Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    36

    Default What do I buy to drive my new HT?

    I used this ongoing deal on NewEgg:

    Speaker Expiry Code Total after Code
    M70-Black 1/1/2010 EMCMNNT58 159.99
    CS2-Black 12/27/2009 EMCMNNM34 109.99
    M30-Black 12/27/2009 EMCMNNM35 85.99
    PSW10-Black 1/1/2010 EMCMNNT59 92.99

    You can use this to build your entire 5.1 system for ~$600! All speakers go with each other, except the sub. The sub will do something, but not much with M70. PSW505 will be much better with M70.

    I just bought the above (except the sub). My first setup!

    Any recommendation on which reciever to buy? I wont bi-wire or pre-amp these. I hoping to get something <$400. Thats all I can pay for at this time.

    I asked the same question on "Speakers" forum and xcapri recommended Yamaha RX-V765 for ~$450 and wesouth recommended Onkyo TX SR 707 for $469. Thanks guys! I have a decent sized room and I have 1080LCD, Blu ray with BD and Wii in use. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,644

    Default

    having the 665, i would second Xcapri's suggestion of the Yamaha
    HT - game room
    Yamaha RX V665 - AVR, Polk Monitor 60's,(HT), Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS 1, Polk PSW 505, Samsung PN50B550 - 50" Plasma, PS3, Wii

    2ch - spare bedroom
    Squeezebox Touch->AQ Alpha Snake->Music Hall A15.2->Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1
    Yamaha S1800(SACD),Technics SL-QD33(TT)
    Head-fi - Sennheiser HD 280, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, B&W P5, Sennheiser HD 650
    Lenovo Laptop-> Dragonfly USB DAC/amp
    Server-QNAP TS110

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (12)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bethlehem, PA
    Posts
    1,914

    Default

    Harman Kardon HKAVR 354. I got it for less than 400 dollars from the Harman Kardon Ebay store. Can't go wrong at all with this unit!
    2 Channel/HT:
    Sony SS-M9 P's (ES version)
    Sony SS-M1CN Center Channel
    Polk RT800 Surround Speakers
    Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono Amplifiers
    TAD 150 Signature Tube Preamp
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Thanks for the reply! One thing confuses me though. Why pay for a 7.1 when I need 5.1; and no thoughts of increasing the channels?

    I have been looking at Amazon also and Sony features prominently among top best sellers. But on one here recommends them. Is the becuase they are not that great or they dont go with Polks?

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    278

    Default

    would recommend used denon from ebay/craigslist....etc

    i own hk 354.which is a good unit but i previously owned a denon and was very happt w its performance

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (15)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Budget $100 more and get the Onkyo TX-SR707 on amazon right now for $500 shipped.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    36

    Default

    So is the Onkyo TX-SR707 is the best new reciever for $500 ouh there?

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (12)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bethlehem, PA
    Posts
    1,914

    Default

    If you are strictly looking at NEW, then Onkyo is probably the best bang for the buck for 500 bucks. I bought two refurbished units, and have had no regrets.
    2 Channel/HT:
    Sony SS-M9 P's (ES version)
    Sony SS-M1CN Center Channel
    Polk RT800 Surround Speakers
    Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono Amplifiers
    TAD 150 Signature Tube Preamp
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (15)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AshishG View Post
    So is the Onkyo TX-SR707 is the best new reciever for $500 ouh there?
    On the new market, arguably yes. :)
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Hmmm......so my receiver selection has reduced. I looked for price comparison and this is what I think I can get for less than $500:

    HK AVR 354 - Refurb/Used
    Yamaha RX-V765 - Refurb/Used
    Onkyo TX-SR707 - New

    I can go for Used/Refurb if sound quality is much better. Still long way to go before it narrows down to 1 for me. I guess I need more help!

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    887

    Default

    If you need help why don't you seek the advice of a professional and see a dealer? Why would you rely on an internet forum? The argument from some would be that you get unbiased opinions from a forum where a dealer sells and recommends what he carries...internet forums are however no different. People will tell you to buy whatever they own in an effort to justify their very own purchase.

