Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 61
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (15)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,407

    Default My Yaqin CD-2 is here!!!

    YAY!!!!

    I'll be picking this up sometime this afternoon after i get off of work, then it's off to play. :D

    I will of course be taking pictures. I'm excited, i hope this makes as big of a difference as Inspiredsports experienced with the CD-1. If it does, this will have been a great season for my rig, and for not that much money. :p Under $100 for the buffer, $38 for the speaker cables, and $7 for the spikes!
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    696

    Default

    Great!... Have fun. It made a very definite change in my system. Let us know how it turns out.
    System
    ModWright SWL 9.0SE Signature Preamp | Aragon 8008 Mk II Amplifier
    Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers
    Squeezebox Touch |Rega DAC
    | Jolida JD-100A CDP | Sansui TU-717 Tuner (Joseph Chow Mods)

  3. #3
    Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    11,185

    Default

    I've heard good things.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Andromeda
    Posts
    14,414

    Default

    Get some Mullard M8100 triodes for it and call it a day.

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Richton Park,IL.
    Posts
    5,072

    Default

    Congrats!
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Andromeda
    Posts
    14,414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    Get some Mullard M8100 pentodes for it and call it a day.

    Oops! Fixed. :o

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (15)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Yeah, i have to research what i want to do for tubes... A tube upgrade is probably a month or two down the road, though, so i've got plenty of time to get my research on. :)
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Andromeda
    Posts
    14,414

    Default

    From what I've researched when I bought mine, the M8100's are among the best. I scored some Raytheon 6AK5W's for mine that sound pretty good also, concealer.

    Here's some nice Mullard CV4010 equivalents on the cheap. You want to ditch the crappy Chinese 6J1's once it's broke in.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/5654-6AK5-6096-C...item22fc14161e

    Bought from this seller before. He's solid and ships fast.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    21,321

    Default

    Congrats! Now I suggest you find a local shrink and make an appointment for impending obsessive/compulsive disorder.

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In A Van Down By The River
    Posts
    21,238

    Default

    Chinese tubes really suck compared to a nice pair of NOS type tubes.

    Congrats.........Enjoy

    TUBES ADD SOUL
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (15)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    From what I've researched when I bought mine, the M8100's are among the best. I scored some Raytheon 6AK5W's for mine that sound pretty good also, concealer.

    Here's some nice Mullard CV4010 equivalents on the cheap. You want to ditch the crappy Chinese 6J1's once it's broke in.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/5654-6AK5-6096-C...item22fc14161e

    Bought from this seller before. He's solid and ships fast.
    You had the CD2, right? What tube variants am i looking for? This thing came with 6J1s. Keep in mind i got this thing before i did ANY research on tubes whatsoever. :p

    Quote Originally Posted by hearingimpaired
    Congrats! Now I suggest you find a local shrink and make an appointment for impending obsessive/compulsive disorder.
    Ah well... could be fun. ;)

    Quote Originally Posted by heiney9
    Chinese tubes really suck compared to a nice pair of NOS type tubes.

    Congrats.........Enjoy

    TUBES ADD SOUL
    Thanks man! :)
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Andromeda
    Posts
    14,414

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (15)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Oh man, that first link is awesome, thanks mike! :)

    The second one, couldn't find the 6J1. :(
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Andromeda
    Posts
    14,414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
    The second one, couldn't find the 6J1. :(
    Some won't come up. Try 6AK5, 5654, EF95 or some of the other variants.

    Check out Brent Jessee. This is another good tube resource.

    http://www.audiotubes.com/

    Our own doctorcilantro might be someone to talk to also. He hooked me up with some nice Amperex tubes for my Dared preamp. Shoot him a PM. Jon's a great guy to work with and might have something for the Yaq.

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (47)

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sufficiently Breathless
    Posts
    11,284

    Default

    Jon can usually come up with whatever you're looking for,if you give him a little notice,,he obtained some 5ar4 moo-lards for me at a very reasonable price.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Andromeda
    Posts
    14,414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by george daniel View Post
    Jon can usually come up with whatever you're looking for,if you give him a little notice,,he obtained some 5ar4 moo-lards for me at a very reasonable price.
    Yep! He hooked me up with a very nice GZ32 Miniwatt rectifier, well below what I've seen them go for elsewhere. Jon's da man!

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (15)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Thanks guys... how do i know what the variants of the 6J1 are?
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

  18. #18

    Member Sales Rating: (45)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NC Foothills
    Posts
    4,637

    Default

    Have you got it hooked up yet? How does it sound?

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (15)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    No, my girlfriend ordered it for me for xmas, and shipped it to her mother's house. :( I'll have it hooked up tomorrow.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

  20. #20

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Andromeda
    Posts
    14,414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
    Thanks guys... how do i know what the variants of the 6J1 are?
    Just use the ones I've recommended already as your reference and bookmark those links.

    5654
    6AK5
    EF95
    CV4010

    Once you find the M8100's those will be all you'll ever want or need. Trust me. ;)

  21. #21

    Member Sales Rating: (44)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    INDIANA
    Posts
    2,868

    Default

    Get it yet?







    Nik

  22. #22

    Member Sales Rating: (15)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikolas812 View Post
    Get it yet?







    Nik


    Mmmmmmhrrmmmmmmm... ;)

    It sounds fantastic. I'll update more tomorrow, but this seems to have solved my mids problem, and i'm not sure if i can attribute this to the buffer or not, but my bass roll-off seems to have extended lower? There was a particular note in one track on a CD that i've always noticed just wasn't there without a sub.

