+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Default See a cop and don't move over one lane and you'll

Get fined $100 to $500!

Have you guys seen this?

http://www.moveoveramerica.com/

New Law 1/1/10

If a patrol car is pulled over to the side of the road with their lights flashing, you have to move to the next lane (away from the stopped vehicle) or slow down by 20 mph.......Every state except Hawaii and Maryland and the D.C. has this law. *In California , the "Move-over" law become operative on January 1, 2010.

Received the following in an email:

My son got a ticket on Pleasant Hill coming back from Wal-Mart. A Duluth police car (turned out it was 2 police cars) was on the side of the road giving a ticket to someone else. My son slowed down to pass but did not move into the other lane. The second police car immediately pulled him over and gave him a ticket.

My son and I had never heard of the law.
    It is a fairly new law that states if any emergency vehicle is on the side of the road with its lights flashing, if you are able, you are to move into the next lane. *The cost of the ticket was $754, with 3 points on your license and a mandatory court appearance.

Please let everyone you know that drives about this new law.
    It is true (see details at the following web address).
    It states that except two states, all the other US states (even Canada ) enacted a similar kind of law.
    See attached wmv file or this site: http://www.moveoveramerica..com/

www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/moveover.asp

Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Why wouldn't you do that anyways if at all possible? And if you couldn't just take it to court, big deal. I bet that's a rare stop anyways.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

This law (a similar one) has been in place since 2001 in our state. I don't have a big problem with it because:

1.) Moving over is common sense.

2.) It's almost completely unenforceable.

3.) It only exists as an attempt to keep LEOs and emergency responders from being hit by other motorists in a dangerous environment.

Necessary? I don't know...

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
    Moving over is common sense.
    +1....I try to give them as much room as possible
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan

Member Sales Rating: (0)

In my state, Michigan, you have to move over "if possible." So if the lane next to you is packed with cars, you can't move over. Personally, I think the law is un-enforceable unless there's just absolutely nobody in the adjacent lane.

Chris

Member Sales Rating: (20)

It's been that way here in Texas for a while and I have no problems with it whatsoever. it's one of the traffic laws that I happen to agree strongly with.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Lorthos

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    Why wouldn't you do that anyways if at all possible? And if you couldn't just take it to court, big deal. I bet that's a rare stop anyways.
    Wow, nice shiny new badge you have there:)

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    It's been that way here in Texas for a while and I have no problems with it whatsoever. it's one of the traffic laws that I happen to agree strongly with.
    Yep. If you can't move out of the closest lane, then you have to drop your speed down to at least 10 under posted.

Anyone who doesn't move over or at least take precautionary action deserves the fine they get.

I don't have a big problem with it because:

3.) It only exists as an attempt to keep LEOs and emergency responders from being hit by other motorists in a dangerous environment.
    Except in NJ where it exist as a "fund raiser". :D
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by jgido759 View Post
    Except in NJ where it exist as a "fund raiser". :D
    How so? Unless there's a cop in the flow of traffic with you to watch you break this law, how are they going to enforce it? Dash cameras and they mail you a ticket? That doesn't happen here, so I have to ask.

I find many traffic laws to be nothing but municipality revenue generators, but a law like this isn't one of them. So far as I can tell it's actually one based on safety.

I think the necessity of the law is completely debatable, though.

Default Hey

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Yep. If you can't move out of the closest lane, then you have to drop your speed down to at least 10 under posted.

Anyone who doesn't move over or at least take precautionary action deserves the fine they get.

Try "10 under" here in Detroit on 696 in the fast lane (where the cops usually have the cars pulled over) and the de facto speed limit is about 85 mph. I'll take my chances on the ticket and the fine. You go 60 mph in the 85 mph zone, your taking your life in your hands

Chris

How so? Unless there's a cop in the flow of traffic with you to watch you break this law, how are they going to enforce it? Dash cameras and they mail you a ticket? That doesn't happen here, so I have to ask.

I find many traffic laws to be nothing but municipality revenue generators, but a law like this isn't one of them. So far as I can tell it's actually one based on safety.

I think the necessity of the law is completely debatable, though.
    Personally, I think it's a dangerous law but it depends on where you live and the type of freeway we're talking about. Going back to my post about 696 here in Michigan. Imagine yourself driving that highway during rush hour where everyone's going at least 70 mph with about 3 car lengths between cars. And it's a curvy freeway where you can't see around the curves because it's below ground level.

So you go around a curve in the far left lane and suddenly there's a cop on the left shoulder with lots of room to get by him. But, because of the law, you instead try to make a lane change into the adjacent lane to the right of you, the same lane I just mentioned was jammed tight, well, you get the picture.

