Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    I have to confess that I was 'one' of the doubters there. But it looks like you've proven us wrong Larry...which is great for you and your ears!

Did you post the final pics...did I miss them?

Never mind I scrolled back and see that you did give us a final view....? Very nice, indeed!

cnh
    I wiil post some pics of the whole setup tonight.

It sounds so good that I am working on my 1.2tl's should be done in a couple of weeks..;)
    Hot Rodded SDA 1.2TL's, SDA 1C's, SDA CRS+'s...
    Powered By Wyred 4 Sound, STP-SE, SX-1000...
    MIT-Shotgun's ...

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Cool,

I am asking all of these questions so that hopefully I only have to open my SRS 2's one more time.

Quote Originally Posted by xsmi View Post
    Cool,

I am asking all of these questions so that hopefully I only have to open my SRS 2's one more time.
    Ask away!! I just wish I could get at least 2 people to come over and hear them..

I also can't beleive I am putting $600 more into my 1.2tl's..
    MIT-Shotgun's ...

Member Sales Rating: (31)

I can help you spend even more... :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    I can help you spend even more... :D

Well do tell I might just be up for it... LOL
    MIT-Shotgun's ...

Member Sales Rating: (45)

The more time I spend with these, I find that the midrange on the SDA-1C is superb. I am really enjoying mine and they are not modded near to the level as yours are Larry.

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLFORLIFEFAN View Post
    Your more then welcome to come by, just keep in touch.
    Thanks. I'm anxious to put my ears on them. When I modded Kelvin's -1C's a couple years ago, I used a very basic foam to cut down the internal enclosure reflections. I'm looking forward to hearing the improvement you've gained with the BlackHole/SonicBarrier combination.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by geoff727 View Post
    Thanks. I'm anxious to put my ears on them. When I modded Kelvin's -1C's a couple years ago, I used a very basic foam to cut down the internal enclosure reflections. I'm looking forward to hearing the improvement you've gained with the BlackHole/SonicBarrier combination.
    Hmmmm, do I forsee a mod in my future?
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-45
    NAD 1130 pre
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
    The Clamp
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    DBX 3BX-DS
    DBX 224-DS
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's

Quote Originally Posted by Fongolio View Post
    Well, you could try, but it'll be a pain. I tacked that foam down with hot glue throughout the enclosure, with the idea that it never come loose. If I remember right, I stuffed about 70% of the enclosure volume with polyfill for internal reflection control. So taking the foam out and re-installing B.H. 5 or S.B. or NoRez would be a tremendous pain, and most likely for a small benefit at this point (with those particular speakers).

But, if you run across another pair of speakers you want me to do, then we could work something out! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Fongolio View Post
    Also remember that those -1C's have quite a few front-back and side-side dowels inside there to 'tighten up' the areas where there was a lot of unsupported baffle, or a typical weak area (like the area around the 4 mid-bass drivers. This pushes the various unwanted box vibrations to higher frequencies, where they're more easily controlled.

Any re-installation of another foam involves either removing all those supporting dowles, or cutting the foam to go around them. Removing them would be very unwise, as they're cemented in there really good. The area around the mid-basses where the particle board is not very substantial would probably break if you tried to remove those supports.

Sorry, this is Larry's thread. I'll shut up now.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Hi all! I am new here. I think I am going to take all my mid/bass drivers and JB weld 'em just to be safe. Too much investment not to, I think. I have two Monitor 5's that had both drivers frozen up so I replaced them with eBay purchases. They work great now. I understand there is a place that can fix the frozen drivers but not cheap, around $130 - $150 a pair I think. I will have to look this up again. I can twist the magnet & outer plate by hand on the frozen up drivers, so it sounds like the "glue" gave out or none was used. I have collected many older Polk drivers and speakers to try to put together a nice sound system that can be voice matched, mostly older monitor 5's, 7's & RT-11t. I am using Hafler gear & am looking at upgrade kits for everything in hopes of improving what I have. Any helpful hints are welcome. Thanks all!

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by misterrick View Post
    Hi all! I am new here. I think I am going to take all my mid/bass drivers and JB weld 'em just to be safe. Too much investment not to, I think. I have two Monitor 5's that had both drivers frozen up so I replaced them with eBay purchases. They work great now. I understand there is a place that can fix the frozen drivers but not cheap, around $130 - $150 a pair I think. I will have to look this up again. I can twist the magnet & outer plate by hand on the frozen up drivers, so it sounds like the "glue" gave out or none was used. I have collected many older Polk drivers and speakers to try to put together a nice sound system that can be voice matched, mostly older monitor 5's, 7's & RT-11t. I am using Hafler gear & am looking at upgrade kits for everything in hopes of improving what I have. Any helpful hints are welcome. Thanks all!
    Best advice to get help is to start a new thread - this one's 2+ years old!

Welcome to CP!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR binding posts, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheets (3" strips) installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA transformer

The memories..