Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Default Crown vs. Crest Audio vs. QSC Amps?

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good reliable amp from the following: Crest Audio CA series, QSC RMX series, and Crown XS/XTi amplifiers? Will be powering 15" Ramsa PA cabinets or passive JBL's for PA use.

This will be a custom install for videos / PowerPoint / multimedia presentations, with 3500 lumen digital projector and seating for approximately 50 people.

Thanks!
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

I don't have much experience with the others, but I did just intall a Crown XLS 802. Very nice amp for the $$
    Living Room:.................... Zone 2 (Workout Room):
    AVR - Yamaha RX-V757......JBL 4312 Pro Monitors
    Pre - Nak CA-5
    AMP - Adcom 555 (Main)
    Main - Polk RTI8**/RTiA5
    AMP - Adcom 545II (Center)
    Center - Polk CSiA4**
    Sub - Snell Basis 300:p......Zone 3 (Outside)
    CD - Yamaha CDC-555.......Def Tech AW5500
    TV - Pani TH-42PZ80U
    BR - LG BD390
    Monster HTS1600 Power Center
    Dedicated Circuit - (2) 20amp, (1) 15amp
    Ben's IC, Canare 4S11

**Dayton and Sonicap Caps with Mills Resistors**

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

I am partial to Crown but have installed Crest and QSC. None of them are slouch but the XTi has one really nice feature: An integrated DSP.

The DSP alleviates the need for external EQ, Limiters, Cross Overs. It's a very intelligent Amp

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I do DJ on the side. For what you are trying to do, why don't you just go with Powered speakers. JBL QSC, EV, and RCF all make some fantastic light weight PA speakers that are powered.

I have a few rigs. My fave 2 right now ( without subs) are the RCF 322A. Sweet sounding w a 12 " woofer that sounds much bigger then it is. Highs are not harsh when pushed... 128 db out long term at 48 lbs each cab. that is POWERED!!!

The EV ZX5a The bass out of the Zx5A on a 50 lb speaker that is powered is just amazing! 132 DB out but $$$$..

JBL has some now Eon's out that are decent for 1/2 the $ I mentioned out of the other 2 here.

For 50 - 100people, the JBL eon would be a solid choice, less setup time and stuff to carry around. Besides if one speaker goes, you still can run it on the other one. If your amp goes,,, you are out of luck unless you have a back up amp.

If i was going to keep passive like you are showing here, QSC would be my choice right now.

If you have a rental shop near by, you might be able to pick up some used powered Yorkville's for a good price also.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good reliable amp from the following: Crest Audio CA series, QSC RMX series, and Crown XS/XTi amplifiers? Will be powering 15" Ramsa PA cabinets or passive JBL's for PA use.

This will be a custom install for videos / PowerPoint / multimedia presentations, with 3500 lumen digital projector and seating for approximately 50 people.

Thanks!
    Either would be a fine amp for your purpose. I've used Crown more than any other brand but that was merely because a good friend carries them at his shop. Crest and QSC build an excellent product as well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by erniejade View Post

For 50 - 100people, the JBL eon would be a solid choice, less setup time and stuff to carry around. Besides if one speaker goes, you still can run it on the other one. If your amp goes,,, you are out of luck unless you have a back up amp.

If i was going to keep passive like you are showing here, QSC would be my choice right now.
    From how I read it the OP may have a permanent space in mind. It sounds like a permanent installation like a corporate campus.

Even for a perm. install, unless you have a back up amp if the amp goes down, you are kind of out of luck. When you have powered speakers, if one goes down, the other still can provide sound. It would be rare that both go down.
    When i think of an install, perm or temp, I always try to think what if or redundancy if something were to go wrong.

Banned

Even for a perm. install, unless you have a back up amp if the amp goes down, you are kind of out of luck. When you have powered speakers, if one goes down, the other still can provide sound. It would be rare that both go down.
    When i think of an install, perm or temp, I always try to think what if or redundancy if something were to go wrong.
    While I understand your considerations, we normally put in passive's and separate amplification. It just depends on the priorities of the OP. The reason for passive with a separate equipment stack is you can do most of your field service at the rack. You also have more reconfiguration options. I have been in venues where one of two monitors working is NOT an option.

This is a custom install so I want to use passive cabinets and a power amp. It's not a DJ rig where two JBL EON's or Mackie SRM450's will suffice.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

The Crown XTI had issues early on in production but supposedly they have them fixed. Some of my friends who did run them ran into distortion, left or right side woudl just cut out for no reason then come back on. It was enough for them to change over to QSC or Yorkville amps.

For Crown I still LOVE the Macro Tech's. Great solid amp.

Member Sales Rating: (26)

PM Trey [Sid the kid], he sells this stuff and probably knows more than most on the board.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

BTW the Mackie 450 After then got bought out by Loud Tech.. Terrible stuff. Even for portable use.

Banned

The Crown XTI had issues early on in production but supposedly they have them fixed. Some of my friends who did run them ran into distortion, left or right side woudl just cut out for no reason then come back on. It was enough for them to change over to QSC or Yorkville amps.

For Crown I still LOVE the Macro Tech's. Great solid amp.
    Those were the first run models. Been a while since the XTi exhibited that problem. Knock on wood we never experienced that.

Crown as a company while still making a lot of killer products doesn't have the same spirit of yesteryear. But that can be said of a lot of companies now a days.

When they where taken over by the Harman Group there were considerations to be made because of the higher end Lexicon/Mark Levinson brands under the same umbrella were going to compete with some of the product Crown had geared for the home.

It looks like the Crest Audio CA series will be my best bet.

Banned

Still say you should use the XTi...

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I will second the XTi series as well. I have used Crown and QSC and have found QSC to be more reliable in the long run. Plus the added DSP opens up space in the rack for other items.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Smith View Post
    WOW!

That's like working your way through Katie Perry in order to get to Rosie O'Donnell.

Thread Information