Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (26)

DPowell, just FYI.....do not ever power on the Anthem without it being hooked up to a load. If you do, bad juju will happen. Good luck with the speakers and congrat's on the amp purchase.

Between all of us here, we will find you a pre to do your rig justice. You are well on your way to assembling a really nice rig. Good on ya'!
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    DPowell, just FYI.....do not ever power on the Anthem without it being hooked up to a load. If you do, bad juju will happen. Good luck with the speakers and congrat's on the amp purchase.

Between all of us here, we will find you a pre to do your rig justice. You are well on your way to assembling a really nice rig. Good on ya'!
    Thanks for the tip. I would have never known. By load, do you mean connected to a preamp or connected to the speakers?

Would the Aric tubed pre that Jerry is selling for $220 in the FS be a respectable place to start for a pre?
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Home Theater: polkaudio Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL's, LSiM706c, 4 X TC265i Rears, SVS PB12 Plus/2
    Pioneer Elite SC-67, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, Oppo BDP-83[/SIZE]

Speakers.

As for the pre in the FS? Eh, I'll defer to those who have heard this pre or know more about it. I saw it this morning and it may be the ticket for you but I have no personal experience with it so I can not comment. Sorry.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

The Auric would be better than using a reciever or a cheap Adcom, by far. But it will most likely be a stepping stone. It does have some flexibility with the tubes it can use.

Really depends on how soon you want to get a "real" nice pre-amp. This would give you an opportunity to save for awhile and still have a very nice useable rig in the meantime.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    The Auric would be better than using a reciever or a cheap Adcom, by far. But it will most likely be a stepping stone. It does have some flexibility with the tubes it can use.

Really depends on how soon you want to get a "real" nice pre-amp. This would give you an opportunity to save for awhile and still have a very nice useable rig in the meantime.
    That's what I'm thinking. I know I can spring for this pre without too much negotiation and have something working while I save up for a 'real' nice pre. Jesse did PM me last night and mentioned another forum member has a Dodd ELP he's going to sell. I'm waiting to see if that develops and what the price is going to end up being before I pull the trigger either way.

Jerry said that he might be able to include a pair of Audioquest G-Snakes with the pre.
    Home Theater: polkaudio Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL's, LSiM706c, 4 X TC265i Rears, SVS PB12 Plus/2

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Either of those choices are better than my 400 by a good chunk. If you've got the scratch to get either one, then you should do it. With the rest of what you've got going, mine would be good really just to get it all up and running. :)
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

One other question for the masters here. I have an offer of $300 on my Denon 3910. It still have 6 months of warranty left on it. I'm wondering if this is the right time to let it go and grab a dedicated higher-end CDP.....

Member Sales Rating: (15)

If you've got the money, go for it.

Personally, and this is my viewpoint based more on the fun aspect of this game, i'd keep it for the moment, and save so you have the oppurtunity to demo new players against your "benchmark," the Denon, so you can see how each affects the sound.

But that's just me. I love changing one thing at a time, multiple times, until i find where i'm happy, and then try changing something else.

Hrmmm.... i think i just admitted that i enjoy messing with the gear more than listening to it. That's a problem. :p
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Quote Originally Posted by dpowell View Post
    One other question for the masters here. I have an offer of $300 on my Denon 3910. It still have 6 months of warranty left on it. I'm wondering if this is the right time to let it go and grab a dedicated higher-end CDP.....
    I take it that you don't possess many SACD's and are OK with a dedicated CDP? You wantin' a tubed CDP? Budget?

Man, when you go all out you don't waste time. :D

I'm on vacation (baby leave) so time is a bit more plenty at the moment. I've discovered that this extra availability of time is quite dangerous. I only have two SACD's at the moment and don't listen much to them. However, since the Denon is a respectable CD player, I will probably just stick with it since no additional investment is required. I'd rather get a good pre for starters then have something to look forward to later on down the road.....not that there isn't always a good upgrade option available at any given time.

The wife got sick this afternoon so I'm on baby duty. No demo'ing the SDA's until tomorrow night now...... :(

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post
    Good Luck!! The hook is already in the mouth.;)
    No doubt and the bait I'm sure will be quite tasty!

The wife got sick this afternoon so I'm on baby duty. No demo'ing the SDA's until tomorrow night now...... :(
    F that! Play some Air Supply. Put my youngin' right to sleep and pleased my ears at the same time. Best of both worlds. Get to work. :D

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Or mellow jazz

SDA 1C Studio's are in the house!....well, still in the car technically. Just waiting for some help to move these pristine speakers into their new home. Man am I excited! They look amazing and sounded good considering the amp they were connected to for the demo. They passed the 'press the bass radiator and watch the mid drivers flex' test as well as the L/R test. I CANNOT wait to hear these on a real amp.

The SDA cable is in great shape. The seller had the original SDA 1B plus 1C addendum manuals with Polk Audio registration envelope in mint shape. Grills are 10/10 on audiogon scale. There are a few minor blemishes on the wood but overall for a 22 year old pair of speakers, I would have to say that I can't imagine finding another pair in this good of shape. They've been babied.

