Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Fongolio View Post
    I'd have loved to have been there but I still have that can't cross the border thing hanging over me. In the last picture of everyone at the meet, on the far right side is Geoff727 who is the craftsman who lovingly and painstakingly rebuilt my SDA-1C's and the result was what is probably the best 1C's in all the land. Too bad I couldn't be there to thank him again in person.

Kelvin
    Thanks, Kelvin. I was wishing you could have come. The -1C's are still plugging away, I take it?

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Had a great time as well. Although it is true that Russ had pants on the whole time, we did find out that somebody had loose nuts!

Thanks to Jake for offering the place and the food. Thanks to Polk for the generosity.

Good to see some familiar faces again, and good to meet everyone else. Let's not wait so long to do it again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4441.jpg‎
Views:	123
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	46908   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4438.1.jpg‎
Views:	97
Size:	386.8 KB
ID:	46909   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4436.jpg‎
Views:	96
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	46910   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4434.jpg‎
Views:	98
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	46911  

Member Sales Rating: (0)

The Inaugural Seattle GTG was a great time. First thanks go out to Jake for setting up the venue.
    It was fun to get to hear a bunch of gear at the same time.

Cables really do make a difference....it was the rallying cry...LOL

I loved finally getting to hear some SDA was great. Jeff's DAC and transport are just plain beautiful ...AND sound amazing. Jake's integrated amp was a beast...and Cameron's 5b were great sounding. It was great being able to hear a whole bunch of gear in one place.....

The kicker was the raffles...but I am not going to 'pop the balloon' until the winner announced it...but all I'll say is Polk is a very generous bunch of people....

And, Yes Russ kept his pants on the whole time...

When's the next one???

BTW.....Check those binding posts...hehe

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by geoff727 View Post
    Thanks, Kelvin. I was wishing you could have come. The -1C's are still plugging away, I take it?
    They are highly treasured bringers of much pleasure and are practically shrined. After reading about and seeing pictures of many different SDA-1C's and the various mods, I'm fully convinced the ones you built are the absolute best example of this particular model on the planet. No other pair that I've heard of has undergone the total transformation with such meticulous attention to detail in every aspect. I think Sal has a pair of SDA'a that may have been as lovingly restored but they aren't 1C's. I feel privledged to give them a home and can't imagine ever selling them.

It would have been really nice to be there especially when it was so close. I am going to initiate the obtaining of a passport as soon as my tax refund comes and I have enough money to pay for the various police checks pardons and passport documents. I haven't been in any trouble in over 20 years so it shouldn't be difficult. Perhaps the next meet. I could bring the 1C's and show people the fine work you've done. Sounds like a good time was had by all.

Just out of curiosity Geoff, what are you running now? Still have the Maggies?

Kelvin
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Eico ST-70 Integrated Tube Amp fully rebuilt and modded
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    DBX 3BX-DS
    DBX 224-DS
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Fongolio View Post
    Just out of curiosity Geoff, what are you running now? Still have the Maggies?

Kelvin
    I do. Here they are, in this thread at audiokarma. Post number 41.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...gnepans&page=3

They have several upgrades planned right now. And I have a couple of amplifiers on the way to do a vertical bi-amp setup, all actively crossed with Bryston crossovers. That will give 6 total channels of amplification (High panel, low panel, and sub plate amp on each side). The rack is going to get some work, and hopefully in 6 or 8 months I will have it all together after 3 years of saving, buying, and tweaking. Then I can rest for, oh, maybe a day, before starting on something else.

And now I'm thinking about what I can do for the next meet. I have a pair of Monitor 5's that i'm doing for a friend that I should have some pictures of in 3 or 4 weeks. But for the next meet, I'd like to either have another pair of Polk's (hopefully with some radical TLC, just for fun), or one of my pair's of Infinity's (which I really need to get working on). Maybe the (heavily modded) RS-IIIa's. I felt bad not bringing anything this time.

I'm glad you like the -1C's still. With the new mid-bass drivers, tweeters, and capacitors, they should be healthy for a long long time. Those were the first speakers I ever worked on, and it's just been an avalanche of reading, learning, experimenting, and working and since then. Kind of like drinking water from a firehose. The most enjoyable hobby I've ever gotten involved in, I think. And am meeting a lot of neat people along the way....

If you're interested, I'll send you some of the plans I have for future DIY speaker systems (some modifications and some from the ground up). You know, just in case you want to upgrade from the -1C's. :p

Take care,
    Geoff

P.S. And come next time!!