Chris

Member Sales Rating: (10)

This is old news for me. Not a big deal, if you can merge over do so.
    Living Room Rig:D
    Rotel RSP-1069/Rotel RMB-1095/Rotel-1072/Polk lsI15's W/modded xoverW/DBsubs/Polk LsiC/lsI7's/Klipsch sub-12"the weak link"/DLP Mitsubishi 65"
    Xbox360/PS3/WII
    M.Br. setup:)
    Emotiva MMC-1/Rotel RMB-1075/Polk BlackStone TL350's/Velodyne SPL1000/Samsung 51" Plasma
    Computer Rig:
    Rotel RB1050/Tannoy DC4's/Klipsch RW-10d/ImodIpod/HK AVR230 for now....
    Headphones-Ultrasone-HFI780's w/LittleDot MK Vamp Portables Panasonic HJE-900's

Quote Originally Posted by Lorthos View Post
    Wow, nice shiny new badge you have there:)
    Yeah, I'm very un-excited by it but the tattoo of my fathers' original MPDC badge is closer to my heart. The "2" askew is where he was shot but the SOB is ornery like his son. I sure hope I don't go to jail anytime soon...it might take me more time to explain and then get my ass beat than its worth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	badge2.jpg‎
Views:	74
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	47038   Click image for larger version

Name:	badge1.jpg‎
Views:	68
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	47039  
    Last edited by dorokusai; 02-26-2010 at 02:06 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Wow that's a huge Tattoo!
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Member Sales Rating: (1)

The law has been in effect in Texas for awhile
    HT - game room
    Yamaha RX V665 - AVR, Polk Monitor 60's,(HT), Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS 1, Polk PSW 505, Samsung PN50B550 - 50" Plasma, PS3, Wii

2ch - spare bedroom
    Squeezebox Touch->AQ Alpha Snake->Music Hall A15.2->Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1
    Yamaha S1800(SACD),Technics SL-QD33(TT)
    Head-fi - Sennheiser HD 280, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, B&W P5, Sennheiser HD 650
    Lenovo Laptop-> Dragonfly USB DAC/amp
    Server-QNAP TS110

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Cool tat Doro, interesting story too.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

there was a thread on this a month or so ago. This law has been in effect in Ohio for a while, a buddy of mine got a ticket for that a couple of years ago.
    panasonic th-50pz85u
    pioneer elite vsx-92txh
    pioneer elite bdp-05fd
    emotiva xpa-3
    monster power hdp 2550
    sa 8300 hd dvr
    sda 2b's
    fronts - rti a9's
    center - csi a6
    surrounds - fxi a6's
    sub - polk dsw pro 600
    harmony one

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Most states have this law after several police officers were struck by passing motorists. Where not possible, it's common sense to at least move over within the right lane. Most states I've passed through don't enforce it strongly unless you're just an @$$ & zip by 2 inches from them, in which case you absolutely deserve it~
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer

This law (a similar one) has been in place since 2001 in our state. I don't have a big problem with it because:

1.) Moving over is common sense.

2.) It's almost completely unenforceable.

Necessary? I don't know...
    +1, after seeing a few shows where people don't half a$$ pay attention and hitting the emergency vehicles, can you really blame them. Safety is key.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post

I thought it was 20 under in texas?
    -Cody

Oh, and REPOST! http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...light=cop+lane
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
    I thought it was 20 under in texas?
    -Cody

Oh, and REPOST! http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...light=cop+lane
    It might be. I've heard different numbers, but never looked it up. I'm still thinking its only 10, but I could be wrong. Too lazy to look.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

This law has been in effect in Illinois for over 10 years. How many tickets have actually ever been issued, I haven't a clue.

To me it's just common sense to change to the left lane if someone is on the shoulder for any reason . But in the society we live in now there is no such thing as common sense, especially on the road.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    Precisely, you have to get out of the lane to go around him anyway so why not do it asap. JHC it's just common sense!

There are that many dumb people on the road that they had to make this a law? Sheesh, I'm glad I don't drive!
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

I drive a lot as part of my reality based job and try to drive softly...now when I'm in my personal vehicle, you better keep your kids on the sidewalk.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

How is this news? :p

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Last time i was in traffic court, there was a younger girl that got hit with one of these tickets.

From what i understand of her story, the officer actually blocked her in from moving a lane away from the emergency vehicle. Then proceeded to pull her over and write a hefty ticket.

I'd say that easily 95% of citizens will move over from common sense. The other 5% are a target for more revenue. Or in this case, it's another way to meet quota.

You can all sit here and tell me that she was making the story up, but her ticket got thrown out, and i've seen MUCH worse from Indiana State Troopers.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    But in the society we live in now there is no such thing as common sense, especially on the road.
    Hit the nail right on the head there. :D
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post

I'd say that easily 95% of citizens will move over from common sense. The other 5% are a target for more revenue. Or in this case, it's another way to meet quota.
    You must not get out much. Only 5% don't have common sense. Try adding a zero to that.

50% is more like it. There is also a law in Illinois that you can't hang out in the left lane. Use it to pass or keep up with the flow of traffic, etc. If you are hanging out in the left lane impeding others you can get a ticket. That law was made because the same dumbasses (the 50% who have no common sense) were causing so much road rage and accidents they thought they needed to legislate a law. Does it help...............nope, the same dumbasses still hang out in the left lane blocking faster moving traffic.

5%............you have to be joking

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

AZ has a Stupid Driver Law (actual name I think) where if you try to drive via an underpass and your car sinks (they well up with water because they're below ground level when they have their crazy rainstorms) they'll give you a ticket, plus charge you the costs of getting your vehicle free.

I totally support that, especially the name of it, because if you're going to be reckless and cause the vital resources to be taken to save your idiocy, then you should absolutely get fined and pay for it.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
    http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7995/meterdq8.gif

Thread Information