Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Default Two very simple questionis - amp/avr

hi all...

Quickly...
    1) What kind of connector do I need for an amp to preouts? Is it a simple two prong RCA chord, and where in the preouts do I plug it in? There are 7 spots for it.

2) What db level is too loud? The avr is set to 0db max, but at -20, the speakers are kicking loud. Not sure if there would be damage at 0db or not. Is there some general rule?

Thanks,

James

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Quote Originally Posted by Pycroft View Post
    hi all...

Quickly...
    1) What kind of connector do I need for an amp to preouts? Is it a simple two prong RCA chord, and where in the preouts do I plug it in? There are 7 spots for it.

2) What db level is too loud? The avr is set to 0db max, but at -20, the speakers are kicking loud. Not sure if there would be damage at 0db or not. Is there some general rule?

Thanks,

James
    1) RCA/interconnects, yes. You just run each output to the amp you want, making sure it's going to the speakers you want. If you run a 7.1 system, then you'll need 7 interconnects, and 7 channels of amplification if you want to amplify all channels.

2) There's no real general rule, damage occurs because of dirty power and clipping/distortion. As long as you're not doing that, rock away.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

RCA's to the corrosponding speaker on the receiver input. You really shouldn't go past the half way point with the volume.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (0)

go past the half way point with the volume.
    +1! 50% max of the power will provide for good SQ while it elimates the possibility of ever clipping or distord the signal.

NOTE: make sure you don't use the cheap RCA interconnects normally provided with most equipment but ratter a good coax type interconnect (unless you are willing to spend some good $$$ for exotic/esoteric interconnects)

Cheers!
    TK

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Somethign that was said was a bit confusing. Just to make sure...I plug the speakers into the amp, and the amp is connected to the AVR via RCA connections to the preamp section in the back...correct?

James

Quote Originally Posted by Pycroft View Post
    Somethign that was said was a bit confusing. Just to make sure...I plug the speakers into the amp, and the amp is connected to the AVR via RCA connections to the preamp section in the back...correct?

James
    Yeah.

I worded my explanation terribly, i apologize. :o
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

How great your info is!But Can you give some more sample questions and answers.I really want to get more info about this topicIt really useful for me. Thanks.

Reported proslithe, here is some more info on the topic...............Take a hike no simulation, the real thing

Play it as loud as you want! As long as it is not distorting hammer down :D
    Media Room 7.1
    Sharp lc37d64u | Sanus vmsab-03 | Sonax ZX8680 | Yamaha htr-6290b | Emotiva xpa1 x 2 & xpa5 | RTiA 9 & 7 | CSiA 6 | FXiA 6 | Sanus NF30B-03 | Velodyne dls-3750r | Dual 505-3 m97xe | Monster avs2000/hts5100

HTPC
    Intel e5300 | Asus p5q DLX | LG ch08 BD | OCZ 4g reaper2 | WD 1TB | Sapphire 4890 VaporX 1g | Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 | OCZ modXtreme 700w | Antec Fusion remote MAX

A fool and his money are easily parted
    I don't drink Koolaid

Need some cable's? Just ask :)

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by sTiLlLeArNiNg View Post
    Play it as loud as you want! As long as it is not distorting hammer down :D
    Not really great advice. The human ear usually starts to detect distortion at about 10%, some who are trained/experienced can recgonize it at about 3-5%and those that are oblivious won't recognize it until the speaker stops working.

10% distortion before you notice it can and will damage something. So I'd advise NOT putting the "hammer down" until you are more familiar with your rig. Usually the first thing to happen when overdriving an amp, before audible distortion, is a collapse of the sound stage, but unless you are experienced to hear something more subtle like that, CAUTION is the word of the day.

H9
    Last edited by heiney9; 11-02-2009 at 04:24 PM.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Not really great advice. The human ear usually starts to detect distortion at about 10%, some who are trained/experienced can recgonize it at about 3-5%and those that are oblivious won't recognize it until the speaker stops working.

10% distortion before you notice it can and will damage something. So I'd advise NOT putting the "hammer down" until you are more familiar with your rig. Usually the first thing to happen when overdriving an amp, before audible distortion, is a collapse of the sound stage, but unless you are experienced to hear something more subtle like that, CAUTION is the word of the day.

H9
    I guess it's a good thing i'm NOT deaf then! lol

You just dislike everything i say don't ya? Do you even own any Polk product's?
    Media Room 7.1
    Sharp lc37d64u | Sanus vmsab-03 | Sonax ZX8680 | Yamaha htr-6290b | Emotiva xpa1 x 2 & xpa5 | RTiA 9 & 7 | CSiA 6 | FXiA 6 | Sanus NF30B-03 | Velodyne dls-3750r | Dual 505-3 m97xe | Monster avs2000/hts5100

HTPC
    Intel e5300 | Asus p5q DLX | LG ch08 BD | OCZ 4g reaper2 | WD 1TB | Sapphire 4890 VaporX 1g | Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 | OCZ modXtreme 700w | Antec Fusion remote MAX

I don't drink Koolaid

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Keep it cool...heiney9 owns a number of Polk speakers...SDAs and Monitors....see his posts.