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (15)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuSh View Post
    If you need help why don't you seek the advice of a professional and see a dealer? Why would you rely on an internet forum? The argument from some would be that you get unbiased opinions from a forum where a dealer sells and recommends what he carries...internet forums are however no different. People will tell you to buy whatever they own in an effort to justify their very own purchase.
    Well... that's not true either... While as they say, nobody likes to have their baby called ugly, i don't think we all just spew out whatever we own when these questions come up.

    I vote for the Onkyo. I don't own an Onkyo receiver. I own a Pioneer reciever. ;) I HAVE owned Onkyo receivers, and HAVE owned Pioneer receivers, and the Onkyos were better in my experience, but i didn't need that. So now, i "settle" with a Pioneer VSX-50 Elite.

    The dealer would want you to just spend as much as he could possibly get out of you, except for those rare dealers that are in it for the love, not the money.

    Really, in his instance, he could pick any of those three receivers and be perfectly happy, as they're all pretty capable. All we can give, and all we are giving right now are opinions. He makes the decision in the end.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    887

    Default

    A dealer who doesn't have a customers best interests in mind will likely not be a dealer for very long...it amazes me the bond or trust people have with somebody sitting several thousand miles away typing via keyboard but wouldn't trust a brick and mortar store with a real live person who has to stand behind what they say.

    Two suggestions within this very thread were from those who already own the gear, and basically that's the majority of answers you'll see in threads over and over. A number of people recommending gear they own.
    Last edited by LuSh; 12-28-2009 at 03:10 PM.

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (15)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    I'm unsure what you're saying now...

    So we don't have his best interests in mind here? We certainly aren't gaining anything regardless of what he ends up picking... all we can do is offer choices and inputs. He asked, we'll answer. What we have hear is a group of people that have a far greater range of experiences than ANY dealer, so it's a better source of information. It would be pretty unlikely for one dealer to have experience, or carry all three of these AVRs, and be able to comment on them. If the dealer only carries Pioneer and Yamaha, but not Onkyo, then he's potentially missing out on the oppurtunity/privilege to have that 3rd choice to choose from, and that 3rd choice MIGHT even be the "right" choice for him.

    Should i have recommended Pioneer instead, because that's what i'm using?

    The difference is that WE aren't selling him anything.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    887

    Default

    The difference is he's confused and a dealer might be able to help. Most dealers have carried all the brands you have mentioned at some point. And the difference is a dealer has to stand behind what he says, if he makes a mistake then he has to answer for it, unlike a web forum which riddled with mis-information. I use to post on here often but over the years I've come to learn what it is, for the most part a cess pool of mis-information. Make no mistake there is a place for forums and I still visit to see whats new from poster's I've learned to trust over the years but they are few and far between.

    The 'we aren't selling him anything' can be completely disregarded for the same reasons you imply. Because nobody is selling him anything it is less likely he will likely get the correct information and accurate information because nobody is around to clean stuff up when things are incorrect, instead the person is left more confused. I digress...use forums if you wish but in this particular case I think the OP is better to seek the advice of a dealer and gain a strong foothold.

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Just came back from lunch.....

    I like this forum becuase:
    1. Mostly eveyone owns a Polk (like I do)
    2. There are lot of people with more experience than I have
    3. Unbiased to some good extent (I feel)

    When I first decided to build by HT system, my experience with dealers over here was not that great. I felt being pushed to buy something they had in stock and for the max I can cough $$ up. Thanks to some of the pre-exiting threads that I read, I felt confident in getting the Monitor series for my first HT.

    Having said that, folks reading threads over here, should be responsible enough to do some basic research of their own.

    Again, thanks to all the Polksters:).

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Thanks for your opinion LuSH:). I will also talk to some dealers in next few days before making my final decision.

