Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: SRS update

  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    15

    Default SRS update

    well second day with SRS,the imaging is like nothing that i have hearded,bass is low and tight mids very nice detail, but highs seem tinny. it will take some getting use to,thay are a total differant sound than the klipsch forte 1 that thay replaced.i have yet to really open them up,i fell that i am down on POWER,running them with nad c272 amp & c162 pre at 150w per into 8 ohoms,i really really really wont to open them up & let them breath DEEP, but am apprehensive i dont wont to damage them or the amp.if anyone could let me know what is working for them that would great. thank you,neighbor

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (49)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wyred 4 Sound
    Posts
    11,236

    Default

    budget for an amp?

    My vote to get your feet wet for the money is Adcom. GFA 585/555/5802. If you got the money go tubes.

    Where are the pics?????





    .
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (41)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    8,745

    Default

    I'm off next weekend I'll drop off 450 watts for a demo. Your first upgrade should be tweeters, that'll get rid of the high problem.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (49)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wyred 4 Sound
    Posts
    11,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leroyjr1 View Post
    I'm off next weekend I'll drop off 450 watts for a demo.
    What amp is that?
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (41)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    8,745

    Default

    :)
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post
    What amp is that?


    5802

    450 watts @ 4 ohms.

    You should get you one.:)
    Last edited by leroyjr1; 01-30-2010 at 12:27 PM.

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Neighbor,
    Congratulations on buying your SRS's. I have a pair of SRS's, which I run with Forte Model 3 Amp (200 WPC) and a Forte Model 40 Preamp. I'm very happy with the performance. I recently replaced the original tweeters with the RDO-194 replacements. In my opinion, definately made the highs smoother. I see you also have Klipsch speakers. I also have a pair of Cornwalls, which I also drive with another Forte amp/preamp. I also enjoy this set up alot. I'm a big fan of both Polk and Klipsch speakers. Enjoy your new SRSs

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Six 'Burgh (Pittsburgh), PA
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Congrats on the SRS towers! Very fine speakers, they like lots of power. Use tubes only in your preamplifier. You need lot's of clean, high current power that solid state will give you. I'm partial to Parasound but there are other good amps out there. Some vintage Carver amps will also give you a good bang for the buck.
    Carl

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (12)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    http://audiomilitia.proboards.com
    Posts
    12,762

    Default

    Your first and most important upgrade to these should be getting the RDO-194 Tweeters from Polk. This will help eliminate the "tinny" sound you are experiencing. Most will state it is best to do all at once, but at a cost of 400.00 for all 8, I will only say they are worth it and leave it up to you as to how you decide to do it.

    They are about the best speaker I have ever heard. Congrats!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

    "The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    3 moves from check mating you
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    I also did the 194 upgrade with 4 of them on my SRS2's and I can now listen to Celin Dion with-out the chalkboard cringes. They do need a few hours over a few weeks to burn in but when they do....OH man ..:D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies . I am glad to be a part of a select group that tries to take our auditory and visual senses to a higher level: we EXPERIENCE them.... GOT SDA?...GOT SUNFIRE? ...GOT Maggies?

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    N.FLA
    Posts
    176

    Default

    [QUOTE=TOOLFORLIFEFAN;1261968]budget for an amp?

    My vote to get your feet wet for the money is Adcom. GFA 585/555/5802. If you got the money go tubes.

    What do you think of the GFA-5800?

  11. #11
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    21,321

    Default

    See if you can get a pair of upgraded/updated Adcom 565 mono blocks. Strap the grounds and chasis together and you've got 300 watts of pure high current power.

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (47)

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sufficiently Breathless
    Posts
    11,285
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

  13. #13
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    21,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by george daniel View Post
    That's purty!

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Steubenville,Ohio
    Posts
    297

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by schwarcw View Post
    Congrats on the SRS towers! Very fine speakers, they like lots of power. Use tubes only in your preamplifier. You need lot's of clean, high current power that solid state will give you. I'm partial to Parasound but there are other good amps out there. Some vintage Carver amps will also give you a good bang for the buck.
    Congrats On Getting The SRS's, neighbor. You Must Be Extremely Proud, And Rightfully So Sir.

