Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Macy's sucks!

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Default Macy's sucks!

My girlfriend-fiancÚ has worked at Macy's for going on 4 years. She started out at 7 bucks an hour and then got transfered to fine jewelry a few months later and got a raise to 8. Then nothing for three years no raise nothing despite being made the unofficial head of the department. And every time she would ask for a raise they would throw her "sales" and "opening credits" in her face and not give her one, like she has any control over that. She trained unreliable incompetent little brats only to find out that these a-holes in management started them out for more than she makes. So then finally she got offered a position in bridal registry for a considerable increase in pay, She was happy so was I and it kind of made up for my pay cut.
    Then two days ago they informed her that they are cutting her position, but just in her store, other Macy's in the area are not cutting that position. I believe that the a-hole manager knew about it when he offer her the position to begin with. Managers usually know about stuff like that three or four months out. And I know Macy's is cutting about 1500 jobs nationwide but why in the hell transfer her to that position first? thats just uncalled for and mean.
    So now she has to maybe transfer to another department for a big cut in pay or leave. My girlfriend is not stupid she has a degree in paralegal and can type faster than I can talk, she is well educated, smart, hell she knows a bunch about audio and loves my 2.3tl's. She has been looking for a better job since I have known her but in this economy she just has had no luck.
    Macy's is one of the worst company's anyone can work for, no insurance unless you pay for it yourself, no retirement no benefits nothing. The stuff they sell is all made in third world sweat shops and is the cheapest over-priced crap you can buy with only a few quality products. They treat they're employees like dirt! What a crappy thing to do to someone who was always on time, a good competent worker who knew where everything was, and got along with everyone. And above all got the job done right!
    I for one have never liked the place and since I met her I despise the whole chain, what a bunch of greedy bastards. How about cutting 25 of these useless overpaid executive's positions instead and keep the workers like her that are the backbone of the company?
    If anyone works there watch out, I believe that they were on Forbes, or some other list, of top 10 company's not to make it through this.
    And if you shop there you are better off going to Wal-Mart or Target, it might be the same stuff but three or four times less. Just another one of these places thats a social status statement, to say "I bought this at Macy's".

end rant

Member Sales Rating: (15)

The recent move back and forth aside, i'm not 100% sure it's legal for the $8/hr manager, 4 years, training new brats that make more money, thing...
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Well they never officially made her the manager, the so-called manager would call her on her days off to find out how something was done all the time, the person that she trained and eventually became her manager.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Retail stinks. Get used to it. Somebody doesn't like you, it's even worse.
    Move on. Read about the Sam's club deal where they outsourced jobs?
    $8-16 an hour guys can can now apply for jobs at the new staging
    and demo company for $7.25. Welcome to the "economic recovery".
    Even big companies are cutting staff, outsourcing, watering down wages
    and cutting benefits. Legal? I don't think anyone cares anymore.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by zarrdoss View Post
    Well they never officially made her the manager, the so-called manager would call her on her days off to find out how something was done all the time, the person that she trained and eventually became her manager.
    Ah. Yep. They got the loophole.

Where are you located, exactly? Commuting distance to Colorado Springs? I think my company has some jobs posted there.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

We are in Loveland. thats like 120-130 miles one way.

Ouch. Bummer.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Sincerest condolences. IF there is a Home Depot near you, I'd have her apply there, even if it's only part time. From what I've seen of the more legitimate retail outfits, I think they take care of people pretty well.
    Good luck.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!

Yeah I know. My brother lives down there and keeps on trying to get me to move. I also know retail sucks as stated by sucks2beme, I could not do it, she hates it as well but all she could find when she got laid off by the law firm she was working for.

Quote Originally Posted by obieone View Post
    Sincerest condolences. IF there is a Home Depot near you, I'd have her apply there, even if it's only part time. From what I've seen of the more legitimate retail outfits, I think they take care of people pretty well.
    Good luck.
    Thank you, She applied yesterday, I do think they take pretty good care of their employees. One of my ex's worked there as a cashier and think they started her out at like 11.50 and she never complained about them.

That blows man. Retail sucks, my girlfriend works for Nordtrom and I don't know how she deals with it. Her manager worked there for 19 years and she was out of work for 2 months because of complications with her pregnancy. She came back to work just before new years. Then they fired her last week.
    Panny 55-st30 plasma
    Pioneer vsx-1121
    Parasound 2100 pre
    b&k tx4430 amp
    Oppo bdp-83
    Monster HTS 3500
    polk TSi500s Vr3 Fortress modded
    polk CS20 center channel Vr3 Castle modded
    polk Owm 3 surrounds
    polk PSW505

Thats sucks, my girlfriend was out of work for over six weeks with that tumor and surgery a while back, and as soon as she came back they offered her this new position. I think they did it knowing it was going to be eliminated and it would get rid of her rather than just firing her outright when she got back and opening the door for bad publicity and possible lawsuit. This way makes them look like good guys with the evil corporate office pulling the strings.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

If you're looking for more hourly rate, she needs to get another job. She needs to get what she's worth when she start another job.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

if we can swing it were going to tell them to take the job and stick it. Then she can collect unemployment and dedicate all her efforts to finding a better job. We both have a suspicion thats going to happen anyway.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Kevin I hope you guys are keeping your spirits high. I won't get in it to much here as I know we will talk Monday.

Peace.
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Member Sales Rating: (5)

I guess it depends on the store. I know someone who is at a new Macy's where the management works hard to boost morale. They throw parties and do little dances and pep rallies before the morning start. I've been to one of the parties and was pretty impress which says a lot since I'm quite cynical about retail. So far the employee reviews and pay have been honest and straight forward.

My cynical side says this is probably an anomaly.

No, I do not work for Macy's and I rarely shop there. Prefer shopping at Dillards.

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post
    Kevin I hope you guys are keeping your spirits high. I won't get in it to much here as I know we will talk Monday.

Peace.
    Thanks man! now I am going to go drink a sh*t-load of beer and forget...... for now anyway.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Some of the Managers dont care about their employees
    they dont realise the circle comes around and will affect
    them also... best wishes to you both am sure
    everything will end in a better new beginning.

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Not to defend Macys but they've been in a financial mess for 'years' and years and years...any job in retail at this point is in jeopardy...look at the recent job-losses at Walmart...if Walmart is downsizing G_d help America.

I have no doubt that you girlfriend was screwed over....almost EVERY story I hear about Retail ends badly! Sales, profits, etc. When times are good...OK and when they're bad--hey they really sxck!!

I hear you!

cnh

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I worked in retail for a little while in both small and big business. Management could care less about their employees no matter how hard you worked in my experience. Been in the trench having to pull the extra for some PoS dead weights without compensation or even a simple thanks. It sucks eggs. Been awhile and I'm retired now, but I can imagine the BS that probably goes down nowadays in this economy. I feel for y'all zardoss and wish your girl the best of luck getting into a better position.

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

That sucks Kevin. I hope and pray for better times for you and your girl.

That does suck, I know the "welcome to retail" response sucks too but hey,one window closes and another will open. Think positive and tell her to go after something she may enjoy more.

You could always move to Hawaii. Keiko is looking for an assistant with some skill useing a flame thrower and harpoon gun to keep up with his bug problem.:D
    Last edited by tonyb; 01-31-2010 at 09:03 AM.

Thanks all, she is not getting the possible shoe till march 6th or so. We will just have to see how this plays out over that time.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Hell this is the best month we have had in 6 months or better and it's going to take all of us to keep it that way for a few.
    Utilizing the bodys we have befor adding any new positions. It's tough everywhere and I feel great about what's happing at the shop right now. It all falls on my sholders from time to time to push it through, and I know you see that. Let's just keep it going strong and make it work brother.

And let's think positive about your girls situation.
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Doesn't surprise me much about Macy's in No Col. I went to Fort Collins Macy's a few weeks ago with about $200 of Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket. No one said "hi", "do you need any help", "get the ef out of my store butthead". So I looked around to see if there were any deals I could not live without and left.

Hope she has good luck finding work. I spent 10 months last year looking in the area. It's not pretty.

Best of luck.

You're going to get this in any retail environment.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    You could always move to Hawaii. Keiko is looking for an assistant with some skill useing a flame thrower and harpoon gun to keep up with his bug problem.:D
    I'm going chemical, biological and nuclear, Tony. Flame throwers and harpoons are so 20th century.

Thread Information