Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (25)

Did I miss the answer to the question about having a Polkie do the mods for those of us who can't even use a glue gun?
    Computer room

Rega RP1 w/Performance Pack
    Vienna Acoustics Bach Classic
    Magnavox CDB650 transport
    Modded MSB DAC
    Pioneer F-91 Tuner
    Lounge Audio MM phono preamp w/LCR RIAA Correction
    Jolida JD1501 Integrated Amp

H/T

Samsung Plasma
    Outlaw 950 pre/pro
    Tannoy Saturn 8's
    Hsu sub
    Emotiva UPA-500 5-channel amp
    Adcom GCD-600
    Philips Turntable
    Battery powered phono pre

Garage

Jennings Research Square
    Custom tube preamp
    Yamaha M-65
    Philips 935
    Modded MSB Link DAC

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default old style burson regulators

partsconnexion is selling the old Burson regulators at $20/$25.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/regulator_burson.html

hey guys, i decided to use the turkey weekend to install the Burson Regulators. That's all done, but I'm having issues getting any readings on my volt meter (and this is not my first time to the rodeo).

First, concerning resistor and capacitor removal...
    U100: removed R110, bridged R111, bridged C122
    U104: removed R112, bridged r113, bridged C123

U100 was replaced with the 78XX. This needed to be re-pinned so that ground went to pin 1 (black cable) white +out to pin 2, and red +in to pin 3.

U104 was replaced with the 79XX and the pinout was the same from stock 1-red-ground 2-in-black, 3-out-white

For testing, I've got the two circuit boards in a plastic tray so they don't short to each other or to the case. I didn't see any reasons in the documentation why they might need to be directly tied to ground. I figure I'll employ some velcro or something similar for the final mounting, there's plenty of room for them between the PSU board and the DAC board.

I've plugged it into the wall and powered it on (btw, the series 2 regs have those annoying blue LEDs that everything 'techy' seems to require these days).

Using my trusty radioshack digital meter, I'm not getting anything for voltages on J101 pin 7 or 8 when connected to ground. I'm using the green cable screw point as my ground (ground from power plug). pins 7 and 8 on J101 are the + and - 15v pins that connect to the main DAC board. I've played a bit with the pots (turned each one a half-turn) but I've not gotten any difference in voltages.

Is there a better place to try and use for ground or a better place to find the correct output voltages? Seems like diode cr101 and cr109 might give me correct voltages on one side or the other, but I'm only getting miniscule microvolt differences on testing those.

perplexed.

Try using the jumper at R111 or R113 as your ground probe point.

Quote Originally Posted by FTGV View Post
    Try using the jumper at R111 or R113 as your ground probe point.
    ah ha! yes r111 is giving me magical volts! looking at the schematic i see why. going to play with the pots and report back.

Thanks again FTGV!

edit: I'm reading +15.00v on pin7 and -15.00v on pin 8 using R111 and R113 as my ground. Those pots required a large number of turns from 11-ish volts to 15v. Case Re-Assembly commencing.
    Last edited by annihilatorg; 11-25-2011 at 04:09 PM.

Your welcome.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by george daniel View Post
    Okay-- components removed and jumpers in place.Since the regulators will not fit side by side unless I bend the pins,,I'll need some help here

Is this the correct position for the lm 337 in the U 104 slot?(the one on the right.)?
    Yes, back to this. FYI I reloaded all my pics so they show up again in this thread. I had inadvertently moved them to another folder in my Photobucket account. I restored them to the original location so the links are working again.

A local Polkie Agfrost (Jay) is getting ready to mod his, and I need to get the regulators installed so I bumped this thread ttt.

George I have a question about photo number 4 aboove. Are the regulators mounted in this photo? Because it looks like they are in the resistor positions. Probably an optical illusion but they look out of place.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Way kewl! I love the DIY challenge of will it work better, or at all, when I am done.

I got my second shunt PS done for my next project so there is more space available on the bench.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KSL Class A Pre w/ KSL Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    Dynavector 17D3
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Yes, back to this. FYI I reloaded all my pics so they show up again in this thread. I had inadvertently moved them to another folder in my Photobucket account. I restored them to the original location so the links are working again.

A local Polkie Agfrost (Jay) is getting ready to mod his, and I need to get the regulators installed so I bumped this thread ttt.

George I have a question about photo number 4 aboove. Are the regulators mounted in this photo? Because it looks like they are in the resistor positions. Probably an optical illusion but they look out of place.

H9
    Brock,, if we are talking about the same pic,,they are not mounted,,IIRC one went in U-104(right side) and the other in U-100,,,it's been playing for for about 20 months now.I hope this helps.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Thanks for fixing up your pix, Brock. I was rereading this thread last night and was wondering if you'd yet gotten around to installing the regulators. One of the two needed is now sold out at Parts Connexion, so if I wanted to replace those, I'd have to "get out of the boat" (sorry, George!). Perhaps the newer models might work, but that can wait.

Rich, I'd consider signing a lease if you throw out a "For Rent" sign on that benchspace.

Quote Originally Posted by agfrost View Post
    . One of the two needed is now sold out at Parts Connexion, so if I wanted to replace those, I'd have to "get out of the boat" (sorry, George!). Perhaps the newer models might work, but that can wait.
    Yes the Burson series two will work(see post#424,425) but will need an alternative way for mounting the PC board since they don't mount like standard 3 pin regs. Another option would be from Belleson that Rich used in his MH.They will fit in the old reg's position.