More pics to come once they are inside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SDA 1C's.JPG‎
Views:	69
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	44142   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDA 1C Left.JPG‎
Views:	67
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	44143   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDA 1C Right.JPG‎
Views:	61
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	44144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interconnect cable (blade and pin).JPG‎
Views:	71
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	44145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Original SDA 1B plus 1C addendum and return envelop in pristine condition.JPG‎
Views:	65
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	44146  

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Sweet:)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (12)

I'm on vacation (baby leave) so time is a bit more plenty at the moment. I've discovered that this extra availability of time is quite dangerous. I only have two SACD's at the moment and don't listen much to them. However, since the Denon is a respectable CD player, I will probably just stick with it since no additional investment is required. I'd rather get a good pre for starters then have something to look forward to later on down the road.....not that there isn't always a good upgrade option available at any given time.

I have found that vinyl and SDA's are an absolute joy. As I did with Joe, I recommend finding a good turntable, and a good adult beverage of your choosing. ENJOY!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

They're inside now. A few more pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SDA 1C Inside.JPG‎
Views:	69
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	44147   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDA 1C Inside no grills.JPG‎
Views:	79
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	44148   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDA 1C Left no grill.JPG‎
Views:	75
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	44149   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDA 1C Right no grill.JPG‎
Views:	65
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	44150  

Congrats on the speakers!

Never bothered to look in this thread since I didn't even know it was here lol.

If you meant me in regards to the tubed pre, it's Freddy but I'll let that one slide.......for NOW (now you owe me your RT5k :D)

Those SDA's look to be in top shape, are you sure you didn't buy the ones I sold Tim hehe.

You're going to enjoy the hell out of those that's for sure!

-Freddy
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

They're inside now. A few more pics.
    Now it's on to proper placement. "Search" will provide an abundance of information, as well as the Polk manual for 1Cs. Best of luck, and enjoy.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Congrats!! I love my 1C's just looking forward to doing the upgrades..

Member Sales Rating: (41)

Congrats on the new SDA's...

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Try starting with about 12 inches off the rear and 3 feet from the side walls,, let us know when you get em dialed in,, BTW,you are waiting for a tube friend to show up,,right? Have fun.:)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

Nice looking Studio's ! Congrats
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Quote Originally Posted by george daniel View Post
    Try starting with about 12 inches off the rear and 3 feet from the side walls,, let us know when you get em dialed in,, BTW,you are waiting for a tube friend to show up,,right? Have fun.:)
    Yes, my new Anthem 1 tube friend is on the way scheduled to arrive Saturday. I still need to make another 'pre' friend.

Quote Originally Posted by kawizx9r View Post
    If you meant me in regards to the tubed pre, it's Freddy but I'll let that one slide.......for NOW (now you owe me your RT5k :D)

-Freddy
    Correction to post #65. Jerry = Freddy

I'm going to use the 'newborn in the house lack of sleep' excuse.:p That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Member Sales Rating: (43)

D I just looked at the pic in post 77. There is no way those will shine in that setup. Please post different options. The way you have them setup is like having sex with your sister. It is still sex, but is all wrong. Sorry about being blunt.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by ben62670 View Post
    D I just looked at the pic in post 77. There is no way those will shine in that setup. Please post different options. The way you have them setup is like having sex with your sister. It is still sex, but is all wrong. Sorry about being blunt.
    Ben
    Ben
    Fortunately, the speakers were just posing for the centerfold of Playpolk magazine (issue #77) and there was no other mischief. They aren't even plugged in at the moment. No amp, no preamp, no SDA interconnect cable consumation.

That just happens to be the location for the last pair of Polks and I'm in complete agreement that is a lousy setup. The rolling cart serving as equipment shelf doubles as storage for the wife's crafting/stamping stuff.

With the old RT2000's I didn't care too much...it was just a sound source. With SDA's, a re-arrangement is definitely in order. The couches are going which will open up quite a bit of space however, I may be hard pressed to find the magical 3 feet off of each side wall though.

doug

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

Doug, do the best you can but if 3 feet is not achieveable try to make the side distance the same for both speakers.

I also have a Anthem Amp 1 and thanks to George and Jesse have some tips I can share on tubes that are majical for the Anthem.

I have sereral choices that I will price for you that I think you will be happy with. I should get my tube tester Friday and want to test them before selling. They work fine in my amp but want to make sure they have plenty of life left in them.

I have a matched quad of new SED WIng Cs that I loved until I heard the Ei 6CA7s I bought from Jesse. They are barely burned in and would make you a nice deal.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Member Sales Rating: (1)

great speaker in great shape!! Enjoy..

Member Sales Rating: (0)

[QUOTE=dpowell;1184003]Found a pair of SDA 1C's locally about an hour from me. The guy is asking $450.QUOTE]

I paid alot more than that for a pair of 1Cs. They are not for sale and they were worth every penny. I'm still thrilled that I have them.

B

Thread Information