Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Question Static Electricity

I walked over without spilling my beer and touched my CDP and got zapped. It shocked me and I heard the spark through my speakers. Its awful dry since I have a wood stove burning and I guess I generated a lot of static electricity moving across my carpet. There seems to be no noticeable problems/damage. Can this damage my system and what should I do to correct it?
    I hope I don't have to discharge myself every time I touch something in my system!

Member Sales Rating: (28)

You didn't know? We all shut down our systems for the winter to avoid that. Instead of listening to music, we come here and post nonsense.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Member Sales Rating: (49)

I put a Humidifier in my room.
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Good idea...

I also recall a fairly recent thread that talked about some kind of spray? Or substance that would reduce or resolve 'static' issues?

Does anyone remember that?

cnh

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    You didn't know? We all shut down our systems for the winter to avoid that. Instead of listening to music, we come here and post nonsense.
    Thanks
    I'll go shut it down now and continue to post. Maybe if I pee on the rug it will be just wet enough to cut down on the static electricity

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post
    I put a Humidifier in my room.
    I have a de-humidifier in the summer and I'll be damned if I go and buy a F'ing humidifier for winter! I may set a pot of water on top of the wood stove to get some moisture in the air.

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

You'd be hard pressed to live 'without' a HUMIDIFIER in Beijing...where one wakes up in the morning feeling like his throat and sinuses have been sand-blasted during the night!

I love mine...it's saved me. Of course I have 'no gear' here!

cnh

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    You'd be hard pressed to live 'without' a HUMIDIFIER in Beijing...where one wakes up in the morning feeling like his throat and sinuses have been sand-blasted during the night!

I love mine...it's saved me. Of course I have 'no gear' here!

cnh

That makes no sense. How can you be alive and have no gear?

Quote Originally Posted by NJPOLKER View Post
    That makes no sense. How can you be alive and have no gear?
    You're right...I'll be be with Zombie Boy soon....what I do have is a decent set of headphones and a few dozen lossless CDs on my hard drive! That's it for the year here. Oh and my 15 dollar Hyundai 2.1 computer speaker system...Oh the horror!!!!

cnh

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I actually once static shocked my PC through a PS/2 mouse (a notoriously poorly protected interface, electrically) so badly that it actually shut the PC down. Pretty impressive.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Drew, you can always shuffle your feet along the carpet and touch your wife's earlobe BEFORE touching your rig. Or you can put a pot of water on the stove to help raise the humidity level, either way should work just fine.

BTW, when you raise the humidity in the room, check your windows. If you see condensation forming on them, you have too much humidity, and that's worse than not having enough. Normal range in NJ for indoor humidity in the winter is 25-35% but you may need to lower that % as the outdoor temperature drops.

Jimmy

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Quote Originally Posted by jimmydep View Post
    BTW, when you raise the humidity in the room, check your windows. If you see condensation forming on them, you have too much humidity, and that's worse than not having enough.
    A small line of condensation around the edges of windows is ok. If outside temp is too low, completely eliminating condensation will require lowering humidity to unhealthy levels.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Member Sales Rating: (5)

spend $20 to monitor temp and humidity sensor, electronics do not like low humidity...
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5 - Sub SUB-1200
    2Ch system: MC2105, C-26, AR-XA, MR-80, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300

Member Sales Rating: (3)

BEWARE! I was at a store & shocked a $1700 Cd player the same way-it fried it enough that I had to send it back to the factory! Did something to the board but I have a feeling it wasn't in a good grounded circuit but it makes me very paranoid now! I always keep my humidifier going in winter but I have a whole house unit-they are actually very easy to install & mine works good. Remamber this-MOIST IS GOOD:D

Thread Information