Rich, I'd consider signing a lease if you throw out a "For Rent" sign on that benchspace.
    Mod Space Available! Sign up now! We got FM down there, or cassettes with a pair of Polk 7A's with Peerless. No slumming while working, at all. (Blake has the TT. It was too much of a distraction down there).

Another option would be from Belleson that Rich used in his MH.They will fit in the old reg's position.
    Good suggestion Fred. Of course the all time good deal ain't there like with the close out Bursons. I've got some small sinks if Jay goes that route. Shouldn't be much mA draw/heat with the chip op amps. What, a few mA?

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Sennheiser HD650
    Dynavector 17D3
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
    Of course the all time good deal ain't there like with the close out Bursons.
    Yeah that deal made it a much more attractive proposition.
    Shouldn't be much mA draw/heat with the chip op amps. What, a few mA?
    Probably only in the 50-60ma range.

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Okay-- I promised Mike that we would get his done---let the fun begin.
    Yes-Mike it arrived safely--here we go,,stock pics first.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mike's Adcom 004.jpg‎
Views:	61
Size:	559.3 KB
ID:	69956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mike's Adcom 003.jpg‎
Views:	68
Size:	556.0 KB
ID:	69955  
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Member Sales Rating: (8)

my sweet little dac! they grow up so fast, then we send them away! ha! thanks good dr. george! good idea with the pics! i've been looking forward to this for a long time!

mike

Quote Originally Posted by sda2mike View Post
    my sweet little dac! they grow up so fast, then we send them away!
    No worries the little fella is in good hands .Uncle G will feed him a good diet of solder and have his analog stage all blinged out before sending him home.

I think I'll have one here next week to send you George.

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Sennheiser HD650
    Dynavector 17D3
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
    I think I'll have one here next week to send you George.
    Dipping our toes into the old school R2R DAC waters are we Rich?l

Dipping our toes into the old school R2R DAC waters are we Rich?l
    Jay has one (agfrost). He is suppose to bring it over after school and get some experience.

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Sennheiser HD650
    Dynavector 17D3
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Have you ever been experienced? :afro:

Hello to others who have done this mod. I've been listening to my modded DAC for, I dunno, 500 hours since I did the mod with the voltage regulators. And yes, it still sounds awesome.

But, has anyone gone back and re-checked their Burson regulators for voltage changes after extended periods / burn-in? I've not had a chance to pop the case back open again, but am thinking about looking at it this weekend. Might be paranoid, but I always think something might be wrong when it has been modded. I'm not hearing anything noticeable, just wondering.

ps and only slightly unrelated - for computer audio sources, get a linear supply if you can. It makes insane differences in analog, and I'm going to wire up my PC that's hooked up to the adcom this weekend to one as well. Not sold on it making a difference in digital transmission, but it's something to check. I got two acopian VA12H1300 supplies from ebay for a steal and have one hooked to my headphone system.

well the good doctor george told me, my dac is on it's way back to me!!! george didn't just take a handful of parts and slap em in there..nope, he tried different combos of parts...burned them in...listened...tore some out...listened some more...until he was satisfied with the results! i can't wait to hear it this weekend! george is what this club is all about! stand up guy helping others...just for the fun of it!

thanks george
    mike

Do tell us George D, which parts did you swap in and out and what were your impressions.

Mike, If George did the work you know it's done correctly.

Details people................we need details!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

i think after several different combos of brands, george settled on sonicaps...with the recommended brown dogs...count on me posting my impressions..;)

The only two brands I ever found that supply the exact value caps around the dac chips are Sonicap and Multi-cap the values are odd at .022uF; .0039uF and .0027uF. The PS can use a few different brands, that's why I need details.

I chose the Multi-caps because they were less expensive and seemed to get really good reviews.

H9

i'm sure when george signs on again, he'll update you

BTW george this is a thanks from one of my gpod friends, i sent this thread to owr tech amd je did theod on his 600 and they were bpth gobsmacked by the improvement. Enough so that my teck bought a 600 to do for himself. And the parts are in fory 700, cant wait to get it in to be done. So thanks from both pf them!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a
    McIntosh MC 2120 bi-amped
    Into JBL L123 drivers
    Rane external crossover.
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    ADCOM GDA 700 DAC ( MODDED)
    YAMMY CDC-665
    Marantz 6100 tt w/pickering XV-15/625E cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    POLK RTA-12C'S W/ RDO194 TWEETS, clarity ESA caps mills risistors (full mod)
    MIT exps2 speaker cable

Quote Originally Posted by soundfreak1 View Post
    BTW george this is a thanks from one of my gpod friends, i sent this thread to owr tech amd je did theod on his 600 and they were bpth gobsmacked by the improvement. Enough so that my teck bought a 600 to do for himself. And the parts are in fory 700, cant wait to get it in to be done. So thanks from both pf them!
    Drunk post?

Have you ever been experienced? :afro:
    You're experienced now, solder-slinger! Post them pics!

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Sennheiser HD650
    Dynavector 17D3
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Wait, I have one! I hope your pics turned out better than mine.....

Attachment 74121
    Last edited by SCompRacer; 08-18-2012 at 02:03 AM.

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Sennheiser HD650
    Dynavector 17D3