Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Default Santa don't surf!

I was getting pretty complacent with my home theatre so it was time for a makeover.

My beloved B&K AVR317 went to a new home and my favorite CDChanger of all time also grew legs. Thankfully they went to a couple really good friends and core members of this forum. I know they are in good hands.

The wife changed the layout of the HT room so instead of re-mounting ALL the speakers, which would have driven me insane, I decided to simplify for awhile. All the LSi speakers were retired back to storage and in its place, two SurroundBar 50's. I'm going to run one normal array, below the HDTV and the other one above, using the High/Wide options on my new AVR.

I picked up a Onkyo TX-NR5007. This was a tough decision since there are more than a handful of excellent AVR's to anchor a system out there. The Pioneer Elite SC series, Adcom, Rotel, B&K, Cambridge Audio, Denon, Integra, Yamaha Z series....you get the picture. These are very capable pieces of gear, each with pros and cons but this isn't the 1980's anymore. Onkyo has really hit some homeruns with the new TX-SRxxx series and I've been wanting to try one out for some time. My preference is to own stuff that other people don't if at all possible, so I went with the Onkyo NR series. I don't see them talked about much and compared to the Cambridge Audio 650R I had....it walked all over it.

Another goodie that my friend Ron @ SVS offered to let me play with was a AS-EQ1. Even tho' the PB13-Ultra is the new bully on the block...my PB12-Ultra/2 doesn't lose much in direct comparison. It's still one of the best subwoofers I've ever heard and they've ever made. Ron was very motivated about his new EQ and promised it will blow me away, and bring my subwoofer to a whole new level. I know him well enough that he's not that animated for no reason. If he's lying, I get to kick him in the balls at CES next year :D

Anyways, I'll get some pics up as I start to assemble everything. Frank @ Signal Cable is making a custom SurroundBar cable harnesses and a couple other odds and ends. I also have some Polk help on the dual SBar array so we'll see what happens.

I'm very excited and hope it sounds ok, or I'll just set fire to everything including myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SVS AS-EQ1.jpg‎
Views:	110
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	45031   Click image for larger version

Name:	SVS AS-EQ1_PanelOFF.jpg‎
Views:	107
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	45032   Click image for larger version

Name:	SVS AS-EQ1_Rear.jpg‎
Views:	112
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	45033   Click image for larger version

Name:	41Pra7OKwUL__SL500_AA280_.jpg‎
Views:	105
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	45034   Click image for larger version

Name:	41HLzTqYKrL__AA280_.jpg‎
Views:	96
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	45035  

Click image for larger version

Name:	51-AUtFfVjL__AA280_.jpg‎
Views:	105
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	45036  
    Last edited by dorokusai; 12-15-2009 at 09:07 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Nice selection of gear buddy. I was looking at the SVS, how you think this measures up with the Velodyne SMS-1? Any thoughts are appreciated. Sounds like your having fun, enjoy.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

It's certainly the same idea but the GUI on the SVS is much better and it appears to be way more adjustable from the literature alone. I don't believe a head-2-head is even needed as the Audyssey is looking really good and I just started playing around.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Looking forward to your impressions.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (0)

What would you say is the advantage of a dual SB array? One above the HDTV and one below, how do you intend to achieve ear level positionning, are you simply tilting one of them? Hopefully you will post pics...

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Mark, just send me the AS-EQ1 before you set it on fire; no one will miss it anyway.

Let me know how it works; the curves in their web site are impressive to say the least.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Quote Originally Posted by TECHNOKID View Post
    What would you say is the advantage of a dual SB array? One above the HDTV and one below, how do you intend to achieve ear level positionning, are you simply tilting one of them? Hopefully you will post pics...
    I would imagine a larger front stage and there's no real reason to have them specifically at ear level. I'll set it up square and if anything, tilt the top bar down a little bit. It's a loudspeaker, not a directional microphone.

Nice. Congrats on the new toys. That NR5007seems way cool.

