Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Grayslake, IL
    Posts
    497

    Default Static Electricity Concern

    I know I need to get my humidifier cranked up now that the colder/dryer weather is upon us, however, I have an alrming amount of static electricity when touching some of my HT equipment. The worst is the PS3. Each time I touch the panel to eject a disc, I get a shock. This happens with some of the other equipment also, but not to the same degree.

    I'm concerned about damaging something. Does anyone else have this issue? Is the system not grounded properly to dissapate the charge? Is my Monster PowerBar 1100 not doing its job, either because its faulty or because its just not that good? Any advise will be helpful. Thanks
    Sharp LC-80LE632U
    Pioneer SC-07
    Parasound 1500A (L&R)
    Rotel RMB-1095 (C, SS, SB)
    Front: Rti12's
    Center: Csi A6
    Side & Rear Surrounds: Mirage OMD-5
    Subs: Epik Legend x 2 and SVS PB12/+2
    Velodyne SMS-1
    PS3
    Pioneer BDP-320
    Logitech Harmony 700 Universal Remote
    APC H15
    XLO IEC power cords by Pepster
    Morrow Audio MA4 IC's
    Audioquest Chocolate & Pangea Audio HDMI's

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Live Free or Die
    Posts
    10,965

    Default

    I would SERIOUSLY hope that consumer electronics will be made to withstand that kind of instantaneous burst, BUT if you wanted to be safe you could just get into the habit of discharging yourself on something benign before touching your equipment.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (27)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobman1235 View Post
    I would SERIOUSLY hope that consumer electronics will be made to withstand that kind of instantaneous burst, BUT if you wanted to be safe you could just get into the habit of discharging yourself on something benign before touching your equipment.
    You would be surprised. I got a great deal on a demo Parasound Halo A23 amp once because the matching pre was fried by a static electric shock, no joke.

    I used to have the same light static issues, I got a couple plants and haven't had any issues since.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NE PA
    Posts
    1,486

    Default

    Not sure where you are located, but it seems a little early to be that dry, at least in the NE. Any idea what your relative humidity is? Something like this can be handy to determine if it is a humidty issue or ground/stray voltage issue. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bridgeton NJ
    Posts
    4,384

    Default

    I do not think you are going to harm anything from static unless you are touching the circuit board itself.
    HT setup
    Dynex 40 inch tv
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXV
    Carver A400X
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Martin Logan Aerius
    Apple Tv 2nd Gen
    Logitech Harmony One Advanced Remote

    Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Madison WI
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I don't know about ps3's but most consoles I've taken apart have a nice grounded sheet metal cage that surrounds everything inside to protect against this kind of stuff.

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (8)

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    At a comfortable distance.... gaining perspective
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    I once fried a brand new Lenox micro computer thermostat with the lovely blue spark that came off my fingertip Static can destroy lots of sensitive electronics (it can also ignite the vapors coming from the fuel opening on your car when you touch the nozzle !), better to touch the cat or wife to discharge before handling your equipment! A humidifier is a good thing to have also.;)

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (8)

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    At a comfortable distance.... gaining perspective
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    Post #7 Reportage

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (40)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    18,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gdb View Post
    Post #7 Reportage
    Roger that, acknowledged and taken care of. (it's actually number 6.xxxx now ;) )

    Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    828

    Default

    Strange, i never had any issues with static inside the house, i get a zap nearly every time i get out of a car though. Regardless of time of year

    Whenever i service my PC i always touch the PSU/case first before anything else....
    Media Room 7.1
    Sharp lc37d64u | Sanus vmsab-03 | Sonax ZX8680 | Yamaha htr-6290b | Emotiva xpa1 x 2 & xpa5 | RTiA 9 & 7 | CSiA 6 | FXiA 6 | Sanus NF30B-03 | Velodyne dls-3750r | Dual 505-3 m97xe | Monster avs2000/hts5100

    HTPC
    Intel e5300 | Asus p5q DLX | LG ch08 BD | OCZ 4g reaper2 | WD 1TB | Sapphire 4890 VaporX 1g | Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 | OCZ modXtreme 700w | Antec Fusion remote MAX

    A fool and his money are easily parted
    I don't drink Koolaid

    Need some cable's? Just ask :)


  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Hi, I need help trouble shooting or fixing my right tweeter. I know the tweeter is out because when I switch speakers with the one that works it still has no upper sound.

    My question is, could the problem be anything other then the tweeter? Cross overs or something else? To be honest I am not sure when the tweeter went out as these speakers still sounds better (with one tweeter) then the speakers the 9's replaced. Where do I order a replacement tweeter?

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (3)

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    British Columbia (Canada eh)
    Posts
    3,476

    Default

    ^^reported^^
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-45
    NAD 1130 pre
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
    The Clamp
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    DBX 3BX-DS
    DBX 224-DS
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Wireless electricity anyone?
    By Keiko in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 10:18 PM
  2. Static Electricity & Vintage speakers
    By johnny_fever in forum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-17-2008, 05:59 PM
  3. Allergic to electricity
    By Willow in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-14-2008, 08:19 PM
  4. Electricity Usage
    By gsdvip in forum Electronics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2005, 10:22 AM
  5. Static Electricity
    By tmila in forum Subwoofer Hookup & Bass Management
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-11-2002, 02:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts