Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Those are some nice looking C's. Get ready to spend hours in the "sweet spot"!

stubby
    SDA SRS
    Denon POA 2400
    Rotel RSP 1068

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by kawizx9r View Post
    Congrats on the speakers!

Never bothered to look in this thread since I didn't even know it was here lol.

If you meant me in regards to the tubed pre, it's Freddy but I'll let that one slide.......for NOW (now you owe me your RT5k :D)

Those SDA's look to be in top shape, are you sure you didn't buy the ones I sold Tim hehe.

You're going to enjoy the hell out of those that's for sure!

-Freddy
    Not mine... I still have my 2 pairs of minty fresh like new SDA-1C's. Right now I only have 1 set hooked up.

Yours are back in the original boxes waiting for action. I might put a HT together this weekend with them.

So thats the thrid set of mint 1C's I've seen. :D
    TNTsTunes

Man Cave/Shop System
    Yamaha RX-V870 reciever
    Polk Audio SDA-2B's - Yamaha M-70 amp
    Polk Audio SDA-2's - Yamaha MX830 amp
    BSR-3000 Graphic EQ/Spectrum Analyzer
    ADC SS-315X Graphic EQ/Spectrum Analyzer
    Magnavox (Philips) CDB-586 6 disc CD Changer
    JVC XL-Z411 CD player
    Panamax MAX-5100 power conditioner

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by TNTsTunes View Post
    I might put a HT together this weekend with them.
    After I talked with Ben for awhile yesterday about SDA's and the sweet spot, I have been doing the unthinkable (for me) and looking at the RT3000's in my home theater which are 14 feet apart and about 14 feet from the listening position and wondering.........Two problems:

the left speaker would be directly against the left wall
    Even though both speakers would be 1 foot off the back wall, they would be flanked by the entertainment center that houses the screen on either side.

Quote Originally Posted by dpowell View Post
    After I talked with Ben for awhile yesterday about SDA's and the sweet spot, I have been doing the unthinkable (for me) and looking at the RT3000's in my home theater which are 14 feet apart and about 14 feet from the listening position and wondering.........Two problems:

Even though both speakers would be 1 foot off the back wall, they would be flanked by the entertainment center that houses the screen on either side.
    So you're selling me the 1-Cs for $350? :D

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Two problems:

The 1st issue - "left speaker would be directly against the left wall"- to my way of thinking, should be addressed immediately. I'm not sure how that speaker is expected to do its job properly as currently configured.

The 2nd issue, to me, is one that more easily presents a liveable tradeoff. Although it may not be optimum to have that much volume occupied between speakers, there may not be another way to manage things and you'll have to live with some less-than-optimal soundstaging. I have a small piece of that issue (though thankfully not to your degree) with my dedicated audio room and my 1Cs:
    Note the rack in the middle w/assorted components. Although I'd prefer to have that area completely open, 1) the 1Cs speakers are each forward of the rack, and 2) the component / rack set up is far less substantial than my imagined picture of your entertainment center (however, I could be incorrectly picturing your set-up).

Again, to me it's issue #1 that may be your priority to remediate more immediately. FYI - the 1Cs very much respond positively to being positioned properly per the Polk manual.

Happy listening!

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Are those mono's?
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Quote Originally Posted by george daniel View Post
    Are those mono's?
    Yea, verily I say unto thee - Klaus' Extreme monos im haus der Dave. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by dbnh View Post
    I'm not sure how that speaker is expected to do its job properly as currently configured.

Note the rack in the middle w/assorted components. Although I'd prefer to have that area completely open, 1) the 1Cs speakers are each forward of the rack, and 2) the component / rack set up is far less substantial than my imagined picture of your entertainment center (however, I could be incorrectly picturing your set-up).
    I hear you. I was actually just dreaming mostly. You can see a picture of the entertainment center by clicking the link in my signature. There's absolutely nothing I can do about the left channel positioning there which is why the 'thinking about it' part was only that and hasn't gone any further. The 1C's and the 2-channel rig will stay in the office. I am mentally reorganizing the office area at the moment to figure out a way to open up a 16ft wall space for these babies. It'll just require a little cleverness and wife approval. That shouldn't be a problem. She is very understanding and supportive of this addiction....as I am of her own crafting addiction...

