's are in a totaly differant league and the 2 don't even belong in the same room.
    I'm not saying that the Lsi's are bad but there is a reason they are at differant price points and that the B&W's need proper equipment, placement and the room is more critical and when these are met the B&W's will shine. That is what makes the higher B&W's kind of a pain they are a needy speaker to get them to shine.

Dave

Member Sales Rating: (1)

so you think the LSi sound is alittle more laid back compared the more up front sound of the Paradigms.
    Yes, Both the Lsi and B&W are a lil laid-back with nice warmth.
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Quote Originally Posted by dave shepard View Post
    What was runng the B&W's? I know too well that the B&W's are in a totaly differant league and the 2 don't even belong in the same room.
    Says who? Some of the worst sounding big dollar rigs that I've heard had B&W speakers.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    Says who? Some of the worst sounding big dollar rigs that I've heard had B&W speakers.
    Dude don't you think going 803's is a stretch for the Lsi's? The Lsi's are really good and very nice speakers but 803?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

I'd go with BlueFox and say the LSi is not a bad match for PSB.

B&W? No, and aside from the high end, usually sound awful in person. They should really work on their dealer network....much like Polk Audio.

Since we were talking about opinions...

I disliked 802D's and any other 600/800 series that I've heard. I'd take a pair of LSi15's over any pair of speakers that I dislike any day, wouldn't you?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

I would. B&W is overrated.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    So is many things Audio! Polk is underrated by a Huge Margin and people just don't know how good LSi can be.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone.

how would the S2 compare with the Usher X-719 or BE version compared to LSi9s?

Member Sales Rating: (7)

I think Paradigm and B&W both have a very similar sonic signature. Neither of them sound much like the LSi's.

As to what is better - it depends on what sound you like and what equipment you run them with. (If you use everything the same - I would guess the Paradigm's or B&W will sound a little to brite or the LSi's a little to laid back)
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

Quote Originally Posted by McLoki View Post
    I think Paradigm and B&W both have a very similar sonic signature. Neither of them sound much like the LSi's.

As to what is better - it depends on what sound you like and what equipment you run them with. (If you use everything the same - I would guess the Paradigm's or B&W will sound a little to brite or the LSi's a little to laid back)
    really I heard the 685 and 20s studio v5 and don't sounds at all alike. I say B&W are more laid back then studios.

how would the S2 compare with the Usher X-719 or BE version compared to LSi9s?
    I believe the X-719 is tonally a better loudspeaker than the S2. The BE while nice and crisp loses me as a fan in overall performance. It's too sterile but my experience with it is fairly limited. I've had much more head time with the rest of the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post

My friend has a PSB Synch setup, and the center is huge....
    High school and high-fi don't mesh well, wallet-wise.

Home: Polk Audio LSi15 -> Onkyo TX-SR805 -> WDTV HD Media Server
    PC: Energy RC-10 -> Onkyo Integrated Amp -> X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro
    Portable: ES3X | UE11 Pro | JH13 -> Samsung P3|iTouch 3G
    Wishlist: Specialized Tarmac Elite|full carbon build

really I heard the 685 and 20s studio v5 and don't sounds at all alike. I say B&W are more laid back then studios.
    For Paradigm I have heard the monitor and studio series (ver. 3 or 4)
    For B&W I have heard the 700 and 800 series. (never heard the 600 series)

I still say they sound similar to me and nothing like the LSi's.

Oh well - to each their own. (and I am still in the LSi camp - but would like some better matching electronics.)

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Agreed
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti

Blasphemy.

A am a BIG lover of the B&W 800 series....different strokes for left handed people. I've gotten a few demos over the years. The 802's are the sweetspot, IMO. I like them better than the 801's. I'd hump Mark's leg for a pair of 802's and a big Classe amp to drive them.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Member Sales Rating: (8)

I could only take 30 seconds of a Classe/B&W rig. Awful. Simply awful.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

PSB I've heard, LSis I've heard, B&W I've only 'seen'? But since I like laid back tweeters and highs..I really really dislike BRIGHT sounding anything. I'd go with the LSis for now...at least until I hear some B&Ws which tons of people absolutely 'rave' about...including, it seems, our own Troy--what a recommendation!!

cnh

Quote Originally Posted by MillerLiteScott View Post
    I could only take 30 seconds of a Classe/B&W rig. Awful. Simply awful.
    Same here!

Banned

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by dave shepard View Post
    I'm not saying that the Lsi's are bad but there is a reason they are at differant price points and that the B&W's need proper equipment, placement and the room is more critical and when these are met the B&W's will shine. That is what makes the higher B&W's kind of a pain they are a needy speaker to get them to shine.

Dave
    Sorry, not meaning to different league and different room?.
    It's price, in my opinion is silent when it comes to audio.
    The ear is the best judge.
    Listen 803d B & W in my house and also a distributor that specializes in audio.
    In both cases the processor and appropriate amplification.
    LSi + amplification at 800 watts per channel = best.
    Yes! LSis will sound fuller, richer, more detailed and have a better sound stage and better imaging.
    Last edited by Bernal; 10-29-2009 at 06:07 PM.

Well, personally I liked the Paradigm Signatures. They are in the same price range as the 800 series from B&W. I found the Signature series, the S2s, to be more neutral than the sound of the LSis. The Paradigm studios I found to be a little more on the brighter side, and the B&Ws, the 600s, to be more on the warmer sounding side. I've heard the 800s are more detailed than the 600 series but I didn't get to listen to them long enough to know. These were the newer S series of the 800s.
    Last edited by chrisfromalbany; 10-29-2009 at 10:33 PM.

Thread Information