    I'm With Carl 100% On What He Is Suggesting To You, Especially The Carver Amplifiers.

    Take Care And Happy Listening, neighbor.-------BILL(BB3)
    Sony 52in.XBR6
    Sony 32in.XBR6
    Anthem AVM50V
    Anthem PRE-2L
    Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1
    Carver C-9
    Carver C-19 PreAmp
    Carver C-16 PreAmp
    2-Carver Silver 7-T's
    4-Carver TFM55's
    2-Carver TFM35's
    1-Carver TFM25
    Carver 490T
    Denon DCD1560
    Sony BDP-S350
    Sony PS3
    Nintendo Wii
    Panasonic DMK23DVR

    Speakers :

    PolkAudio SDA-SRS
    PolkAudio SDA-SRS 1.2TL
    PolkAudio SDA-CRS+(Compliments Of Mr. Jim Thomas"jtgranby")
    PolkAudio RTA-15TL
    PolkAudio M3
    3-Velodyne F-1500's

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Livingson, Montana
    Posts
    288

    Default

    1) Rarely is damage done to a speaker with too much power - usually it is done with too little.
    2) I am all for big amps and bi-amping see below.
    3) Remember that it takes a 10 fold increase in power ie 100-1000 watts to double the perceived volume.
    4) The picture of the tube amp in an earlier post which would do a wonderful job is rated at less power that what you are running now.
    5) The big boys are not rated at 8 Ohms so you are most likely getting more power (than the 8 Ohm rating) out of the amp that you have.
    6) Most of the time you are using very little power (10 watts or less to drive your speakers)
    7) Lots of big amps are fun but not necessarilly needed for great sound.
    8) Enjoy

    Good Luck, Phil

    SRS-SDA Front
    2 cs400i Center
    SRS-SDA Rear
    Shure 12in sub
    B&K ref 10 pre-pro upgr to ref 50
    Techniques 1200 TT
    Mac MR71 Tuna
    Lexicon rt-20 uni player
    HK citation pre for TT
    2 PSE Studio Mono Blocks
    4 PSE Studio Stereo Amps
    1 Mac 2100 Amp for sub

  16. #16
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    21,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BB3 View Post
    Congrats On Getting The SRS's, neighbor. You Must Be Extremely Proud, And Rightfully So Sir.

    I'm With Carl 100% On What He Is Suggesting To You, Especially The Carver Amplifiers.

    Take Care And Happy Listening, neighbor.-------BILL(BB3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Dawson View Post
    1) Rarely is damage done to a speaker with too much power - usually it is done with too little.
    2) I am all for big amps and bi-amping see below.
    3) Remember that it takes a 10 fold increase in power ie 100-1000 watts to double the perceived volume.
    4) The picture of the tube amp in an earlier post which would do a wonderful job is rated at less power that what you are running now.
    5) The big boys are not rated at 8 Ohms so you are most likely getting more power (than the 8 Ohm rating) out of the amp that you have.
    6) Most of the time you are using very little power (10 watts or less to drive your speakers)
    7) Lots of big amps are fun but not necessarilly needed for great sound.
    8) Enjoy

    Good Luck, Phil

    SRS-SDA Front
    2 cs400i Center
    SRS-SDA Rear
    Shure 12in sub
    B&K ref 10 pre-pro upgr to ref 50
    Techniques 1200 TT
    Mac MR71 Tuna
    Lexicon rt-20 uni player
    HK citation pre for TT
    2 PSE Studio Mono Blocks
    4 PSE Studio Stereo Amps
    1 Mac 2100 Amp for sub
    Geez, talk about "big boy" addicts. You guys are doing it right!;)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. SRA-SDS update
    By beemer in forum Vintage Speakers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-13-2009, 08:03 PM
  2. Considering an Update
    By MarvC in forum Speakers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-26-2009, 05:47 PM
  3. Need update
    By bigaudiofanatic in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-25-2008, 09:24 PM
  4. PS3 Update
    By MightyHalo in forum Video Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-20-2008, 05:24 PM
  5. Update
    By Strong Bad in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 10:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts