Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (23)

Default Legendary author passes, a great loss

J. D. Salinger, who was thought at one time to be the most important American writer to emerge since World War II but who then turned his back on success and adulation, becoming the Garbo of letters, famous for not wanting to be famous, died Wednesday at his home in Cornish, N.H., where he had lived in seclusion for more than 50 years. He was 91.

Member Sales Rating: (18)

Quote Originally Posted by NotaSuv View Post
    J. D. Salinger, who was thought at one time to be the most important American writer to emerge since World War II but who then turned his back on success and adulation, becoming the Garbo of letters, famous for not wanting to be famous, died Wednesday at his home in Cornish, N.H., where he had lived in seclusion for more than 50 years. He was 91.
    I heard it on the drive home, a true loss!
    HT- HK 335, Rotel 1075, Miova PC, AQ Indigo Speaker Cable, XLO Jumpers, AQ Diamondback ICs, AQ HDMI x2, AQ Component, Signal Cable Analog II ICs, Signal Cable Digcoax, Signal Cable Toslink, Rti8, Csi5, Rti6, Energy s10.2, Panny 42" Plasma, PS3, Harmony 1100 and Harmony PS3 Adapter, LG dvdp(for the kids), Monster 3600MKII all on a dedicated circuit.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

The guy was 91 years old, that's a pretty good run. I think this "huge loss" talk is a bit overstating it.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

The guy seems to have had much in common with Howard Hughes. He was incredibly reclusive... While his passing is sad, he was lost decades ago according to his family. I had to read that book in school, and I remember it to have been well written. To bad more of his works never saw the light of day.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...age-girls.html
    Last edited by nooshinjohn; 01-28-2010 at 06:57 PM.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Spaceman Spiff
    Member Sales Rating: (22)

Never heard of the guy.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron-P View Post
    Never heard of the guy.

Ever hear of The Catcher In The Rye?

Spaceman Spiff
    Member Sales Rating: (22)

Yep, never read it though. I don't like to read, takes too much time and I can't sit still that long.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post

Ever hear of The Catcher In The Rye?
    Yeah, and I thought it was a really stupid book. When they forced us to read it in high school I was wondering who decided that was a 'classic'.

Quote Originally Posted by bobman1235 View Post
    The guy was 91 years old, that's a pretty good run. I think this "huge loss" talk is a bit overstating it.
    Just a tad...

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Never heard of the guy.
    He wrote the one book. He was the basis for the James Earl Jones character in Field of Dreams. (I think)

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Catcher In The Rye was the book that prick who shot John Lennon had on him when arrested.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Eico ST-70 Integrated Tube Amp fully rebuilt and modded
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    DBX 3BX-DS
    DBX 224-DS
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's

Member Sales Rating: (16)

You're all a bunch of phonies. It's a good book for an adolescent and it sure hits home even more today than it did when it was written. Mark David Chapman was a disturbed individual and while "Catcher" supposedly influenced him to shot Lennon it wasn;t the singular factor
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Quote Originally Posted by Fongolio View Post
    Catcher In The Rye was the book that prick who shot John Lennon had on him when arrested.
    That's called karma. Charles Mason's "family" murdered in the name of "Helter Skelter."

Art doesn't kill, it just has the power to focus intense emotion. That's what makes it art.

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    You're all a bunch of phonies.
    Perfect.

It's a good book for an adolescent and it sure hits home even more today than it did when it was written. Mark David Chapman was a disturbed individual and while "Catcher" supposedly influenced him to shot Lennon it wasn;t the singular factor
    +1

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Never heard of the guy.
    Alas, the 'youth'...for whom history exists 'not'! And tradition is meaningless. Salinger's book defined the alienation and the coming of age of an entire generation...it was a watershed work for its time! Art is not defined by 'quantity' but by 'quality'. The fact that J.D. was a recluse is of no significance...many artists find it difficult to live normal lives in society--the demons of biography and creation can strangle even the best of them. Some die early, others enslave themsleves to drugs, alcohol, etc., and some disappear into 'themselves'. The 'sensitivity' that it takes to look into oneself and 'return' is often too great for the individual self. A classic example is Mark Rothko....you can 'see' his demise in the evolution of his painting!

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 01-29-2010 at 01:05 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

You're all a bunch of phonies. It's a good book for an adolescent and it sure hits home even more today than it did when it was written. Mark David Chapman was a disturbed individual and while "Catcher" supposedly influenced him to shot Lennon it wasn;t the singular factor
    +1, Let's not get 'absurd'!

cnh

Not quite sure what the "phonies" thing is about but I was making no comment about the book or how it related to Chapman. I was only stating the fact that he had it on him when arrested. Please don't read any more than what I have stated into my post sir.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Eico ST-70 Integrated Tube Amp fully rebuilt and modded
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    DBX 3BX-DS
    DBX 224-DS
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Fongolio View Post
    Not quite sure what the "phonies" thing is about but I was making no comment about the book or how it related to Chapman. I was only stating the fact that he had it on him when arrested. Please don't read any more than what I have stated into my post sir.
    Guns don't kill Beatles. Paperback writers kill Beatles.

Quote Originally Posted by John30_30 View Post
    Guns don't kill Beatles. Paperback writers kill Beatles.
    I thought it was Maxwell's Silver Hammer.;)
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I don't believe in Beatles.

I just believe in me.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Quote Originally Posted by bobman1235 View Post
    I don't believe in Beatles.

I just believe in me.

All you need is LOVE!

Member Sales Rating: (8)

I've never heard of The Beatles. But I've heard of J.D. Salinger. Now who was this John Lennon bloke? ;)
    [ My Rigs ] Balanced Audio Technology | Revel | Dodd | Monarchy | PS Audio | MIT | Polk | Etc.

I've tried to read "Catcher in the Rye" on several occasions because it is considered a "classic." I never got it and could never get through it. That being said, I'm sure it's a great book that really reached many people. What I don't get is this extreme sadness over his passing. The guy was a talented writer, but he was also a d**k. He treated his fans horribly and his family even worse. He's basically been "dead" since the late 60's, except for his occasional lawsuits. John H. is correct that James Earl Jones' character in field of dreams was based on Salinger. The original book "Shoeless Joe" that the move is based on has Salinger as the character, but when they made the move, Salinger refused to allow his name to be used and threatened lawsuits.

Talented writer, bad human!

Thread Information