    Well... now it's there. :D
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

  23. #23

    Member Sales Rating: (26)

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Salinas, CA
    Posts
    5,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
    Mmmmmmhrrmmmmmmm... ;)

    It sounds fantastic. I'll update more tomorrow, but this seems to have solved my mids problem, and i'm not sure if i can attribute this to the buffer or not, but my bass roll-off seems to have extended lower? There was a particular note in one track on a CD that i've always noticed just wasn't there without a sub.

    Well... now it's there. :D
    Wait til the tubes burn in..........or better yet wait until you roll tubes.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

    For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104



    Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.

  24. #24

    Member Sales Rating: (15)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kawizx9r View Post
    Wait til the tubes burn in..........or better yet wait until you roll tubes.
    Yeah, i'm going to order the cheapies that Mike recommended to get my feet wet, and go from there. :D

    You need to come back and visit.

    Nik, you do, too. I can't believe i even used to tolerate what this setup used to sound like, what it sounded like last time you were here. I think you'll poop yourself with the difference everything has made. And it was all cheap. Speaker cables, spikes, vibrapods under the CDP, and now this buffer. Under $150 for it all, and it's about a 1000% improvement. The 7s just won't be able to hang anymore.

    Is it normal for one tube to glow brighter than the other, by the way?
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

  25. #25

    Member Sales Rating: (8)

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sunny South Florida
    Posts
    3,044

    Default

    i'm still digging mine!

  26. #26

    Member Sales Rating: (15)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sda2mike View Post
    i'm still digging mine!
    What tubes did you try? Or did you just switch from the Chinese ones to what you've got in your sig?

    If this pans out to be as good as i think it's going to be, i may start to think more seriously about trying their CDP.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

  27. #27

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In A Van Down By The River
    Posts
    21,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
    Yeah, i'm going to order the cheapies that Mike recommended to get my feet wet, and go from there. :D

    You need to come back and visit.

    Nik, you do, too. I can't believe i even used to tolerate what this setup used to sound like, what it sounded like last time you were here. I think you'll poop yourself with the difference everything has made. And it was all cheap. Speaker cables, spikes, vibrapods under the CDP, and now this buffer. Under $150 for it all, and it's about a 1000% improvement. The 7s just won't be able to hang anymore.

    Is it normal for one tube to glow brighter than the other, by the way?

    My recommemdation, from experience, is pass on the cheapies and go for the better stuff. If you are hearing that much of a difference with the crappy chinese tubes you'll really freak out when you hear something along the lines of the Mullard's.

    In most cases when I had a tube glow brighter than the other it was fine, in one case the tube blew out in less than an hour. Being you're using the el cheapo Chinese tubes...........it doesn't surprise me one bit one glows brighter than the other. Get some real tubes in there :p:D

    H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

  28. #28

    Member Sales Rating: (15)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    My recommemdation, from experience, is pass on the cheapies and go for the better stuff. If you are hearing that much of a difference with the crappy chinese tubes you'll really freak out when you hear something along the lines of the Mullard's.

    In most cases when I had a tube glow brighter than the other it was fine, in one case the tube blew out in less than an hour. Being you're using the el cheapo Chinese tubes...........it doesn't surprise me one bit one glows brighter than the other. Get some real tubes in there :p:D

    H9
    So either pair that Mike recommended should be fine, yes? Or would i do well to be more patient and just grab the M8100s?

    I appreciate everyone's help in this endeavor. I should have done more research beforehand, but i'm glad that i made the jump. But i'm also dreading what this jump is going to do to my wallet in the end. I'm going to try my best to at least hold steady on the Preamp not moving out of my system anytime soon. :p
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

  29. #29
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    21,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
    So either pair that Mike recommended should be fine, yes? Or would i do well to be more patient and just grab the M8100s?

    I appreciate everyone's help in this endeavor. I should have done more research beforehand, but i'm glad that i made the jump. But i'm also dreading what this jump is going to do to my wallet in the end. I'm going to try my best to at least hold steady on the Preamp not moving out of my system anytime soon. :p
    I repeat:

    Quote Originally Posted by hearingimpared View Post
    Congrats! Now I suggest you find a local shrink and make an appointment for impending obsessive/compulsive disorder.

  30. #30

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In A Van Down By The River
    Posts
    21,238

    Default

    When I bought my Dared pre-amp I immediately went on a buying spree snatching up close to 15 different types/years/variants of the tubes, if you add the rectifier to that make that 20+. I found the newer "cheaper" selling tubes were nice, but when I started getting into some of the 40's, 50's 60's tubes that's where I really noticed a HUGE difference. But I had to know, so that's why I experimented with close to $300+ in tubes.

    It's fine to buy a pair of the cheaper alternatives, but don't settle. Keep doing your research and get a really nice tube like the Mullard 8100, etc.

    This time around with the Dared VP16 tube integrated I just bought for the office rig.......I've already started at close to the top of the chain based on tube recommendations. In the end it's much cheaper and more satisfying :p:D.

    Have fun, keep exploring and maybe even get a second job..........because you've opened your own Pandora's Box :p:D:)

    H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

    Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Yaqin CD Player
    By concealer404 in forum Electronics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-20-2009, 09:43 AM
  2. Wanted Yaqin tube buffer
    By nikolas812 in forum Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-19-2008, 08:59 AM
  3. Yaqin MS-12B
    By cubdog in forum 2 Channel Audio
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-14-2008, 07:13 PM
  4. Impressed with Yaqin Tube Buffer
    By Stew in forum 2 Channel Audio
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 05:17 PM
  5. Tube buffer. Yaqin?
    By brijenjas in forum Electronics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-28-2007, 03:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts