Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Question Higher Gauge, lower volume ?

I just upgraded to 12 Gauge speaker wire from 16. Every since then I feel the volume isn't as loud as it was, i rechecked the connections and everything's tight. Just wondering if this is even possible or it's all in my mind.
    TV- Samsung 24" LCD T240HD
    5.1 Receiver - Harman/Kardon AVR 247
    Stereo Receiver - Harman/Kardon 3390
    Front - Monitor 60
    Center - Cs10
    Surround - Tsi100
    Sub - SVS PB10-NSD :D
    Playstation 3

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Hmmmm, that's unlikely. Have you verified that all drivers are working in all speakers?
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

Member Sales Rating: (12)

You may actually be hearing an improvement in the sound quality... but seeing as though wires don't matter, ;)...

Congrats on the upgrade!
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

Ya all the drivers are working, I just felt during movies and music i feel i'm lacking the power i had, sound quality doesn't seem to have changed. Probably in my head then.
    Front - Monitor 60
    Center - Cs10
    Surround - Tsi100
    Playstation 3

Well, that's a little odd to me that you would mention a decrease in volume. When I was in your shoes, I noticed a slightly [and I do mean slightly] better top end and bass that was a little more authoritative and the presence of bass/mid-bass was improved. Bass was also tightened up a bit.

The last thing I would expect you to observe would be a decrease in volume.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

Ya that's what i was thinking, could it be the quality of the wire ? Metra electronics Raptor speaker wire, pretty cheap price wise but the quality seems pretty good and the reviews on amazon were great.
    Front - Monitor 60
    Center - Cs10
    Surround - Tsi100
    Playstation 3

Member Sales Rating: (10)

A change in sound characteristics might be what you're experiencing, and that might sound like a change in volume. A less bright sound could be thought of as less "loud" and harsh, for example. But otherwise, no, I've not noticed a change in volume with a change in cables. On the other hand, I don't really pay attention to dial position or volume level that much -- I just turn it up to where it sounds right.
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH

If it doesn't sound loud but the volume is up relatively loud can I be hurting the speaker, or any other component ?
    Front - Monitor 60
    Center - Cs10
    Surround - Tsi100
    Playstation 3

Without being there and actually hearing it? I couldn't tell you.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

no... you may actually be doing a good thing for them. Check all your connections to make absolutely certain that all is well and enjoy for a while. It can take some time for things to "burn in" but once they do and you get used to the sound you may like the differences, or not. If you don't then you can try something else, but if it sounds right to you then so much the better.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

Well for people with H/K receivers it's at -20db which is pretty high up but it just doesn't sound loud.
    Front - Monitor 60
    Center - Cs10
    Surround - Tsi100
    Playstation 3

Quote Originally Posted by Dan2036 View Post
    If it doesn't sound loud but the volume is up relatively loud can I be hurting the speaker, or any other component ?
    So long as you are not cranking the volume to where you hear unnatural artifacts or distortion? No.

Try your old wire again...see if you get the same results.
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote

Ah, good suggestion.

I will try Midnite Mick's suggestion, however there is no distortion or any unnatural artifacts.
    Last edited by Dan2036; 02-04-2010 at 09:35 PM.
    Front - Monitor 60
    Center - Cs10
    Surround - Tsi100
    Playstation 3

Did you accidently wire some speakers out of phase; +/- reversed at one end.

Just rechecked no wires are all going where they need to go
    Front - Monitor 60
    Center - Cs10
    Surround - Tsi100
    Playstation 3

Member Sales Rating: (10)

I'd try to swap out your old wire on one speaker and see if it gets louder.
    Living Room Rig:D
    Rotel RSP-1069/Rotel RMB-1095/Rotel-1072/Polk lsI15's W/modded xoverW/DBsubs/Polk LsiC/lsI7's/Klipsch sub-12"the weak link"/DLP Mitsubishi 65"
    Xbox360/PS3/WII
    M.Br. setup:)
    Emotiva MMC-1/Rotel RMB-1075/Polk BlackStone TL350's/Velodyne SPL1000/Samsung 51" Plasma
    Computer Rig:
    Rotel RB1050/Tannoy DC4's/Klipsch RW-10d/ImodIpod/HK AVR230 for now....
    Headphones-Ultrasone-HFI780's w/LittleDot MK Vamp Portables Panasonic HJE-900's

I just upgraded to 12 Gauge speaker wire from 16. Every since then I feel the volume isn't as loud as it was, i rechecked the connections and everything's tight. Just wondering if this is even possible or it's all in my mind.
    With higher gage cabling it sounds quieter for 2 reasons.
    1.) You are having a more balance sound so the highs are seeming less forward. The psycho-acoustic effect is it that it doesn't sound as loud.
    2.) The lows are able to draw more current, because of the heavier gage wire (instead of being choked w/ thin wire) and taxing your amps PS further.

