Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default New replacement MW6511 defective

Just to let you know..

Basically the original speakers in the SDA 1c are pretty much rocks...except for bad movers, kids, and bad amps.

I have only had to replace 1 driver in the set since 1987...and i think that was a kid problem...that was replaced 7-at this point could be 10 years ago.
    The replacement was basically the same, except for the two silver connectors on the cone....everything else was the same.

The new replacement i just got..is basically not the same. The construction is not close. Even my replacement of 10 years ago...had the surround rubber cut out for the screws just like the original..Dust cap the same construction...this did not...the cone is not as smooth (has a bunch of ridges in it)..the dust cap is not even close.

This speaker lasted about an hour..probably only because i was not pushing it.
    Once i did, it started to pop. About 20-50 Watts max if my amp meters are close to being real.

I pulled the speaker to make sure the Positive/ Negative were correct..as i had seen something like that before on this sight. They were.

I will call Polk on Monday....I assume they will send me another speaker.

I only post this, as i have never gotten anything bad from Polk before....could be a fluke,...but a get abad feeling who made this stuff.

You can take it for what it's worth..just thought i should let you know.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I suggest you get a refund on the "new" driver and try to locate a used MW6511. It will match your other drivers, sound exactly the same and probably last another 20 years.

Mike
    polkaudio

Currently Own:
    SRS 1.2TL Sept/2009 to present
    RTA-11T Light Oak, Aug/2011 to present
    SDA-CRS+ Aug/2011 to present
    RTA-11T Black, Dec/2013 to present

Previously Owned:
    SDA-SRS 2.3 May/1990 to June/1991
    SRS 1.2TL June/1991 to May/1995
    SDA-1C Aug/2005 to Dec/2011

Member Sales Rating: (4)

When I ordered new drivers for my SDA 2's they did not have the "through cone" leads. However, I did not have any fail. I would contact polk CS. I'm sure they will have no problem replacing the bad driver.
    Ludicrous gibs!

I'm sure Polk will replace it...the thru cone leads were gone a long time ago...but the rest of the speaker was the same on the replacement 10 or so years ago.

Like i said..this could be a fluke....but of course i'm not happy.

Will see what Polk says on Monday

Member Sales Rating: (45)

Maybe your spearker cables were reversed?

No i checked...the replacement speaker was correct.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Hey bobt- Just to let you know, on my replacements for the SDA2's, I had to trim out a little bit on each screw hole so that the screws did not twist the speaker surround when tightened. For some reason, whoever the manuf. of the current replacements are is not trimming the surrounds for the screws. Most likely because Polk doesn't make their own drivers like they did back in the day.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Ok ..just to let you know..talked to Polk today. No problem there sending another. I asked them directly..were the speakers were made, and as I thought..China.

From the tone of the guy....I think they expect X amount of failures.
    They didn't want the bad speaker back. Fine with me.

I just hope the next one works..LOL

Stuff from China is..hit or miss.....if it works .fine...if not, i'll take the original and have it redone.

Just kind of a let down as i have't been able to play them for 5 years......

Member Sales Rating: (13)

I have only had to replace 1 driver in the set since 1987...
    Huh!?!
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Quote Originally Posted by nadams View Post
    Hey bobt- Just to let you know, on my replacements for the SDA2's, I had to trim out a little bit on each screw hole so that the screws did not twist the speaker surround when tightened. For some reason, whoever the manuf. of the current replacements are is not trimming the surrounds for the screws. Most likely because Polk doesn't make their own drivers like they did back in the day.
    They haven't manufactured their own drivers for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    Ok ..just to let you know..talked to Polk today. No problem there sending another. I asked them directly..were the speakers were made, and as I thought..China.

From the tone of the guy....I think they expect X amount of failures.
    They didn't want the bad speaker back. Fine with me.

I just hope the next one works..LOL

Stuff from China is..hit or miss.....if it works .fine...if not, i'll take the original and have it redone.

The replacement drivers from China are NOT hit or miss. So you got a bad driver...wow, big deal. They're sending you another one, no questions asked via 2 day FedEx Green.

If you're this affected perhaps you should just sell the loudspeakers and move onto another brand. You could have repaired them 5 years ago.

I said they have not made there own drivers for a long, long time. The last driver i got was well over 7 years ago. I stated that the quality of THAT driver from well over 7 years ago was of much higher quality then the one i just recieved.

I have not be able to use them for the last 5 years, due to were i was living..no room. They were basically stored.

I was going to let the China crap go..but just can't......since you seem to think the drivers from china are great...then you must have gone out and re-sheet rocked you house with china drywall.....that corrods all your pipes and makes the house unlivable..or there toothpaste...gee wait..your still here posting..so i guess you didn't since it seemed to kill a bunch of people.. or there seafood, or there tires they sold to Copper....that meet no standards and the sidewalls blow out, or there toxic toys...the dam list is endless.

But you must be right...there speakers can't be hit or miss....LMAO

Groove Tube rejects 50% of china made tubes..they can't even pass a quality control test...the ones that do..still sound brittle and harsh.

I give Kudos to Polk for trying to have replacement drivers for a speaker they stoped producing years ago. This is not there main income...it's just a nice thing they have done for the SDA people.

These are NOT high quality control or anything else...as i said the build quality is not even close.

If Polk pays 7-10 bucks for these..i'd be surprised.

This is no reflection on Polk, or anything else....they never had to do it. Plus this is no longer a line of speakers they sell. It's a sign of the times.

Hopefully the next one will work....but please..there is little if any quality control..and I hope there is is no toxic chemicals used in the drivers....LOL
    since they don't care and there is no control over anything.

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Are you high?
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

It floors me. I have watched this site or been on it for 6 years . Forgot my orignal sign in so had to start over. One of the reasons I did not post early on was because i watched countless people get outright abused. God forbid anyone disagrees or has a different point of view. My point is that I did not see anywhere (unless i missed it) were this person bashed or blamed Polk for the bad driver. He simply pointed out a very well know and accepted fact that the QC of items made in China can vary greatly. In astronomy ,telescopes for example. Optics can vary from one unit to the next due to poor quality control. It applies to many other goods. it is not Polks fault it is just the way it is at this time. keith

I was going to let the China crap go..but just can't......since you seem to think the drivers from china are great...then you must have gone out and re-sheet rocked you house with china drywall.....that corrods all your pipes and makes the house unlivable..or there toothpaste...gee wait..your still here posting..so i guess you didn't since it seemed to kill a bunch of people.. or there seafood, or there tires they sold to Copper....that meet no standards and the sidewalls blow out, or there toxic toys...the dam list is endless.

Groove Tube rejects 50% of china made tubes..they can't even pass a quality control test...the ones that do..still sound brittle and harsh.

I give Kudos to Polk for trying to have replacement drivers for a speaker they stoped producing years ago. This is not there main income...it's just a nice thing they have done for the SDA people.

These are NOT high quality control or anything else...as i said the build quality is not even close.

This is no reflection on Polk, or anything else....they never had to do it. Plus this is no longer a line of speakers they sell. It's a sign of the times.

Hopefully the next one will work....but please..there is little if any quality control..and I hope there is is no toxic chemicals used in the drivers....LOL
    I never stated that Chinese drivers were great...at least be factual. Oh by all means, don't let anything go on my account. My comment was based on a general observation regarding manufacturing of anything on a large scale. They don't built rockets or nuclear power plant machinery....its a loudspeaker driver.

What exactly would you know about overall quality control of a large manufacturer based on holding a couple drivers in your hands? Just curious but I'm pretty familiar with Polk, its product lineup and replacement parts. I certainly don't cry foul and start to rag on a product based on a singular experience. Now you're just a hater based on the latest response.

Perhaps you can educate everyone on globalization while you're at it.

I realize they may not be built like they used to be but they also don't have to be. They are drop-in replacements, voiced as such and using materials available in the 21st century.

The times do indeed change and there is no doubt a fondness and love for the vintage Polk lineup and perhaps the build quality....that's why I own some as well. If you don't like the new stuff? Awesome. You simply can't satisfy everyone.

If I don't reply its because I quickly lose interest in most of these conversations. Happy Listening!...or rather, lack thereof.
    Last edited by dorokusai; 11-17-2009 at 05:09 PM.

First Dorokusai.....I never stated anything bad about Polk.....in fact I gave them Kudos for trying to keep people happy.

I stated that stuff from China is Hit or Miss......You stated that it is NOT!

You took Umbrage at my statement, then proceeded to infer i was bashing Polk in some manor. Then came up with some insipd statment that i should sell my speakers and find another brand.

As Geppy pointed out....there was no bashing...nothing at all..except to point out a well know fact of Chinese production. Which you don't seem to understand or care to acknowledge.

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Shut up already.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by geppy1 View Post
    It floors me. I have watched this site or been on it for 6 years . Forgot my orignal sign in so had to start over. One of the reasons I did not post early on was because i watched countless people get outright abused. God forbid anyone disagrees or has a different point of view. My point is that I did not see anywhere (unless i missed it) were this person bashed or blamed Polk for the bad driver. He simply pointed out a very well know and accepted fact that the QC of items made in China can vary greatly. In astronomy ,telescopes for example. Optics can vary from one unit to the next due to poor quality control. It applies to many other goods. it is not Polks fault it is just the way it is at this time. keith
    +1

I think treitz3's comments just reinforced this point.

stubby

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Hello Stubby. I am not one of those who bashes those who have a different point of view. That said, if you study those posts that the OP has written about? You may just come to the same statement I did in the post you referred to.

Just look up "spearker cable" and all will be revealed.

There has also been history that is "really stupid" that you have not been exposed to as well.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

bobt, here's some reading for you!

http://www.alphadictionary.com/artic...eir_there.html

Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    Hello Stubby. I am not one of those who bashes those who have a different point of view. That said, if you study those posts that the OP has written about? You may just come to the same statement I did in the post you referred to.

Just look up "spearker cable" and all will be revealed.

There has also been history that is "really stupid" that you have not been exposed to as well.
    Nail, head, that kinda thing....yep!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Well as usual on this site...I made 1 comment....that for most people would be pretty much a known fact....stuff from China is hit or miss...and get a bunch of bull**** for it.
    Had nothing to do with Polk...and was stated so....so what the hell is your problem????

You don't like my comments on cables...fine....thats your point of view..not mine....I buy many millions of dollors of cable from major cable companies..i know how it's made......if you want to spend $500-$1000 bucks on speaker cable ...be my guest....never said it was bad....but not worth the money.

Do all you people with 10K posts...have a real life????? what the hell do you do all day?? do you even have time to listen to music? or anything else???

How in the hell...if you have 17K posts....do you have time to do anything???
    Do you all work for Polk?....and the sad question would be....if you don't......

What in the hell do you do with your life..except to rag on people that you don't agree with?????

I buy many millions of dollors of cable from major cable companies..
    Sure you do.

Sorry putz...but i did.... i was VP for Painewebber...in communications.

I designed and built there whole data center....and 300 hundred of there branch offices...so yes...i bought way over a million dollors of cable....and delt with many cable companies..I can send you my card card if you want...LOL

Since then I was a consultant....desigining computer rooms and moves....dealing with cable all the time...so SORRY....your wrong!!!

See ,I don't spend my life on a web site..posting insane amount's of crap,
    I have a life, listening to music..playing music ..gee i also forgot to say ..I really play music,,guitar, drums..keys.....

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Sorry putz...but i did.... i was VP for Painewebber...in communications.

I designed and built there whole data center....and 300 hundred of there branch offices...so yes...i bought way over a million dollors of cable....and delt with many cable companies..I can send you my card card if you want...LOL

Maybe they let you go because you don't know the difference between there & their!
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Yes ...I guess that must be it....for some stupid grammer on this site....LMAO

How stupid can you be??????..

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

Blew another gasket ay Bob?

Well ..maybe...when the questions/or statments get stupid..and have nothing to do with anything ..for that point...yes...

I buy many millions of dollors of cable
    i was VP for Painewebber
    Interesting that you used present tense and then past tense. But, even better.

in communications
    Oh, the irony!

Thread Information