  18. #18

    Member Sales Rating: (12)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bethlehem, PA
    Posts
    1,914

    Default

    The best to judge is you. I had a difficult time because I couldn't find dealers that dealt with HK equipment, and the Denon I was looking at wasn't local also. From my point of view, I upgraded from the Onkyo 606. I was unsatisfied with the music coming from it, but was pleased with the HT usage. Listening to the 354, I think it is more powerful, and more musical. I have not compared it to the 707 (one step up from the 606/607 I had). Again, i suggested the 354 as an option because I have it, and love it, and have heard many other comparable models (Including Denon 1610, 1910, Marantz 5003, Pioneer Elite VSX 21/23, SC 05, HK 254, etc,). I am pleased with my purchase because it filled my needs...listen to as many as you can, read what you can, talk to people who own it (I talked to about 5 people on this forum alone about the HK 254 and 354...sending a PM was a great idea because the people always responded very nicely...thanks guys!). I'm sure you'll make an informed decision! Good luck!

    James
    2 Channel/HT:
    Sony SS-M9 P's (ES version)
    Sony SS-M1CN Center Channel
    Polk RT800 Surround Speakers
    Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono Amplifiers
    TAD 150 Signature Tube Preamp
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    58

    Default

    I have to agree with Lush's thoughts regarding trusting B&M's. They seem to be slowly disappearing. These people make their living selling, fixing, studying A/V gear. They should not ignored. Too many times people read all of these great deals on this site from Amazon, Newegg etc.... then people make a blind purchase because it's a 'can't miss deal'. The fat of the matter is...there will ALWAYS be another deal. What you're passing up though is the fun of auditioning stuff, having good conversation and maybe other options that may creep in.

    I would audition a bunch first...then see what you like most...then come here and share your thoughts and opinions.

  20. #20

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Will do!!! I am planning to hit Best Buy and Fry's tomorrow.

  21. #21

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fairchild AFB WA.
    Posts
    3,630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuSh View Post
    If you need help why don't you seek the advice of a professional and see a dealer? Why would you rely on an internet forum? The argument from some would be that you get unbiased opinions from a forum where a dealer sells and recommends what he carries...internet forums are however no different. People will tell you to buy whatever they own in an effort to justify their very own purchase.

    Don't really agree here. I do recommend Onkyo's mostly (and yes I own one) but if there are other options out there that are similar in nature and happen to be cheaper or closer to what the OP wants, then I will recommend something else. Have recommended RTi's, LSi's, amps and subwoofers that I don't own and probably never will. For me, it is getting what the person wants at the price they want. Just my $.02

    -Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3


    2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

    It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D

  22. #22

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    36

    Default

    I GOT MY MONITOR SPEAKERS DELIVERED TODAY. The packaging was little roughed up, but the speakers seem to be in good condition. I couldnt find a scratch.:)

    I also jumped on a Denon 790 deal at Overstock for $320. It has all the features I want with my (future) 5.1 system. Right now I am at 5.0.

    I guess I will have to wait for 1-2 weeks to actually get the reciever, but this price was too good to pass and I liked the Denon also at the dealers.

    I hope evrythign works out to my satisfaction in the end as I havent listed to Denon with Monitor together.

  23. #23

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    278

    Default

    denon is excellent brand,like i said previously,i owned one before and it sounded great w/ my polks

  24. #24

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Back from Japan in Lake Wylie, SC.
    Posts
    7,872

    Default

    Are you an AVS forum member, if so this a very good deal. Allot of bang for buck at this price being offered.

    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/vbcla...do=ad&id=12388
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

    Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

  25. #25

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuSh View Post
    A dealer who doesn't have a customers best interests in mind will likely not be a dealer for very long...it amazes me the bond or trust people have with somebody sitting several thousand miles away typing via keyboard but wouldn't trust a brick and mortar store with a real live person who has to stand behind what they say.

    Two suggestions within this very thread were from those who already own the gear, and basically that's the majority of answers you'll see in threads over and over. A number of people recommending gear they own.
    I went to 5 different stores trying to put together my HT. # were high end stores that were snobs when they seen how I was dressed (tshirt and jeans) and wouldn't even try and answer my questions because they assumed I was broke. electronic stores that also sold speakers and they coudn't even answer my questions.

    I ended up buying the rm 95 package before I found this forum just on my own. After I got in this forum I ended up upgrading and saving literally 1000$ buy using polk direct after someone told me about it. Now the only piece of equipment I don't like that I own is one that a guy in a store sold me. He said it had all the power any speakers I bought would need. It's a dennon 1909 with 90 watts and no pre outs.

    If I would have known this forum was here before I started buying things, I would have saved more money and got twice the setup I have now.

    The best way to do it, is to arm yourself with knowledge from the forums and then go into the stores educated, that way you don't get taken for a ride. After all that you just buy the stuff online for 2/3 the price the store is selling it for, but at least you have hundreds of peoples opinions and a few "experts".

    In my opinion these forums are much better then going into some store and not knowing what your looking at.
    And as far as suggesting the receiver I have , I wouldn't do it. I would tell them to look online for factory refurbished receivers and get the best bang for the buck they can.
    Denon 1909, want to upgrade for pre outs
    Fronts-polk RTi A5
    center-polk CSi A4
    Sides Polk FXi A6
    rears- polk rm8's
    sub-SVS pb-13 ultra
    Blue ray-ps3
    Panasonic plasma 50 inch
    Buttkicker(don't use or need it anymore since getting the Ultra)

  26. #26

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bevo View Post
    After I got in this forum I ended up upgrading and saving literally 1000$ buy using polk direct after someone told me about it.

    The best way to do it, is to arm yourself with knowledge from the forums and then go into the stores educated, that way you don't get taken for a ride.
    Well Said!! Glad you saved your hard earned money.

    Quote Originally Posted by bevo View Post
    Now the only piece of equipment I don't like that I own is one that a guy in a store sold me. He said it had all the power any speakers I bought would need. It's a dennon 1909 with 90 watts and no pre outs.
    What dont you like about this? is 90W not sufficient or you wanted pre-outs?

  27. #27

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AshishG View Post



    What dont you like about this? is 90W not sufficient or you wanted pre-outs?
    90 watts isn't to bad for me for now, but I would like to upgrade to the rtia 9's in the future, and I would need the pre outs for an external amp.

    The 1909 has issues as well besides the pre outs. Audysey always messes up calibration, but I like the EQ settings it used for movies. So everytime I switch inputs with it, it takes my speaker levels back to the audysey settings and they are way off, by 5 db for some speakers, and by 8.5 db for my sub. So everytime I turn on my receiver I have to change the speaker levels. I can't for the life of me figure out how to save my personal settings for each device I have hooked up to it.
    I have a xbox, ps3, and cable box, and I set in different spots in the room for each of them. I would really like to be able to save my levels and distances for each one.
    Denon 1909, want to upgrade for pre outs
    Fronts-polk RTi A5
    center-polk CSi A4
    Sides Polk FXi A6
    rears- polk rm8's
    sub-SVS pb-13 ultra
    Blue ray-ps3
    Panasonic plasma 50 inch
    Buttkicker(don't use or need it anymore since getting the Ultra)

  28. #28

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    294

    Default

    I think my Yamaha RX-V463 is ****ty. However the RX-V765 might be a good bit better.

    I have a pair of monitor 60s and a CS10 in front with monitor 40s in the back. I have heard both sets of speakers with different receivers all other things being equal and the my Yamaha is wonderful under performer. But it was a $99 floor item and the 765 is much higher up on the food chain. However I would still say Onkyo, H/K Denon etc... do a better job. Just don't buy a Sony thats even worse then my Yamaha.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Drive in Movies?
    By Airplay355 in forum Car Audio & Electronics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-22-2009, 08:46 PM
  2. 2GB USB Flash Drive
    By polkatese in forum Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2006, 12:47 PM
  3. No CD in drive?
    By Airplay355 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2006, 08:59 PM
  4. What Do You Drive?
    By swerve in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 208
    Last Post: 06-30-2006, 08:41 PM
  5. Need help with CD-RW drive
    By Airplay355 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-13-2005, 07:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts