Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default How to get BR/SACD player to work with my 2-channel rig

Thinking of getting a Sony BDP-BX510 Bluray player which also plays SACDs, but it only has HDMI and optical coax outputs. My 2-channel rig is an old Adcom GFA/GTP series so it doesn't speak digital.

How do I get the SACD output to my Adcom? Do I need some sort of HDMI to RCA analog 2-channel audio converter, and if so, any recommendations for one?

Member Sales Rating: (0)

If player does not have analog outputs then you need a DAC (Digital to Analog converter)

This cost effective DAC will pass through HDMI
    http://www.essenceelectrostatic.com/...i-dac-blu-ray/

Not sure of the actual SACD unless it's a hybrid disc
    Last edited by txcoastal1; 03-11-2014 at 09:40 PM.
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Sacd will only go through the rca built in dac on your sony.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Wait. Just reread. The sony does not have rca's? And it does sacd? What model is it.

It looks like it will decode SACD to LPCM

https://docs.sony.com/release/SPECS/BDPBX510_mksp.pdf
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Get a different player with RCA's.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    ....that isn't a Sony.... at least if audio is your focus. If you don't have any SACD's and playing them isn't a priority, I'd recommend finding a Pioneer BDP-51fd for about $100. After a few cheap cable upgrades and dynamat, you'll have a player that's damn hard to beat.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Hi F1, I have an Oppo BDP83 but it just died. Until I figure out what happened to it, whether it's fixable for a reasonable amount (probably not) or even if there's someone close that can repair it, I thought I'd pick one of these up in the interim. Gotta have my SACD fix, ya know (even if in somewhat crippled form).

But it might be that I can't actually get the SACD output unless I buy a Sony AV receiver that takes the DSD off the HDMI. Not sure.

BTW (and this might not be the place to ask, probably in electronics would be better?) does anyone know if my Oppo 83 has some secret button sequence from the remote that will give self-diagnostic codes on the display? Currently it's locked up with the "Hello" message on the display and won't read discs.

Is it possible that error happens when the optical drive fails? I know that is a common issue in the first generation Oppo players. You should call Oppo and get a little help as I believe they have great customer service. You won't be happy with the Sony if you've had the Oppo in your system.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Pull the plug overnight and then email oppo or look at the website for the owners manual.

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Is it possible that error happens when the optical drive fails? I know that is a common issue in the first generation Oppo players. You should call Oppo and get a little help as I believe they have great customer service. You won't be happy with the Sony if you've had the Oppo in your system.
    Thanks for the info. I've become so jaded about customer service with most everything that I didn't even consider calling Oppo. I'll have to give that a try, but it's about 4 year old so it's well past the 1 yr warranty. Looking at the manual, it might be that all repairs have to be sent back to Oppo.

To follow up, I talked to Oppo CS. They repair these for a flat rate of $79, so I'm going to go that route. Thanks again for raising this possibility, and it should be good as new, no need for the Sony. Though I guess with past bad experiences in getting other electronics repaired, I "shouldn't count my chickens before the fat lady sings" ;)

Oppo stands behind their product. For $80, I think you're golden.

5 stars to Oppo for excellent repair service start to finish. Got my '83 back and all is well. So for about the same as I would have spent on the Sony I was thinking of getting, I'm back in service with a better player and no funky signal conversions needed.

Congrats man. All is well that ends well.

Thread Information