Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Onkyo 876 question

Ok, so I posted this in the AVS forums and got no response. You guys are pretty quick on the trigger so maybe one of you fine audiophiles know the answer.

Ok, so I set up the new unit last night. Wow, this thing is a beast. I have a few technical questions for you guys. The sound works great, but the video seems be doing some strange things and I don't know if it's user error, or just the way that this thing works. I have the resolution set to 1080i since I do not have a 1080p TV. I have set the HDMI out to source. Maybe this is my problem. So anyway, when I am watching directv, it's works just fine. When I change the channel from an HD channel to an SD channel, the audio comes through fine, but the picture goes blue on the and it's looking for a signal for about 8 seconds, then the picture comes back on.

Also I was using my blu ray player listening to music. When I turned on the blu ray, it searched for signal, then the screen went green. Not solid green, but green. Turned off the blu ray, turned it back off, same result. Turned off the Onkyo, turned it back on and it was fixed. This happened to me twice last night.

So is there a problem or do I need to set the HDMI out to a different setting?

Overall, I am happy with this unit. It's a beast. My speakers have never sounded better.

Update, I tried HDMI through and that did not change anything. It seems that when I have a change in the audio source, DD to something else the problem happens.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

I don't have that model...but will look at your manual....as for you Blu-ray player did you TELL IT to output 1080i....because there could be some confusion between the Onkyo and the player.

Also, the HDMI on the Onkyo is a REPEATER...so that means that if there is an AUTO setting of some kind on the Onkyo for video....it should just allow the 1080i from you HDTV box just pass through without 'touching' it...that may be your problem. You're setting video conversion when you don't really need it.

Finally, there is often a slight delay even in my set without an AVR...it takes a couple seconds for the video scaler in my 1080i TV to switch from SD to HDTV and back again?

I'll take a look at your manual for more specific info, unit then...

Anyone else have any ideas????

cnh

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    I don't have that model...but will look at your manual....as for you Blu-ray player did you TELL IT to output 1080i....because there could be some confusion between the Onkyo and the player.

Also, the HDMI on the Onkyo is a REPEATER...so that means that if there is an AUTO setting of some kind on the Onkyo for video....it should just allow the 1080i from you HDTV box just pass through without 'touching' it...that may be your problem. You're setting video conversion when you don't really need it.

Finally, there is often a slight delay even in my set without an AVR...it takes a couple seconds for the video scaler in my 1080i TV to switch from SD to HDTV and back again?

I'll take a look at your manual for more specific info, unit then...

Anyone else have any ideas????

cnh
    I went through the manual, there is nothing that I could find. I guess I will spend some time on the troubleshooting section. I have reset the settings to through, so it will not upscale anything. That did not fix it. The strange green screen I get once in a while is odd. I fired up the blu ray again and this time no issue. But maybe the next time, it will go green again.

Oh one more thing, the green screen is not only on the blu ray, it has happened again when I was on cable/sat input. So I don't know what is going on. I have heard of this handshake thing, but I have no clue what it is or if that is the problem.

It's not a huge problem, just a bit frustrating because I expected this thing to be killer. However, I fully realize there is probably some user error involved in this as well. I have never had an HDMI AVR, so I am a complete noob.

Thread Information