I have 4 sbd sources, 2 aud sources and close to 9 versions of 5/8/77. It was actually a quest of mine back in the day to get every good source of Cornell ever put in to circulation. In my opinion...there only two non 5.1 board sources to get. #1 for a great Matrix which is a 2009 clean-up/re-master of Rob Eaton's DBX decoding from 1999. And #2 for the classic Betty Board most of us heard for the first time many moons ago...with great Aud patches for the missing SBD segments.
1. gd77-05-08.mtx.seamons.97274.sbeok.flac16 Seamons (MTX)
2. gd77-05-08.sbd.hicks.4982.sbeok.shnf (Hicks Fix SBD)
From Dick Latvala (circ. 1999)
ABOUT 20 SHOWS THAT WOULD BE BETTER RELEASES THAN 5/8/77, FROM THE YEAR OF 1977.
1) 2/26 & 2/27- The first 2 shows of the year, and together would make
a much better and way more fulfilling listening experience than
2)3/18->20/77- Winterland (although none stands alone completely,
together a 3-4 cd release seems an obvious choice.)
3) I have to pass on the Palladium, NYC shows, since I have never heard
them. They need to be baked and dbx decoded and we haven't got to a
whole slew of tapes in similar condition.
4) Both the night before and the night after (5/7 & 5/9) would be more
pleasing as releases.
5) I haven't heard the Chicago shows, but I have heard from friends
that something happened at one of them anyway.
6) The shows on 5/15, 5/17, 5/18 and 5/21 are each deserving notation,
and although they don't match up with 5/22, they are each more
satisfying than 5/8.
7) From what I hear from others (and what I saw myself, i.e., 5/2,
the final 3 shows from this amazing month of performances are each
worthy of many listenings.
8) Unfortunately, the 6/4 show in Los Angeles is missing from the
vault and from anyone's tape collection, as far as I know. Otherwise I
would toss this one in the pile of special shows.
9) The run of 3 at Winterland on 6/7->9, has some exceptional playing,
but not within a single night, so this should probably be a
compilation of the 3 shows, with most of the emphasis on the first 2
10) Englishtown (9/3) needs no mention!
11) October is another of those months where there seems to be a
disproportionate number of excellent performances. The downside is
that the quality of the recordings leaves something to be desired. In
the first tour during this month, the standouts are 10/11, 10/12,
10/14 and 10/16. I think all three at the end of the month are
qualifiers (10/28, 10/29 and 10/30).
12) Each of the next 5 nights rips Ithaca. But the 11/4->6 shows are
difficult to choose between. If I had to pick one of the three, I
would have to go with 11/6, although Rob Bertrando's choice of 11/4 is
pretty hard to pass up.
13) I think that many have overlooked the last 2 shows of the year,
since 12/29 was so startling. Neither approaches the completeness of
12/29, but I remember some fine playing during the 2nd set jams from
So maybe this doesn't total 20 shows, but it gives a pretty clear idea
of where I place 5/8/77 amongst the meat from this year. I don't feel
it's necessary to point out what is specifically lacking on the 5/8
show, since this would only further distance it from the shows listed