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

The AS-EQ1 is interesting but you can achieve the same results for less money and a lot more time.

I would like to get my hands on one to play with.

From what I have read it should smoke the SMS-1 or anything else in that class except maybe pro gear.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

The previous B&K had excellent room correction but it took a lot of hands on time to tweak it.

I know what you mean Thsmith. I've been involved in audio long enough to stop getting hard-ons over the lengthy tweaks and prefer the push a button types these days :D

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

Yep, that's the nice thing about subs, one you get them right you are ok, well until someone moves the furniture.

I would love to get my hands on one. If I needed more than the one filter that my PB13 has I would be more eager.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Wow Mark, I am green with envy. I couldn't agree more with your statement about the TX-SRXXX series, I love my 806. I am very impressed with the looks/features of the new NR series and I for one am looking forward to your impressions of this unit when you get it up and running. It has so many nice features and I was glad to see they put the Burr Brown DAC's back in the NR series, one of the only shortcomings of my 806. That 5007 is a beast, and I'm sure you will not be dissapointed. Congrats on the new toys!!

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D

Cool Mark. I look forward to hearing your impressions.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    The previous B&K had excellent room correction but it took a lot of hands on time to tweak it.

I know what you mean Thsmith. I've been involved in audio long enough to stop getting hard-ons over the lengthy tweaks and prefer the push a button types these days :D
    Yeah,have to agree. With the simple system I have now it's still borderline complicated for the wife.
    B&K AVR's have always been my choice mainly because they offered the tweeks of a pre/pro, simply bolted to an amp. Plus they sound better than most. Too bad they have somewhat fallen behind the times in their latest offerings. Do tell when everything is up and running,would like to know how that Onyko sounds.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Mark,

How well is the PB12 Ultra/2 working with the two SurroundBars? Specifically, do you have to turn the sub volume down a lot in order that the SurroundBars aren't overwhelmed?
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member

I'm still in the process of setting everything up DK but I have had to turn it down a little depending on what movie was being played. That's why I'm hoping the AS-EQ1 will smooth out that transition. I'm doing this in small steps right now since so much stuff is brand new.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Congrats on the new gear/project !

I am also curious about the EQ....been looking at it for awhile now....not sure the $$ is justified though

I will be waiting to hear about the AVR also....I need to get my son something for Christmas

I was hoping to get most of it from you guys on the East coast, as he lives in SC and it would be cheaper to ship...and maybe someone out there could help him get it set up (just a thought)
    He get out of the Marines soon and I want to hook him up with a new system.

Soory `bout the long winded response...carry on

again, grats on the new stuff !!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself)
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

Member Sales Rating: (21)

Ok, I am no HT sub-genius, so do I need this thing you speak of for my Polk subs, they have the EQ card, well, the SWA has the card and the power.......I dont think I do...........???????

And as someone who acquired a nice piece from the makeover.......Thank You, of course I figured I was upgrading my HT with it so one man's old is another man's new. Of course I still got to hook the thing into the rig............to busy playing with 2-ch.

RT1
    REEL TIME THEATRE
    Onkyo-TX-NR5007
    B&K 7270 amplifier
    Polk SWA-500 Subwoofer amplifier
    OppO BDP-83
    Pioneer Elite 50"
    Polk LCi-RTS-105;LCi-RTS-C;LCi-RTSFx;LCi80Fx
    Subs-Twin Polk CSW200
    HTS5000

RABBIT HOLE RIG
    BAT VK-31SE
    VTL MB-450 Signature monoblock
    Wolcott Presence monoblock
    Musical Fidelity kW SACD
    Rega P25/RB600/Clearaudio Aurum Beta
    Acoustech Phono-Pre
    Sound Lab Millenium ELS
    BillyBags Rack
    MIT S1/3 cables
    Shunyata/PS Audio/Virtual Dynamics Power Cords

Everthing Matters...Tubes Rule...and It's Over until it's Not Over

So Mark, it's been a while,what are your toughts on the new toys? Any pics of the set-up?

Thread Information