Member Sales Rating: (43)

WOW not only is Russ dressed, but is dressed nicely.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Seattle sucks....

Member Sales Rating: (3)

If you're interested, I'll send you some of the plans I have for future DIY speaker systems (some modifications and some from the ground up). You know, just in case you want to upgrade from the -1C's. :p

Take care,
    Geoff

P.S. And come next time!!
    Absolutely on all accounts. Thanks Geoff.

Kelvin
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Eico ST-70 Integrated Tube Amp fully rebuilt and modded
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    DBX 3BX-DS
    DBX 224-DS
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by lightman1 View Post
    Seattle sucks....
    Bite me and I enjoyed the beers...

If you're interested, I'll send you some of the plans I have for future DIY speaker systems (some modifications and some from the ground up).
    That would be kewl to see..Post them up or email me too :D

Quote Originally Posted by lightman1 View Post
    Seattle sucks....
    Lucky you waited til you left town to say that...

Hey, did you end up going back at 11:00pm?

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Default Sunday night Ale house dinner mishap

just wanted to apologize to anyone who went to the Ale house in Bothell to join us for dinner after the get together.. but when we arrived, we found the place closed. Running short on time and not having phone numbers for some of the people who thought they might go there.. we had to make a quick decision and find another place for dinner.

so sorry if you drove all that way and didn't find us there.

Quote Originally Posted by danger boy View Post
    just wanted to apologize to anyone who went to the Ale house in Bothell to join us for dinner after the get together.. but when we arrived, we found the place closed. Running short on time and not having phone numbers for some of the people who thought they might go there.. we had to make a quick decision and find another place for dinner.

Yeah that part sucked.. :( WTF a restraunt closed on a Sunday

Are you kidding me? The Ale House was closed? Had no idea that was even possible. Where did you all end up?

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Quote Originally Posted by ken brydson View Post
    Bite me and I enjoyed the beers...
    Back atcha buddy:D

Quote Originally Posted by cambir View Post
    Lucky you waited til you left town to say that...

Hey, did you end up going back at 11:00pm?
    Nope, left out Monday morning with a hang over. Thanks Al!!

I still love you anyways!
    Good times were had and new friends made. Thanks fer putting up with me ya hacks!
    Zingo rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by cambir View Post
    Are you kidding me? The Ale House was closed? Had no idea that was even possible. Where did you all end up?
    we ended up at a Mexican restaurant I think it was called Mazatlan. very good food and strong drinks and good Negra Modelo beer ;)

here is the proof :p
    Attached Images  

we ended up at a Mexican restaurant I think it was called Mazatlan. very good food and strong drinks and good Negra Modelo beer ;)

here is the proof :p
    I think I know the place. Glad you found something else close.

a few more pics from the Seattle 2010-GTG

this is Kcoc321, Bikerboy and Geoff27

KC kept saying something about no pictures... I think he's undercover in this pic.. maybe witness protection???? ;)
    Attached Images  

Bikerboy (Jeff) and Zingo (Jake) talking about a class T amp. I don't think we ever got around to hearing it.... maybe next time. :)
    Attached Images  

The "Beast"

a stunning looking and sounding Jungson JA-88 80wpc class A brute of an integrated amp. with the coolest blue light that doubles as a lighthouse to signal ships in Puget Sound during the those nights when the fog is to thick :p

seriously, this thing would be more than welcome in my house any time. love the analog VU meters. :D

You should have seen the look of disgust on Jake's face when he caught me rubbing my naughty bits on his amp :p
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10520.JPG‎
Views:	70
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	46924   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10521.JPG‎
Views:	72
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	46925  
    Last edited by danger boy; 02-23-2010 at 02:12 AM.

Here is Rosie and Jeff (wutadumsn23) very cool people. Glad to meet you guys :)
    Attached Images  

Here is Rosie and Jeff (wutadumsn23) very cool people. Glad to meet you guys :)
    Al, Are you gunna say why they look so happy?

a few more pics from the Seattle 2010-GTG

this is Kcoc321, Bikerboy and Geoff27

KC kept saying something about no pictures... I think he's undercover in this pic.. maybe witness protection???? ;)
    What? No I didn't...lol I was just wavin "Hi"

The "Beast"

a stunning looking and sounding Jungson JA-88 80wpc class A brute of an integrated amp. with the coolest blue light that doubles as a lighthouse to signal ships in Puget Sound during the those nights when the fog is to thick :p

seriously, this thing would be more than welcome in my house any time. love the analog VU meters. :D

You should have seen the look of disgust on Jake's face when he caught me rubbing my naughty bits on his amp :p
    It definately is a Beast...but mostly in a good way...
    But the part about you rubbin on it...that's WAY too much information...
    Glad I missed that part..hehe

Quote Originally Posted by kcoc321 View Post
    Al, Are you gunna say why they look so happy?
    Oops my bad.

