Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I bought a BOB!

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Default I bought a BOB!

I've been wanting to get back into working out more, and back into martial arts in particular. I picked up a pair of eskrima and a pair of practice and a pair of real nunchucks and a practice sword and knife and some pads over the weekend.

The last night I was in Academy and decided to pick up a BOB (Body Opponent Bag), it's basically a free-standing kicking and punching bag except that it's a man, from the torso up with all the normal human features so that you can practive different strikes and stuff. You put water or sand in the base to keep him in one place whilst you beat on him...

I gave it a good workout last night and discovered that I have absolutely no upper body strength. My lower body is still fine, but the upper body strength is gone, so I'll need to figure out a way to fix that.

Anyone else own one of these or somthing like it? Have any tips or good workout recommendations? I'm wondering how durable it is, if I can use the sticks and stuff on 'him'.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Talking

Oh My, so many places to go with this thread.....:p
    Huh? Wot?? Dig it :tongue:

Where can I get me some??

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Dammit, why wasn't I informed?!!
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

That's pretty awesome. I remember we had "BOBs" when I did martial arts forever ago. Where I'm going to the gym now has a punching bag, and I really like hitting that up some, but I need my wrists to get stronger before I can really wail on it too much.

No idea on BOB's 'resiliency'.

How about curls, tricep extensions, pushups, etc for that upper body?

Have fun with it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstas View Post
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

Member Sales Rating: (31)

I've seen little kids knock them over with a round house, filled with sand and all.

You would be much better off with something like this, but with a heavier bag.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    I've been wanting to get back into working out more, and back into martial arts in particular. I picked up a pair of eskrima and a pair of practice and a pair of real nunchucks and a practice sword and knife and some pads over the weekend.

The last night I was in Academy and decided to pick up a BOB (Body Opponent Bag), it's basically a free-standing kicking and punching bag except that it's a man, from the torso up with all the normal human features so that you can practive different strikes and stuff. You put water or sand in the base to keep him in one place whilst you beat on him...

I gave it a good workout last night and discovered that I have absolutely no upper body strength. My lower body is still fine, but the upper body strength is gone, so I'll need to figure out a way to fix that.

Anyone else own one of these or somthing like it? Have any tips or good workout recommendations? I'm wondering how durable it is, if I can use the sticks and stuff on 'him'.
    Not sure how long it would work for my martial art - iaijutsu uses a sword!:D

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

BOB's are great for applying striking technique to a human form type of attack. I've beaten the bejesus out of mine so it's resilient.

while it's great for training, you still need heavy bag work to build the punching power....that includes wrist strentgh (something often overlooked)

ever notice that when boxers get into street fights they break there wrist (Tyson V Mitch green anyone?) Boxers wrists are wrapped up supertight, so while they punch like freight trains, there wrists are not used to that power without a solid wrap.

Boxing training is great for developing striking ability, but dont always train with full wraps if your thinking of any applicability to the street in case god forbid you need it.

Long story short, BOB = awesome. do some heavy bag too. get some bag gloves or mma gloves and use them to hit. I usually hit my own bob bare fist but use a bag glove for the heavy bag at the gym.
    Last edited by ohskigod; 02-22-2010 at 01:22 PM.
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

Problem with something like that is the room it takes up. I have very little real estate available. The BOB is something I can keep in the corner and just drag out when I need it.

It holds 250 pounds of sand, I don't know what they feed the kids in your part of the world, but I ain't knocking this thing over any time soon. If I give it a good roundhouse it'll obviously rock back a bit, but it's not falling over one me, maybe I'm just a big wuss, either way I'm good for now.

Besides, for me this is less about full on power thrust and more about practicing different strikes and such, although as i saw last night it also makes for a great workout. If I want to just start kicking as hard as I can I've got a friend who can hold the body sheild.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Always suspected bobman was a bit of a whore, but wasn't aware he was into getting it rough........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7995/meterdq8.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post
    Not sure how long it would work for my martial art - iaijutsu uses a sword!:D
    That's the one from Japan right? I would think the BOB would still be good for practicing, obviously with a practice sword :D
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

Member Sales Rating: (5)

you can take a wood or polycarbonate bokken and beat the sh*t out of BOB. I've used escrima sticks on him, all good.

AsSim, no heavy bag=no big deal if you could only have one, you go with the bob. notice though when you punch the head it is very malleable (simulating a strike to a rreal head to a degree) great for target training/simulation but seems to not give the resistance for increasing punching power, for that, you can take the Bob and jack the height up and punch the chest (but at your head height). I've done that in a pinch
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by brettw22 View Post
    Always suspected bobman was a bit of a whore, but wasn't aware he was into getting it rough........
    I wouldn't say I'm INTO it, but if they're willing to pay....
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Quote Originally Posted by bobman1235 View Post
    I wouldn't say I'm INTO it, but if they're willing to pay....
    :D Where do I apply for this job :D

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

That dood looks mean...

Quote Originally Posted by zingo View Post
    That dood looks mean...

Where do the batteries go??

(_(((_(_____(2)_______________)>~~~~~~~ B.O.B. (Battery-Operated Boyfriend)

^ damn you, you beat me to it! lmao
    --Gary--

Cool, thanks for the tip ohskigod. I'm relatively short at 5"9 so I can do that and BOB still has a fairly low center of gravity so it works well for me.
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

i thought a Bob was Battery Operated Boyfriend.:D
    Samsung 72" DLP
    Samsung BD1600 Blue
    Fronts- Monitor 70's
    Upper fronts- Monitor30's
    Surrounds- Monitor 40's
    Backs- Monitor 40's
    Center-CS2
    Sub- PSW 1000
    Onkyo 607[back up]
    Onkyo TX-NR 906

Quote Originally Posted by stuwee View Post
    :D Where do I apply for this job :D
    Are you sure you're following the train of thought on this one with your comment? If you are, then you're volunteering to be agressively.....um....used?.........which I could probably help you with, but I thought I'd let you clarify first....... :P

and no......not serious.......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7995/meterdq8.gif

After a more extended workout tonight, I've discovered a secondary benefit as well, it's also a decent cardio workout.
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Pfft, I bought a DOB from Doro for $699.

After an extended workout I'm still turned on.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

I love it!

Member Sales Rating: (10)

If you wanna build upper body strength to strike you should work your triceps and shoulders. also do some back work.
    Living Room Rig:D
    Rotel RSP-1069/Rotel RMB-1095/Rotel-1072/Polk lsI15's W/modded xoverW/DBsubs/Polk LsiC/lsI7's/Klipsch sub-12"the weak link"/DLP Mitsubishi 65"
    Xbox360/PS3/WII
    M.Br. setup:)
    Emotiva MMC-1/Rotel RMB-1075/Polk BlackStone TL350's/Velodyne SPL1000/Samsung 51" Plasma
    Computer Rig:
    Rotel RB1050/Tannoy DC4's/Klipsch RW-10d/ImodIpod/HK AVR230 for now....
    Headphones-Ultrasone-HFI780's w/LittleDot MK Vamp Portables Panasonic HJE-900's

Member Sales Rating: (40)

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Demi, patent that RIGHT now, going to be a hot seller for SURE. Add a nutsac first, that's the first thing I want to strike when I think of Mark.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Did you dress it?

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by BaggedLancer View Post
    Did you dress it?
    I'm actually probably gonna thrw a gi and one of my old belts on it, should help protect the surface a bit and keep it somewhat clean.
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

OMG I love you Demi!

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Notice the tell tale Jim Beam induced, un-natural redness of the facia.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Well, according to NJPolker that's normal even tho' we don't even know one another and I've never had my head attached to a mocha tinted body before.
    Last edited by dorokusai; 02-22-2010 at 10:10 PM.

Thread Information