Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Ok Here is my plan. What do you think?

First I was to thank everyone on this board for all the knowledge freely available. I also hate everyone one of you because the simple task of buying speakers, a sub, and a receiver for a 3.1 setup has become incredibly complex and increasingly expensive. I think my budget has doubled. All kidding aside, thank you all.

Ok so I think I have figured out what I am going to do. I have already selected my speakers, 2 Monitor 70's and a CS2 (new from NewEgg). I am thinking about the Micropro 1000 for the sub, my cousin has one and likes it.

I have gone around and around about a receiver/amp setup. What I finally came up with is just buy a "higher end" receiver to push the speakers instead of a "cheaper" receiver and an amp. I figured I can always buy amps later. I do need a little help on receivers. I am looking to spend $400 +/-. I was looking at some of the Elite units (I have always liked pioneer) and Onkyo. Of course I am going used for my amount budgeted. These two seem to offer a good bang for the buck, from what I have found anyway. I saw a fellow member had a Onkyo 805 up for sale. That is along the lines I was looking at. I would think 130w would be good enough for the 70's.

What do you think? This will be primarily for TV and music, with some movies. Thanks tons in advance.

Rover:
    I think that the setup will sound good. onkyo is a great company, so is Denon. Just go to different manufactures websites and see what they have to offer. I know for experience that this hobbie can get expensive. BUT it's worth it!!!!! I have the CS2. It's a great speaker. But, I just recently got the RTi A9's and the CSi A6.
    Rover check out this link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

Let me know what you think...
    I have a Denon 3806 as my AVR. I think 130w/ch will be good. Yes you can always add a seperate dedicated power amp to the mix. I honestly tried a B&K power amp to drive my A9's, but I HONESTLY did not hear a huge difference. I didn't think the $700.00 was worth it.

Smo

Member Sales Rating: (1)

just so you know at $400 for an AVR you're not going to find many if any that have preouts should you want to ad an amp later.. I believe the current cheapest AVR made by the normal names that has full preouts is the 665 by Yamaha, which i have, its about $500.. for most of the other brands you'll have to spend $600+ to get preouts on new AVRs, if you're ok going used, you should be able to find a good AVR with preouts for about the price you want to spend...
    HT - game room
    Yamaha RX V665 - AVR, Polk Monitor 60's,(HT), Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS 1, Polk PSW 505, Samsung PN50B550 - 50" Plasma, PS3, Wii

2ch - spare bedroom
    Squeezebox Touch->AQ Alpha Snake->Music Hall A15.2->Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1
    Yamaha S1800(SACD),Technics SL-QD33(TT)
    Head-fi - Sennheiser HD 280, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, B&W P5, Sennheiser HD 650
    Lenovo Laptop-> Dragonfly USB DAC/amp
    Server-QNAP TS110

Quote Originally Posted by RoverRH View Post
    First I was to thank everyone on this board for all the knowledge freely available. I also hate everyone one of you because the simple task of buying speakers, a sub, and a receiver for a 3.1 setup has become incredibly complex and increasingly expensive. I think my budget has doubled. All kidding aside, thank you all.

Ok so I think I have figured out what I am going to do. I have already selected my speakers, 2 Monitor 70's and a CS2 (new from NewEgg). I am thinking about the Micropro 1000 for the sub, my cousin has one and likes it.

I have gone around and around about a receiver/amp setup. What I finally came up with is just buy a "higher end" receiver to push the speakers instead of a "cheaper" receiver and an amp. I figured I can always buy amps later. I do need a little help on receivers. I am looking to spend $400 +/-. I was looking at some of the Elite units (I have always liked pioneer) and Onkyo. Of course I am going used for my amount budgeted. These two seem to offer a good bang for the buck, from what I have found anyway. I saw a fellow member had a Onkyo 805 up for sale. That is along the lines I was looking at. I would think 130w would be good enough for the 70's.

What do you think? This will be primarily for TV and music, with some movies. Thanks tons in advance.
    The Onkyo TX-SR805 that you are considering will drive your Polk Monitors nicely.
    Just be aware that Onkyos tend to run hot. Pioneers run a lot cooler and are my preference.
    You can get a Pioneer VSX-21TXH for your budget if you prefer.
    Last edited by xcapri79; 12-14-2009 at 07:22 PM.

