Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Default Burson Audio products

Any thoughts on their product line? In particular this piece...http://www.bursonaudio.com/burson_buffer_160.htm. Interesting concept that seems to get some pretty good reviews. It actually seems to deliver on it's promise.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Interesting idea and one worthy of discussion. Though personally I pay attention to it in gear I buy, I never thought about the affect on the signal even in a minor mismatch. Would be interesting to hear some thoughts from people who have used this piece.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

I should be hearing one next week.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Hrmmm... I would have laughed at this two years ago, but after hearing a difference with the addition of a power conditioner (Gear is 'happier' at an ideal stable voltage level? no way!!!), this seems pretty feasible to me. Also interested to see if anyone here has tried one.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    I should be hearing one next week.
    I await your honest review. Your reviews are very good by the way & you don't hold back on your findings whether they are good, bad or indifferent.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

I modified my Music Hall DAC with Burson op-amps and clock. Great product.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

From what I heard, Burson Op-amps are overrated but don't know about the clock. You can get a similar quality op-amps a lot cheaper from National Semi or Texas Instruments (which acquired BB also).

Member Sales Rating: (58)

The Burson op-amps sounded better than the TI or Wolfson I tried in other stuff but that's subjective.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

BB, NI, TI, Wolfson, Burson makes all good ones. Something better than the other is a bit subjective and all rigs dependet and most of all, an ear dependent.

I looked most of the op-amps datasheets and some looks better than others but how one sounds is entirely different matters and depends on many other things in the design.

Are there any other makers out there with this sort of product ? The whole idea has me curious now.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Are there any other makers out there with this sort of product ? The whole idea has me curious now.
    Ahh! Come on Tony...just buy the damn thing & give us an honest review on your findings. :p
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.

Been out of work too long Phil, the wife would have my nuts in the pasta maker.

I like to plan for things when money isn't so tight. That Burson looks damn sweet though.

Seems to almost be a glorified power conditioner though.
    Last edited by tonyb; 01-10-2010 at 10:23 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

just how much does the buffer cost these days?I was lookin at one last year but decided not to buy unless I could hear it first.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Adcom 565 monoblocks--Monarchy Audio M-10 preamp
    Theta Data Basic Transport--Camelot Arthur DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
    DH Labs Q-10 Signature Speaker Cables With Furez silver plated copper bananas
    Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference AES/EBU
    Prophecy Cryo-Silver i2s digital cable
    4 Furutech FP-314Ag with FI-11cu Plugs/FI-11AG IECs--- Power Cords
    DH LABS REVELATIONS ICs-amps
    Revelation Audio Labs Paradise cryo-silver ICs-Source to pre

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Been out of work too long Phil, the wife would have my nuts in the pasta maker.

I like to plan for things when money isn't so tight. That Burson looks damn sweet though.

Seems to almost be a glorified power conditioner though.
    Sorry to hear about your situation. I'm pretty much in the same boat so I can fully understand what's going on. Keep the faith, things will turn around then you can give the Burson Buffer a shot, maybe even myself for that matter. It sure has peeked my interest.

Face is getting ready to give the Burson a listen & will follow up with a review.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.

Got my ears on it for a couple hours last night.

The test rig consisted of a pair of Sonist Concerto 3 speakers, Pass F5 power amp, Cambridge 840C, a Goldpoint Stepped attenuator volume control, and a Superphon Rev III preamp.

First I listened to the Goldpoint(passive) volume control by itself, then added the Burson to the chain. The Burson added more slam, bottom end punch and extension, it also gave a larger soundstage, and better timbre in the mid range. Guitars, vocals, they sounded more realistic.

Next up was the Superphon Revelation III. The Superphon, a $2,200 preamp sounded similar to the Burson, probably due to the fact that it is a buffer like the Burson, but with an integrated volume control(DACT attenuator). The Superphon has no gain, but is an active impedance matching , custom discrete class A design. The Burson/Goldpoint added some perceived dynamics, especially bass slam. The Superphon added some more refinement in the cymbals and vocals, depth. Otherwise, on quick listen it was somewhat difficult to tell the two apart. The Burson 160 made a very obvious improvement over the Goldpoint/Rodersteen attenuator alone. Interesting that the Burson added obvious differences and transparency to the Goldpoint, along with drive, dynamics and life. Usually adding more links to the chain can decrease transparency, but the Burson increased transparency.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Hrmmm... interesting. :D

Surprisingly affordable. Are there any competitor's products that claim to do the same thing?
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

The test rig consisted of a pair of Sonist Concerto 3 speakers, Pass F5 power amp, Cambridge 840C, a Goldpoint Stepped attenuator volume control, and a Superphon Rev III preamp.

First I listened to the Goldpoint(passive) volume control by itself, then added the Burson to the chain. The Burson added more slam, bottom end punch and extension, it also gave a larger soundstage, and better timbre in the mid range. Guitars, vocals, they sounded more realistic.

Next up was the Superphon Revelation III. The Superphon, a $2,200 preamp sounded similar to the Burson, probably due to the fact that it is a buffer like the Burson, but with an integrated volume control(DACT attenuator). The Superphon has no gain, but is an active impedance matching , custom discrete class A design. The Burson/Goldpoint added some perceived dynamics, especially bass slam. The Superphon added some more refinement in the cymbals and vocals, depth. Otherwise, on quick listen it was somewhat difficult to tell the two apart. The Burson 160 made a very obvious improvement over the Goldpoint/Rodersteen attenuator alone. Interesting that the Burson added obvious differences and transparency to the Goldpoint, along with drive, dynamics and life. Usually adding more links to the chain can decrease transparency, but the Burson increased transparency.
    I am reading this review by 6moons on the HA160.

If the buffer is as good as you said the HA160 headamp should be promising too

Yes, they make a quality product.

Any further review in the works.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.

Not at this time.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I am ordering one HA160 from Burson but they are out of stock! 3 weeks waiting time...

Thread Information