Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Bass heavy amp? Or just the way it should have been?

Looking for some experienced commentary on this question.

I bought a new amp and put it in my system a couple of days ago. The amp is an Aragon 8008 MkII. Which is identical to the 8008BB, if you're familiar. A highly rated amp from what I've read. The rest of my system you can see in my sig, including my prior amp, an Emotiva RPA-2.

Now here's my question. With this Aragon amp I'm hearing considerably more bass. It's well defined, not bad sounding, but just more of it and more forward in the music.

So is this just bass I was missing with my old amp or is it possible that the Aragon could be accentuating the bass?

Thanks,
    Jet
    System
    ModWright SWL 9.0SE Signature Preamp | Aragon 8008 Mk II Amplifier
    Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers
    Squeezebox Touch |Rega DAC
    | Jolida JD-100A CDP | Sansui TU-717 Tuner (Joseph Chow Mods)

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I'll take a stab at this one and say that you are probably getting more juice to the woofs, and there by getting more bass. It's remotely possible the amp may not have a flat FR and may be accentuating the bass a little.
    Last edited by speakergeek; 12-18-2009 at 10:03 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

It could be that you are just used to the performance of the Emo. I am going through a bit of that now with my big Sunfire out for service. I find that the bass is not as powerful and the overall sound is not as detailed as it was. It is my bet that your soundstage has gotten considerably deeper and your speakers are getting the current they need to really start living up to their full potential. The Aragon is a considerable improvement over the Emo in my opinion. Give it a couple weeks and then try listening to the Emo again... you will put the Aragon back in ten minutes or less.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    The Aragon is a considerable improvement over the Emo in my opinion.
    This is the correct answer to the OP's question.
    VTL ST50 w/mods/RCA6L6GC/TlfnknECC801S
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    TT CJ Sonographe SG3 Oak/Sumiko LMT/Grado Wood Plat/Sumiko PIB2/The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020/Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    PSAudio Cryo PwrPrt Prem/ExctPwrEP15A
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

I hope this does not turn into a Emo and other amp fight thread on our hands here soon.

From what I have found in my 2 years or so in higher end audio is that each amp will sound different. The question is weather you like the sound of the Aragon over the Emo?

Trust your ears and go with what you like. In my case it happens to be Sunfire. In others it is Emo or whatever. There are people on this forum that have gone from amp to amp to amp and finaly get one that sounds good to them.
    Sunfire TGP, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Sunfire 300~2 (2), Sunfire True Sub (2),Carver ALS Platinum, Carver AL III, TFM-55, C-19, C-9, TX-8, SDA-490t, SDA-390t

Quote Originally Posted by thuffman03 View Post
    There are people on this forum that have gone from amp to amp to amp and finally get one that sounds good to them.
    That's kind of my plan too. May take awhile! Sunfire is on my short list, but I couldn't pass up the Aragon when it showed up on A-gon

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....I-Stereo-Ampli

I've had a chance tonight to really sit down and play a few familiar CD's on this amp and I'm really liking it. That's a good idea to listen to it a couple of weeks and then switching my old amp back in for a final check. I'll try it.
    Last edited by Jetmaker737; 12-18-2009 at 11:59 PM.
    System

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Jetmaker, are you a structures guy? I am one with one of your competitors:D Amps are like bucking bars. They all will put a shop head on the rivet but some are just the right shape and weight for the spot your hitting.

As you try different amps, pres, wires or whatever, each will exhibit a strength or weakness. The fun (read expensive) part is trying all the variables until your satisfied, which in most cases is never

Gordon
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Jetmaker, are you a structures guy?
    Yes, I do have a bit of Structures experience! I also dip my toes in other parts of the airplane (Aero, Propulsion, Systems, ... even Payloads). I've been around a few bucking bars so your analogy is a good one for me.
    System

Member Sales Rating: (25)

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaker737 View Post
    So is this just bass I was missing with my old amp
    yes.

or is it possible that the Aragon could be accentuating the bass?
    no..
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

Member Sales Rating: (16)

^^^ What he said!

These are the kind of differences you notice when you start getting past entry level stuff. Aragon makes nice sounding gear. It was on my short list for a long time.

Enjoy

H9

P.s. Russ, how do you like the Monarchy's SE100's vs. the SM70's you had?
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (0)

It is hard to tell what made your change. It is possible that the old amp had poor low frrequency response, or had poor control of the woofer not being able to drive it effeciently. The new amp can have more power, better low impedence drive, or can actually have worse control of the woofer making bass muddier and appear enhanced.

One way to tell is to play music that is very drum intensive. Drums have highly dynamic signals. Listen to each amp and decide if the bass seems to ring on after a drum hit or if it dies out well. Listen to dynamica and see which one has more punch or feel in the chest. An amp with good control and response will be dynamic, have no ringing and wide dynamics that translate the sound to a feel. My recent amp change while seemingly to have less bass, is actually a better quality bass.
    Dave
    In love with SDA since 1984

2CH: SDA SRS (new caps) with NAD 541I, NAD 917 and modded Phase 400 (soon to be NAD 208)

HT: SDA 1C (new caps, SL2500s, bass mod) with NAD T763 and Monitor 4 as surround

Other vintage stuff, Sansui G9000, Pioneer 1980

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Yes, I do have a bit of Structures experience! I also dip my toes in other parts of the airplane (Aero, Propulsion, Systems, ... even Payloads). I've been around a few bucking bars so your analogy is a good one for me.
    Congrats on your first flight! If I have right company:D

Gordon
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Congrats on your first flight! If I have right company:D

Gordon
    Thanks!... only a couple of years late
    System

Thread Information