Jeff took home this fine pair of TSi500 speakers in a drawing. His name was picked out of a old mayo jar from PolkFest 2008

Thanks to the fine folks at Polk Audio for the generous gift.

Here is Rosie hugging them... she couldn't wait to get them home.. ;)
    Attached Images  

Member Sales Rating: (27)

It took about 5 pics of Russ for me to realize which one was Russ...

Haha - too funny
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Wow, where to start. What a great time this was, best 850 miles I have put on my truck since I bought it (roundtrip of course, lol) I was a bit timid going into this because I have very little experience here and in the audio world in general. Had never heard a set of SDA's and wow, I wish I hadn't, lol. As stated in a previous post the Monitor 5's stole the show. Even my wife said "that's just those little speakers playing?" they were amazing. The 10's were great as well, as were the LS50's. All I brought was my Monitor 70's and the now MINE TSi 500's, but we'll get to that later, lol. I had never done any "serious" 2 chan listening with my 70's and I must say after hooking them up to that amp, and a buffer they sounded very good, IMHO. The TSi's also impressed in this area as well. My PSW125 was used as "oompf" when needed and did a pretty good job, eventhough it is more of a HT sub IMHO. That amp that we used was a BEAST, wow I had some ideas for my naughty bits as well, lol. I am still in shock that I walked away with a $700 pair of TSi 500's, I don't even have words to express my gratitude to Al, Mark and Polk Audio. I just happened to bring them with me because I was demoing them and knew that some of the guys hadn't heard some of Polks newer speakers, then to walk away with them, unbelievable. My wife was out in the hallway at the time and she was like wtf is going on in there, strippers? LOL. I learned a lot and met some really cool guys there. Thanks to Jake for putting it together and all the guys for treating me and my wife like one of the crew, she was very impressed with you guys and can't wait to have a little get together of our own soon before moving to Germany. Dinner with Al and Russ and (sorry Al, forgot your friends name) was a blast and let me tell you Al and Russ are some stand up guys (just don't tell Russ I said so, or he will kill me, lol) Thought I had blown a tweeter there on my 70's but as the joke earlier had stated, I just had some loose nuts, lol. Thanks again for the awesome time and taking in this newbie and treating me and my wife like you guys did. Glad you all arrived home safe and sound (esp Russ) how did your 11 O'clock plans work out? LOL Thanks again to Al, Mark and Polk Audio for the extremely generous gift of the TSi 500's, after that event I realized how much I am missing being a strictly HT guy, and plan on starting up a 2 ch rig with the 500's. Hopefully do this again soon, if I don't make it to Germany.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D

Hey Jeff, Now you have to change your signiture :D
    Congrats Again...

Al,
    Here is a link to the buffer I had, that you were asking about.
    Like I said, it is the Grant Fidelity B-283, and also the new one that GF just introduced, the B-283 MKII. To be honest, if I had the extra $65 I would probably would go for the B-283 MKII. It uses the 6SN7 tube, which I have been told is better, and has many more options available. (H9 mentioned it) They had not yet released it when I got mine.
    FYI: If you do the VIP membership, $2.99, first, you then get lower price (green prices)

The GF B-283
    http://grantfidelity.com/site/B-283+...ocessor+Buffer

The GF B-283 MKII

http://grantfidelity.com/site/Grant_...ocessor_buffer

Here is a snip of comparison from GF webpage: (comparing the two)

Compared to the 6J1 version, it offers you more refined sound and works better with mid or high price range solid state system, plus you have endless list of 6SN7 current production and NOS tubes to roll for different sound. If you have a budget sub $1000 system, the original B283 would be sufficient. If you would like to explore more about tube hi-fi and tube rolling, the B283 MKII is a perfect small investment for you to venture into tube audio and learn all about tube rolling.

deleted
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D

Quote Originally Posted by kcoc321 View Post
    Hey Jeff, Now you have to change your signiture :D
    Congrats Again...

Al,
    Here is a link to the buffer I had, that you were asking about.
    LOL, already changed it, trying to put together a 2 ch rig with them.

That buffer was awesome, it really made my 70's shine when we had em up in 2 ch mode, that will be on my list for my 2 ch rig in progress.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's