In the post above, please replace the word 'addiction' with the word 'hobby'. :p

[QUOTE=dbnh;1189064]
    QUOTE]

....and BTW, nice setup. I like the granite idea. Did you have those custom made for your rig or did you buy scraps at a granite yard?
    Last edited by dpowell; 11-07-2009 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLocke88 View Post
    So you're selling me the 1-Cs for $350? :D
    ummmmmm.........

NO
    :D

The Anthem 1 came today! Double boxed in original Anthem box. It's in beautiful shape and made for a great Saturday morning project. Now that I'm done installing the tubes I realize just how badly I want to find the right pre amp so I can get this thing fired up.

A question for the tube pros. I understand that I should not power on this amp without speakers connected to avoid 'bad juju'. I also know that the tubes need to be properly biased but the manual doesn't mention having speakers connected during tube biasing. Can someone please explain?

I also need to know what setting on my VOM I'm supposed to use when biasing the tubes. I believe it is the 20k Ohm setting but don't want to make a mistake. The manual says that I'm looking for a .4 reading to achieve factory default settings. Also according to the manual, adusting the bias to a .5 reading provides cleaner output but will shorten the life of the tubes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Anthem Amp1.JPG‎
Views:	47
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	44199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anthem tubes glove and manual.JPG‎
Views:	49
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	44200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anthem Inside No Tubes.JPG‎
Views:	44
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	44201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anthem Inside No Tubes 2.JPG‎
Views:	50
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	44202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anthem 1 with Tubes Installed.JPG‎
Views:	48
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	44203  

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

You are measuring DC not ohms. I have my Fluke set on 2 volts and when I measure I get .400 as the target. The pots on the back are quite sensitive. I would not run .5, as matter of fact I have an email from Anthem suggesting .250 to .300 but I found the SQ was not as good so I stick with .400.

AMP looks great BTW. Shoot me a PM if you would like to call and discuss any of this.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by thsmith; 11-07-2009 at 04:06 PM.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

The Anthem 1 came today! Double boxed in original Anthem box. It's in beautiful shape and made for a great Saturday morning project. Now that I'm done installing the tubes I realize just how badly I want to find the right pre amp so I can get this thing fired up.

A question for the tube pros. I understand that I should not power on this amp without speakers connected to avoid 'bad juju'. I also know that the tubes need to be properly biased but the manual doesn't mention having speakers connected during tube biasing. Can someone please explain?

I also need to know what setting on my VOM I'm supposed to use when biasing the tubes. I believe it is the 20k Ohm setting but don't want to make a mistake. The manual says that I'm looking for a .4 reading to achieve factory default settings. Also according to the manual, adusting the bias to a .5 reading provides cleaner output but will shorten the life of the tubes.
    That's hot...

Well, I am no longer a tube virgin. Just plugged in the 7 tubes that came with the amp and got the bias set on the four main power tubes. I finally caved in and disconnected the Adcom from the home theater so I could use the Pioneer Elite AVR as a pre to give the Anthem a test drive. From what I hear so far, I am pleased. The newborn runs the house so thus far, no cranking the RT3000's with the Anthem to see how those sound. The SDA's are still in the other room and I am not going to move those by myself. I don't want any damage done and can wait another day for the SDA experience.

This is too much fun.....:D

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

Good on you Doug ! Enjoy !
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

....and special thanks to thsmith who is also an Anthem Amp 1 owner and was gracious enough to walk me through setting the bias this afternoon.

and BTW, nice setup. I like the granite idea. Did you have those custom made for your rig or did you buy scraps at a granite yard?
    TY, kind words indeed. The "scraps" were acquired gratis at a local business. I note they now charge for those type pieces...

Quote Originally Posted by dbnh View Post
    TY, kind words indeed. The "scraps" were acquired gratis at a local business. I note they now charge for those type pieces...
    I was wondering about that. I have a piece left over from when we redid the kitchen and had the sink cutout done. If I could get my hands on another piece that would be cool. Maybe I'll check out the local granite places and see what they have to offer......

Thread Information