cnh

H9's advice is solid. No matter what you own, it has limitations. Following hammerhead's advice, you may risk damaging your gear. My general rule is, if it sounds too loud, then it probably is and I'll back the volume down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    H9's advice is solid. No matter what you own, it has limitations. Following hammerhead's advice, you may risk damaging your gear. My general rule is, if it sounds too loud, then it probably is and I'll back the volume down a bit.
    Precisely. Common Sense goes a looong way.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

I guess it's a good thing i'm NOT deaf then! lol

You just dislike everything i say don't ya? Do you even own any Polk product's?
    You seem to take things very personally. My advice is solid and sensible and I'm not at all saying you can't crank a rig and rock out. Just the fact that by the time you hear the distortion, many times it's too late and that using distortion as a measuring stick to turn it down is risky.

What does whether or not I own Polk products have anything to do with anything on this board? I guess you're not deaf, but you can't read.

H9
    Last edited by heiney9; 11-03-2009 at 08:09 AM.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

I guess you're not deaf, but you can't read.
    He's sTiLlLeArNiNg. ;) :D

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    Precisely. Common Sense goes a looong way.

Why yes, YES it does :)

You seem to take things very personally. My advice is solid and sensible and I'm not at all saying you can't crank a rig and rock out. Just the fact that by the time you hear the distortion, many times it's too late and that using distortion as a measuring stick to turn it down is risky.

What does whether or not I own Polk products have anything to do with anything on this board? I guess you're not deaf, but you can't read.

H9
    The only time's in my life i have EVER killed a driver was intentionally! :D

I have always liked to listen to my rig at very high level's and my dumb ear's have served me well thus far! Especially considering that i live in an IGLOO and my ear's are frozen because it is always -25c

Well considering this is the Polk Audio forum i thought it is kind of a pre requisite? Do you visit/post on any other forum's? If so do they all share the same idea's as you, especially the one's you so vehemently express here?

He's sTiLlLeArNiNg. ;) :D
    It's been ~ 3 month's keiko and you still forget! Maybe it's time you get checked for alzheimer's ;)

Now if you'll excuse i need to prep the sled for a trip into town for supplies :D
    Media Room 7.1

HTPC

I don't drink Koolaid

Member Sales Rating: (7)

lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti

Any chance that you go back to your other forums...and stay??

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Well considering this is the Polk Audio forum i thought it is kind of a pre requisite?
    If you bothered to look at my sig or read (with comprehension half of my responses on this board over the past few years) you'd know that I have SDA 1C's and Monitor 5B's (my 2nd pair) I've owned LSi 9's and RTA 11T's and used to sell Polk Audio in the late 80's thru the early 90's and have heard just about every model made, except for some of the very new stuff.

Again, what does it have to do with the tea in China? BTW, emoticons don't disqualify you from being a douche.

H9
    Last edited by heiney9; 11-03-2009 at 09:54 PM.

The point still remains is that you can't hear the first 1% of distortion, no matter how much you want to say that you can, and that's the end of it.

You can get butt-hurt over it all you want, but you're the one that's looking like a douche here. Your advice was NOT good. You NEVER just tell someone to crank it as loud as they want because you never know who is going to take that literally. That's just common sense.

H9 is right, and he has Polk gear. So seriously. STFU.

And the fact that you agreed with Cathy when she was agreeing with H9 is just hilarious to me, when you spend the time to go back and forth with H9 saying that he's wrong. WTF is wrong with you?

Quote Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
    The point still remains is that you can't hear the first 1% of distortion, no matter how much you want to say that you can, and that's the end of it.

You can get butt-hurt over it all you want, but you're the one that's looking like a douche here. Your advice was NOT good. You NEVER just tell someone to crank it as loud as they want because you never know who is going to take that literally. That's just common sense.

And the fact that you agreed with Cathy when she was agreeing with H9 is just hilarious to me, when you spend the time to go back and forth with H9 saying that he's wrong. WTF is wrong with you?
    He's a F-tard. ;)

Member Sales Rating: (58)

I wasn't aware it was possible to get a simple answer here....

1) Standard RCA, Front L & R pre-outs.
    2) You're going to have to figure that out on your own.
    Last edited by dorokusai; 11-04-2009 at 05:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyD View Post
    Any chance that you go back to your other forums...and stay??

BDT

Simply put = No

If you bothered to look at my sig or read (with comprehension half of my responses on this board over the past few years) you'd know that I have SDA 1C's and Monitor 5B's (my 2nd pair) I've owned LSi 9's and RTA 11T's and used to sell Polk Audio in the late 80's thru the early 90's and have heard just about every model made, except for some of the very new stuff.

Again, what does it have to do with the tea in China? BTW, emoticons don't disqualify you from being a douche.

H9
    Oh you must have just put them there because i never noticed them before. I'm glad you have owned Polk equipment, i was just curious and asked the question! No need for you to get all bent up over it

Quote Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post

You never cease to make me laugh! Thank you :)

He's a F-tard. ;)
    Such inspiring word's :)
    Media Room 7.1

HTPC

I don't drink Koolaid

Thread Information