Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default psw 550 not working

    My psw550 sub has no sound. I have eliminated the signal source as the problem. When I use a test tone from the receiver, I can hear it in the sub, but barely. Something tells me that the amp inside the sub is malfunctioning. Any ideas?? Is this a repairable item or do I need a whole new sub?

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North of New Orleans
    Posts
    3,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dscottjr550 View Post
    My psw550 sub has no sound. I have eliminated the signal source as the problem. When I use a test tone from the receiver, I can hear it in the sub, but barely. Something tells me that the amp inside the sub is malfunctioning. Any ideas?? Is this a repairable item or do I need a whole new sub?
    Welcome to Club Polk. I assume you are referring to the PSW505 sub?
    First question I have is whether this sub was ever working?
    How do you have it connected? The typical connection is via the LFE.
    On your AVR, how do you have the speakers set?
    Ensure that the SW is set to "ON" if you are connected via the receiver LFE output and the SW LFE input.
    Are the speakers set to "small" or "large"?
    When testing your subwoofer, I would suggest that all your speakers be set to "small" with a 80Hz cutoff.
    That ensures that all the low end goes to the LFE output.

    When setting up your subwoofer the first time, switch the power switch to "ON" instead of "Auto" and the volume knob to the 12 o'clock position.
    Last edited by xcapri79; 01-10-2010 at 11:59 AM.

    Main HT/2 ch:
    Pioneer SC-07, BDP-05FD, Emotiva XPA-5 x 2, XPA-1 x 2,
    Polk Audio LSi25, RTi12 x 2, LSi15 x 4, LSiC x 2, PSW1000 x 4,

    MB HT/ 2 ch:
    LG 47LM5800, Pioneer SC-1523, BDP-23FD, Sony BDP-S790, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5,
    Polk Audio LSi25,15, CSi5, LSiFX, PSW505 x 4

    Listening Room 2 ch:
    McIntosh MC162, MC202, C15, C41, C42, MA6500, MA6900, MCD201
    Emotiva RSP-2, RPA-1, ERC-2
    Adcom GCD 750, GFP 750, GFA 5802
    Polk Audio LSi7,9, 15

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default

    The model number on the back says it is a psw-550, not 505. I bought it new back in 2001 and it worked fine for several years, but hasn't worked for the last couple of years. I have tried changing the configuration on the receiver (ie large, small, etc) but it doesn't change anything. I then thought maybe the pre amp output went bad. Just bought a new receiver yesterday, but the sub still won't work. Connected via the LFE.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North of New Orleans
    Posts
    3,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dscottjr550 View Post
    The model number on the back says it is a psw-550, not 505. I bought it new back in 2001 and it worked fine for several years, but hasn't worked for the last couple of years. I have tried changing the configuration on the receiver (ie large, small, etc) but it doesn't change anything. I then thought maybe the pre amp output went bad. Just bought a new receiver yesterday, but the sub still won't work. Connected via the LFE.
    Ok yes that is an older Polk subwoofer and the sub's internal amp may be bad.
    Did you switch to the Line-In input to test?
    I would also suggest trying the speaker inputs to see if you're getting anything.

    Otherwise you can call Polk customer service and they will advise you what to do.

    Main HT/2 ch:
    Pioneer SC-07, BDP-05FD, Emotiva XPA-5 x 2, XPA-1 x 2,
    Polk Audio LSi25, RTi12 x 2, LSi15 x 4, LSiC x 2, PSW1000 x 4,

    MB HT/ 2 ch:
    LG 47LM5800, Pioneer SC-1523, BDP-23FD, Sony BDP-S790, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5,
    Polk Audio LSi25,15, CSi5, LSiFX, PSW505 x 4

    Listening Room 2 ch:
    McIntosh MC162, MC202, C15, C41, C42, MA6500, MA6900, MCD201
    Emotiva RSP-2, RPA-1, ERC-2
    Adcom GCD 750, GFP 750, GFA 5802
    Polk Audio LSi7,9, 15

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I have tried all 3 inputs. The power 'on' light is coming on and the fuse inside seems to be intact, but still no sound. Guess I will have to contact customer service. Do you know if the internal amp is a user-serviceable part that I can replace myself?

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North of New Orleans
    Posts
    3,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dscottjr550 View Post
    I have tried all 3 inputs. The power 'on' light is coming on and the fuse inside seems to be intact, but still no sound. Guess I will have to contact customer service. Do you know if the internal amp is a user-serviceable part that I can replace myself?
    Not unless you are an electronics technician.

    Main HT/2 ch:
    Pioneer SC-07, BDP-05FD, Emotiva XPA-5 x 2, XPA-1 x 2,
    Polk Audio LSi25, RTi12 x 2, LSi15 x 4, LSiC x 2, PSW1000 x 4,

    MB HT/ 2 ch:
    LG 47LM5800, Pioneer SC-1523, BDP-23FD, Sony BDP-S790, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5,
    Polk Audio LSi25,15, CSi5, LSiFX, PSW505 x 4

    Listening Room 2 ch:
    McIntosh MC162, MC202, C15, C41, C42, MA6500, MA6900, MCD201
    Emotiva RSP-2, RPA-1, ERC-2
    Adcom GCD 750, GFP 750, GFA 5802
    Polk Audio LSi7,9, 15

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fairchild AFB WA.
    Posts
    3,630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xcapri79 View Post
    Otherwise you can call Polk customer service and they will advise you what to do.
    +1, Polk CS will take care of you.
    Give them a ring, and they will have you back up and running in no time. Welcome to Club Polk.

    1-800-377-POLK (7655)
    9AM-5:30PM EST Mon-Fri


    -Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3


    2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

    It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4

    Default Need Cheap Help

    No sound out of PSW505. Hooked cd player into back of sub (suggested by Polk Tech Support) and only slight static heard when sub turned to max volume setting. Out of warranty 8 months (bought 05/04/2006) has not worked in 3 or 4 months. I saw other people helped without sending sub in hope someone can help me, work cut hours last year 20%. Back to full time now but catching up. Can I check volts or Ohms to try and determine anything.

    Thanks, Brian

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. rt 15 one not working
    By ctfshjohn in forum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-28-2009, 10:09 PM
  2. r10 not working... help?
    By Mischas in forum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-10-2006, 03:11 PM
  3. Sub not working
    By mjsimp18 in forum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 05:21 PM
  4. OMG! This might actually be working
    By organ in forum 2 Channel Audio
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-15-2003, 08:46 PM
  5. Working on a Tan
    By George Grand in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-04-2003, 04:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts