Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Room Treatments

Member Sales Rating: (7)

I just found out ATS is only about 2 hours away from me.... Looks like I may have to head over for some DIY purchases soon... :)
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

Member Sales Rating: (17)

I just finished building 4 panels for my HT using these steps. So far I've only put one behind the front left speaker and center. The other two are sitting in the garage. One of them is 7' x 2' to go on the wall directly behind the couch. Obviously a two person job so it's going up this weekend. Then I have one more left to do next week.

I will post pics and detailed impressions this weekend.

Member Sales Rating: (45)

I have a question about where to place the panels. The 1st reflection point I understand, but how do you determine where to put the panels that go behind the speakers? Looking in the system showcase, I see some directly behind the speakers, and others not. Can somebody please explain?

Member Sales Rating: (31)

It's whatever works best in your room, it's going to take some experimentation.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (45)

Sounds good.

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by Conradicles View Post
    I have a question about where to place the panels. The 1st reflection point I understand, but how do you determine where to put the panels that go behind the speakers? Looking in the system showcase, I see some directly behind the speakers, and others not. Can somebody please explain?
    Hey Bud, PM jm1 (John) he has become quite the expert on room treatments and is a fanatic about it. He just recently told me that he hasn't spent money on gear of late but has gone hog wild on room treatments as he finds it more and more astounding how it has improved and keeps improving the sound and performance of his current gear.

I'm sure he'll bend your ear and field all of your room treatment questions and give you more advice on room treatments than you could possibly think of.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

I'd have to second talking to jm1. I a firm believer in RT's. I have 10 in my 11X24 living room. Thank the heavens for an understanding and appreciative wife! But jm1 has the hot lick on the cutting edge RT's. I've just the massive pieces but boy do they really make a difference!

Gordon
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    I'd have to second talking to jm1. I a firm believer in RT's. I have 10 in my 11X24 living room. Thank the heavens for an understanding and appreciative wife! But jm1 has the hot lick on the cutting edge RT's. I've just the massive pieces but boy do they really make a difference!

Gordon
    Yeah man, he really does his homework.:)

Member Sales Rating: (1)

When experimenting, give it time.

Install the panels, and listen for a few days. Once you get used to the new sound, then go ahead and move the panels around. The initial change from adding the panels to the room will swamp your senses and prevent you from tweaking properly on day one.

Member Sales Rating: (24)

sooo has anyone done room treatments for the rear of the room that "liven up the back of the room". I was told when I visited a hi fi shop that there is supposed to be a "type" of treatment that you can do to the back of a room that was an odd looking panel and that cost an arm and leg that is supposed to help "liven" up the back of the room.

The room sounded great, however I didn't know what the name of the company was that made the treatment except that it cost way too much and wondering if anyone has had similar affects in their own DIY ones.

Very long panel with some ridges that was about 2 ft wide about 6ft long in the middle of the back wall
    Last edited by cstmar01; 07-01-2010 at 09:39 PM.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Dynavector p75 modded phono stage
    Rega P25 modded-Denon 103R Cart
    Squeezebox Touch
    Modded Music Hall DAC Burson op amps
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

I'm thinking you may heard/seen a diffusor, or stretching it, an abfusor. Lots of diy on line for diffusors, but time comsuming to make.

Gordon
    2 Channel -
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Here is a pic of some panels that I built a few months ago using some OC 703. The bass traps in the corners are doubled up to 4in. and the all the other panels are 2in. panels that are offset 2in. off of the wall. This was probably the biggest tweak, even more than new XO components. It is a rental property so this was really the only room I could have to myself, the basement. The room was really bad with no panels, slap echo was atrocious. The most tedious part is finishing them with burlap. The first one was terrible but soon I got in a rhythm and found a system that worked for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0008.jpg‎
Views:	175
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	50081   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0007.jpg‎
Views:	127
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	50082  

I really get stoked when folks start taking the room into account.:D I've said it before but, before anyone buys wires, dacs, amps or any other piece, buy or build some quality traps for your room. By far the best bang for the buck one could ever hope for!!!

If I took all the money I spent on gear and spent half of it on traps, I'd still be money ahead! Nice looking room nduitch!

Gordon

edit: Since I have to watch HGTV with the better half, try covering them with a contrasting or complimentary color fabric. Who know's, she might join you for a listening session!
    2 Channel -

[QUOTE=Hawkeye;1372633]I really get stoked when folks start taking the room into account.:D I've said it before but, before anyone buys wires, dacs, amps or any other piece, buy or build some quality traps for your room. By far the best bang for the buck one could ever hope for!!!

If I took all the money I spent on gear and spent half of it on traps, I'd still be money ahead! Nice looking room nduitch!

Gordon

Thanks, Well said Gordon. It really is a game changer. Even when my amp broke my 50 watt Yamaha receiver sounded great. I don't think one can begin to do "the tweaks" until the room is treated.

Dutchman

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nduitch View Post
    Here is a pic of some panels that I built a few months ago using some OC 703. The bass traps in the corners are doubled up to 4in. and the all the other panels are 2in. panels that are offset 2in. off of the wall. This was probably the biggest tweak, even more than new XO components. It is a rental property so this was really the only room I could have to myself, the basement. The room was really bad with no panels, slap echo was atrocious. The most tedious part is finishing them with burlap. The first one was terrible but soon I got in a rhythm and found a system that worked for me.
    Nice work! That room seens like it goes on forever. What are the dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by hearingimpared View Post
    Nice work! That room seens like it goes on forever. What are the dimensions.
    Thanks. Dimensions are 12 x 20. Can't really get the speakers as wide as I liked them in my old apartment, the sound stage was much better when they were about 8 feet apart, but sound quality was not as good without the panels.

Quote Originally Posted by nduitch View Post
    So What did you do on the back of the panels so you could hang them off the wall a couple inches?

I've seen people mount them flush but from what I've read having them off the wall is suppose to be better.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Just build them with a thicker frame so there is a larger gap between the wall and insulation.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    Just build them with a thicker frame so there is a larger gap between the wall and insulation.
    Thanks.

That was my original plan but wasnt sure if that would be suffice.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Wow!!! Very nice room.
    Hot Rodded SDA 1.2TL's, SDA 1C's, SDA CRS+'s...