I've noticed the same 'quieter' volume - but it seems to depends on the sound mode I'm running.

well - I personally don't believe a $100 cable and a $6000 dollar cable makes a difference of $5900 - but I can notice the difference between my old HTIB speaker cables, and my old set of monster cables.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by xrapidx View Post
    well - I personally don't believe a $100 cable and a $6000 dollar cable makes a difference of $5900 - but I can notice the difference between my old HTIB speaker cables, and my old set of monster cables.
    Ever tried $6K speaker cables?
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    he he...:) I knew that was coming.:D
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I would suggest
    to use a couple of different test samples.
    perhaps
    Using a tone generator and a sound pressure meter

for example using the definition of "volume" to be equal to SPL as measured in DB.
    getting measurements from the 16 vs 12 guage.
    also what is the distance or length or wire that is being used ?
    what connectors are used ?
    etc....

Member Sales Rating: (18)

Well for people with H/K receivers it's at -20db which is pretty high up but it just doesn't sound loud.
    Yeah that's very loud!!
    HT- HK 335, Rotel 1075, Miova PC, AQ Indigo speaker cable, XLO jumpers, AQ Diamondback Ics, AQ HDMI x2, AQ component, Signal cable analog II Ics, Signal cable digcoax, Signal cable Toslink, Rti8, Csi5, Rti6, Energy s10.2, Panny 42" Plasma, PS3, Harmony 1100 (on the way, thanks Sal) and Harmony PS3 Adapter(picking it up tonight) LG dvdp(for the kids) , Monster 3600MKII all on a dedicated circuit.

Banned

You might be realizing a taming of the highs i.e. less brightness.

LOL @ Jesse!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Well I can say from recent experience that with changing to Monitor 10's, using a HK AVR as a pre, using my Integra again after several years. I noticed what I thought was a decrease in volume/power. But after many more hours of listening, I am chalking it up to the ****ty wore out speakers that I had before. That were way too bright in the upper end, and required way to much power outta my sub to even things out...to my ears anyways.

Now I find I am continuing to turn down my subs volume and crossover, (wish it was remote controlled!) turning tone controls on AVR to flat, was bypassing EQ but have since disconnected it.

So now....seems like things are playing at a lower volume. But its really a more even keal across the whole stage. I enjoy the sound more. Everything seems smoother. And even my wife says it sounds better. So with that I know I am headed it the right direction! :D But is anything, I think I am still using the same power. Probably even more. I just think its being put to a better more efficient use now. If that make any sense. lol
    Last edited by halo71; 02-18-2010 at 03:08 PM.
    --Gary--

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Fair enough :) (no)

But I have tried $100 and $500 dollar cables, and can't notice the difference, but then again - I'm still new at this.

P.S. Feel free to send me $6k speaker cables to test if I can hear the difference :D

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xrapidx View Post
    Fair enough :) (no)

But I have tried $100 and $500 dollar cables, and can't notice the difference, but then again - I'm still new at this.

P.S. Feel free to send me $6k speaker cables to test if I can hear the difference :D
    Not casting aspersions but I find this hard to believe but then again we have a resident cable naysayer who says he has tried different levels of cables and heard no difference.

Which $500 cables have you tried? What cables did you put them against and what gear did you use to make the comparison?

Not busting your balls, just curious.:)

LOL! @ your P.S., I would love to have someone provide me with a $6k speaker cable to try out in my rig . . . don't we all!:D

Recently actually - My current cables are around $100 for 2.5m - a friend loaned me his $500-odd (for 2m) cables before I found what I'd done with mine, (they'd been moved by the maid). I only know the price of his because he told me not to stuff them up :p

So - it was on my current setup of RTi A9's and Onkyo TX-NR807.

Mine are a set of Monster speaker cables I bought about a year ago - I'll have to check which ones.

His were Atas (or something like that).

Remember - I'm new at this - so might not know what to listen for.

Thread Information