Main HT/2 ch:
    Pioneer SC-07, BDP-05FD, Emotiva XPA-5 x 2, XPA-1 x 2,
    Polk Audio LSi25, RTi12 x 2, LSi15 x 4, LSiC x 2, PSW1000 x 4,

MB HT/ 2 ch:
    LG 47LM5800, Pioneer SC-1523, BDP-23FD, Sony BDP-S790, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5,
    Polk Audio LSi25,15, CSi5, LSiFX, PSW505 x 4

Listening Room 2 ch:
    McIntosh MC162, MC202, C15, C41, C42, MA6500, MA6900, MCD201
    Emotiva RSP-2, RPA-1, ERC-2
    Adcom GCD 750, GFP 750, GFA 5802
    Polk Audio LSi7,9, 15

Quote Originally Posted by xcapri79 View Post
    The Onkyo TX-SR805 that you are considering will drive your Polk Monitors nicely.
    Just be aware that Onkyos tend to run hot. Pioneers run a lot cooler and are my preference.
    You can get a Pioneer VSX-21TXH for your budget if you prefer.

Yeah I looked at the VSX-21 and VSX-23. The receiver will be going on a very open shelf so heat shouldn't be too big of a problem.

Since I am pretty new to home audio, I have had my fair share of head units, amps, surrounds, and woofers in cars, jumping into the game on a whim has been overwhelming. Especially since I am in the used market for receivers. It is really hard to find good comparison data on receivers that are a couple of years old on manufacturers websites. So thanks for the suggestions so far!

Member Sales Rating: (11)

The 805 would sound great with the Monitor 70's. It'll drive them with no problem.

You're on the right track with the Monitor 70's and the CS2. I'd personally suggest going with a larger sub though. The 70's have some considerable bass output on their own, and a smaller sub might not keep up as well. The MicroPro3000 would be a much better bet IMO. Also, look into Epik and SVS for a sub.

The Polk PSW505 is also an excellent sub that can be had for cheap.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

+1 on the kudos for the 70's and the CS2. I have all three and have never been dissapointed by what those speakers can do. I would personally recommend Onkyo, mostly because I love my 806, and the 805 is actually a "better" unit because it has the Burr Brown DAC's and a much better amp unit. If you can get one used from a fellow Polkie, you will def. be getting a good deal. IMHO whicever way you decide to go, you should def. get an AVR that has pre-outs. You may not need/want an amp now, but it will sneak up on you in no time, lol. If I had the cash I would have been amp shopping a long time ago. Welcome to Club Polk.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D

Might also look at Marantz. Accessories4less has the SR4003 for 349+shipping...has preouts, or they have the SR5003 for 449 w/ free shipping.

Marantz SR4003 - $349 + shipping

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

I'd go with at least a 5000 or even better a 6000 Marantz series...

That said, I can't give the Onkyo 805 enough praise for just how WELL it can handle M70s...does an excellent job....

Any 875/76, 905/6 and the new series from the TX-SR100x up will Blast sound out of those Ms...

I like the Pioneers fine but I REALLY think that to beat the raw POWER of an 805 you'd have to get up into the Pioneer ice-amps SC-05/07 or SC27 to compete.

That's what makes that OLD Onkyo a great value...even used...hey 51lbs of reciever can put out a lot of power at 8 ohms! High Current power.

The Onkyo actually exceeds its 130 watt/channel in a 5.1 configuration!! It's kind of forgotten about these days because everyone here has upgraditis...but try to find an AVR amp section that matches this Onkyo in its price range--a very very difficult task....especially when I got mine for a little over 400?

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 12-15-2009 at 05:34 AM.

I just placed my order for the M70's and CS2. Newegg has the M70's for $20 cheaper, so $159 + free shipping. Can't beat that. I am down to the receiver and sub.

Thanks for all the input. The Onkyo 805 is looking pretty good at the moment.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

I would be all over the 805 if you can get a deal on one. No contest for me. YMMV

So I finally have gotten time to load the final (for now) setup pic. It sounds great when paired with the Onkyo 805 (it allows the front speakers to be biamped, reducing it from a 7.1 to a 5.1). Much better than just the TV speakers. It was great when my girlfriend said "Wow I could actually hear that car drive by." Worth every penny. I just have to get a decent sub now. I am using an cheap old Onkyo sub I had from my college setup. Hopefully I can get a used sub from my friend's father. I will know more about that later.

I just wish we had more room for a 5.1 or 7.1 setup. Maybe in a year or 2 when we get a larger house. Can you say dedicated theater room?

Anyway, here it is. Thanks to everyone for your support and expertise!
    Attached Images  

Congrats Rover, welcome to Club Polk!
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Nice. I like the silver faced 805. Excellent choice.

Thread Information