Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Picked up some SDA 1A's

just got these SDA 1A's off CL. price was right. Cabinets are in bad shape not sure if i can salvage them yet. the veneer is to damaged to repair. the passive radiators and IC are mia. the good part is all drivers work. one tweeter has a small tear in the dome and not one mark on any of the other drivers. I find that a little odd considering how bad a shape the cabinets are in. So, after a kwik hook up and a jerry riged IC cable. they dont sound bad and the sda affect even works. i think with a little love these speakers will continue to live on. Any one have some extra passive radiators? Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-23_20-09-41_634.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	504.2 KB
ID:	83174Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-23_20-09-51_844.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	454.3 KB
ID:	83175Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-23_18-48-38_668.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	513.7 KB
ID:	83176

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Looks like you've got a big project on your hands.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

At a comfortable distance.... gaining perspective

I think a more direct route would be to part those out and apply the proceeds to a pair that aren't quite so far gone. Doro's got a stash of PRs,BTW.

Now where would be the fun in that gdb. its just some cabinetry work and a pair of passives.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

The passives are no longer made and harder than hell to find!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (4)

If I remember correctly, someone was selling some 12" passives in the FM a few days back, but I don't remember for what speakers. FYI, not all the same speakers use the same 12" passives.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    If I remember correctly, someone was selling some 12" passives in the FM a few days back, but I don't remember for what speakers. FYI, not all the same speakers use the same 12" passives.
    Aside from the mass-loading and perhaps the mounting-screw pattern, what would be the differences?

Quote Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
    Aside from the mass-loading and perhaps the mounting-screw pattern, what would be the differences?
    You are of course correct, but I am just stating this to let the OP know that not all the same 12" PR's were used in all SDA's (for his reference). I don't think you could hear a difference, but have never listened to see if you can myself.

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Member Sales Rating: (13)

The PR part number is SW120. It was used in 4 other SDA models, but they are still hard to come by.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but those are one of the lest desirable SDA models and yours are in really bad condition. IMO, you'd be better off cutting your losses, part them out and look for a better pair.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
    The screw patterns on the 12's are all the same, but the tuning is different and that matters.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Thanks Jesse for clearing that up. How big of a tuning difference is there between the flat faced 12" PR's?

Big enough that Polk felt the need to make different ones.

thanks for all the input. call me crazy but i have no looses with these i paid $35 for them. these being "least desirable", i do not put much weight in that, i'm guessing that is because people are not useing the proper equipment to drive them. I have heard this model before and like them. so at this point all these need are pr's and alittle cabinetry work.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

If the cabinets are rough when you peel the vinyl, you can do some spot repairs with bondo, I did that with my 4.1TL's.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

My 1As have real , honest to God, walnut veneer on them !

Quote Originally Posted by gdb View Post
    My 1As have real , honest to God, walnut veneer on them !
    What's left of it. You could always re-veneer them, and keep an eye on eBay for the PRs, they do pop up every now and then.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...ished...Almost
    Center: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, H-Nuts, BH5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

www.dhsspeakerservice.com

Quote Originally Posted by westmassguy View Post
    What's left of it. You could always re-veneer them, and keep an eye on eBay for the PRs, they do pop up every now and then.
    Whatchu talkin' ;bout, Willis ? Mine are near perfect. (one minor ring stain)

Member Sales Rating: (6)

heck for the 35 $ for now it might not match but you can sometimes find jbl passives that might get you by. For the money you paid, why not just through in whatever you can find and that will fit for now.

these being "least desirable", i do not put much weight in that, i'm guessing that is because people are not useing the proper equipment to drive them.
    Nope, that's not it. It's the design with the SDA tweeter, which creates a phasey effect. A lot of folks disconnect it. In addition, the SL1000 is arguably the worst of the SDA tweeters.

Whatchu talkin' ;bout, Willis ? Mine are near perfect. (one minor ring stain)
    LOL, that's one hell of a ring then
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

Quote Originally Posted by westmassguy View Post
    LOL, that's one hell of a ring then

Uhhhh, I think you've got me mixed up with the OP, chief. If the ones pictured were mine......I'd screw em to my window sills, fill em w/dirt and plant flowers in the holes. And....in a former life, I've "hand hammered" several acres worth of veneers and hot pot, rabbit hide glue !
    Last edited by gdb; 03-24-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Uhhhh, I think you've got me mixed up with the OP, chief. If the ones pictured were mine......I'd screw em to my window sills, fill em w/dirt and plant flowers in the holes.
    You're right, senior moment, sorry.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Nope, that's not it. It's the design with the SDA tweeter, which creates a phasey effect. A lot of folks disconnect it. In addition, the SL1000 is arguably the worst of the SDA tweeters.
    I guess my ears r not so go then. I have hf1000(peerless) sl1000, sl2000 and sl2500. IMO sl2500 is low man on the poll.

Quote Originally Posted by erniejade View Post
    heck for the 35 $ for now it might not match but you can sometimes find jbl passives that might get you by. For the money you paid, why not just through in whatever you can find and that will fit for now.
    Not in any rush. Have other speakers to listen to. Thanks.

The SL2500 wasn't an SDA tweeter, so if they are in a pair of SDA's, they wouldn't sound right.

sorry just threw out 4. 2 with foam mat 2 without.Had to move and drivers took priority.
    listen to Alex Jones
    Acer Laptop: the Flash works it works haha!

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    The SL2500 wasn't an SDA tweeter, so if they are in a pair of SDA's, they wouldn't sound right.
    The hf1000 (peerless) wasn't an SDA tweeter either.

Quote Originally Posted by Smallies View Post
    sorry just threw out 4. 2 with foam mat 2 without.Had to move and drivers took priority.
    That hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by skspider View Post
    The hf1000 (peerless) wasn't an SDA tweeter either.
    You're right, so why are you mentioning tweeters that aren't?

skspider, just spotted these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321096820872...84.m1438.l2649

Ask the seller if there are any numbers printed or scribbled on the back. Your 1As need an SW120
    The SW120 was used in the SDA-1, 1A, 1B, 1C, and SDA-2
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

Thread Information