Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default What is the best amp for Polk Audio db651,db691?what Sub,Amp can go with them?

I have an kenwood excelon x493 as the head unit.I have the regular db651 not components.Will these be almost as good with or w/o an amp?As for the 691's can they be ran at 2 ohms?The reason i ask this is because i've seen amps with 50-80 rms x 1 channel @ 4ohms for the 651's and 125 x 1 @ 2 ohms and the 691's are 100w rms.Can it push the 691's ok without under-powering/overpowering them?The amps i've look at are Polk's,alpine,mtx,and a few others...Thanks In Advance!

Your speakers are 4 ohm speakers. There is no changing that. The way you wire the speakers will determine what the ohm rating of the amp will be.

Do a little research on wiring speakers to an amp and decide what you want to do. Crutchfield usually has some good information.

As far as 125x1, if that were run to 2 speakers, each one would be getting half of that power, so it would still be in the 50-80 range per speaker. All you did was force the amp to work at a lower ohm rating, which results in more heat.

im sorry skip.i should have explain more.i don't physically have the amp yet or the speakers,I just ordered my stuff from sonic electronix.i was just asking this ahead of time.im not putting it in myself.i just want to have some info before i went to the audio shop.i wanted someone with amp know how and or stereo hook up skills to help me.thanks

I love Polk Audio PA500.4 amp.
    90Wx4 at 4ohms is just what your 100W speakers need

The three companies you listed all make good amps. A 4 channel amp is the way I would go. Do some online shopping and see if you can find some better prices than the shops offer.

What kind of car are you putting it in? I know a lot of people like rear fill but if SQ is your objective then its not the way to go. If its a small cabin then its definitely not the way to go. A good set of comps would be a better investment than 2 pairs of speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by dskip View Post
    what kind of car are you putting it in? I know a lot of people like rear fill but if sq is your objective then its not the way to go. If its a small cabin then its definitely not the way to go. A good set of comps would be a better investment than 2 pairs of speakers.
    + 1

Thread Information