Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Help with SDA interconnect between speakers!!!

I just recieved the interconnect cable that goes between my left and right SDA 2 speakers. I have a yamaha rxv 800 reciever driving those sda's for my mains, rt 5's for surrounds, cs 400 for center, and psw 450 for my sub. When I tried to watch a dvd, and I had the interconnect hooked up...my reciever's protection circuit activated and shut off. When I unhooked the interconnect between my sda's...it works fine. What is wrong here? my reciever is set on 8 ohms now...should I change it to 4 ohms? Do I really need the interconnect cable between my sda's? Please...somebody help me!!!

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

Mossy

Join the club there buddy........... I got the same damn problem. Ive been told its a grounding issue. Either with the AMP or the cable itself. Either way, Im too stupid to correct it and to broke too broke to buy the solution.

Old School
    Member Sales Rating: (1)

Mossy,
    The issue is your amp is not a common ground design. There is a different interconnect you can make that will allow your Yammie to power your 2's.
    Just reply to the e-mail I just sent you and I'll attach a pdf file I got from F1 and send it to you.
    I think F1 got the file from Polk.

ATC,
    Is the interconnect you need to build that expensive? I haven't looked into it as yet because I won't need it unless I decide to run my SRS's with bridged mono amps... and that won't happen in the near future.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
    "Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

Rebuilding Maggie 2-ch & Amazing 2-ch... Building 2-ch "wall"... Figuring out the HT

you mean my yamaha rxv-800 is not a common ground design? I thought that almost every reciever out there today was common ground? I guess I still have a lot to learn about this hobby.

Maybe I didn't make myself too clear...I don't have separates. I just have the 5.1 surround reciever.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Mossy,

Where did you get the cable from?

Yes, the SDA's will sound much better with the cable than without.

I did a search and see that in Jan. you were asking the same question. It was suggested that you contact Ken Swaugger at Polk to discuss your problem. Have you not done that? I'm not familiar with that Yammie, but it could be that it's not a common-ground reciever and you would need the AI-1 interconnect or s**t can the Yammie and move up the ladder.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Stronzo

Tour,

I remember you mentioning something about attaching the .pdf. I never saw it in the message? Was wondering what happened!

Mossey,

I can only figure that it is a common grounding issue. So far, Ive had this problem on my Rotel and the Harman Kardon. The Sansui is grounded, but its currently not operational. Im kicking the dirt with this one.

F1,

I plugged in the cable before and I didnt notice anything special. A refinement in the sound (best described as "clearing it up"), and nothing more. In fact, Im not even sure I liked the change.

I don't know guys, something funny going on here.

ATC, have you talked about this with Ken Swaugger?

All I can say is once you've experienced the sound of "True Stereo"(SDA's), there is no going back.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

ATC,

Send me your addy, HERE and I'll send you the .pdf.

Old School
    Member Sales Rating: (1)

Got 'em covered F1...

Mossy and ATC... y'all got mail.

ATC, don't know what happened the first go 'round. Couldn't be that I forgot to attach the attachment
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
    "Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

Rebuilding Maggie 2-ch & Amazing 2-ch... Building 2-ch "wall"... Figuring out the HT

Thanks Tour, you the man!

Stronzo

Tour,

I recieved the E-mail, and the file was attached this time. Thanks again bud! I will take a look at the document and see what needs to be done.

I am under the impression that Mossey, like myself, is not the original owner of the SDA's. I could of course, very well be wrong in that assumption.

F1,

The SDA2B's I am accustom to, sport a very unique sound. Not common in contemporary speakers we hear today. Their sound is an acquired taste. The SDA's are fun to toy around with, have the looks of a muscle car, with the power to boot. Out of all the gear I have heard thus far, the SDA's sport detail and imaging that are second to none. However, their lack of finese and versitilty scratches them from my list of "choice" speakers.

However, when accompanied side by side with speakers like the LSi, or moreover, the RT600i, a whole new life and sound emerges. The detail only strengthens, the force becomes more physical. It is like a "wall of sound", a beautiful, wall of sound.

In fact, I've never once heard rock(old and new), or hip hop sound this good.......ever. This cheap rotel/sda/rti/mintek combination puts to shame the 10k-30k rigs I have heard.

Who knows, maybe I will hold on to both of these speakers just a little longer.... :)

Thread Information