Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Wink Thoughts on a REGA PLanet cd-transport

Im sure a few people have these here what are your thoughts good bad ?
    " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 [COLOR="Blue"]Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Hello, I had the Rega Apollo CDP a few years back. Cool little unit that sounded real nice. If you want a very forward sound to your sound stage, then this would be the player for you. That said, if you prefer a more laid back sound you may want to look elsewhere. Definitely a British type sound IMO.

FYI, when I had the player, it read every CD I put into it. Even the ones that no other player I owned would. On those CD's that had a song or two that wouldn't play? You guessed it. It played them too.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I hear the Jupiter or Saturn is a worthy upgrade. I have always been interested in these players too.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Member Sales Rating: (31)

I've heard more than a few times that their older players have reliability issues.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (36)

I tested out an Apollo back in the day. There's a comparison of it to a CA 840C somewhere on the forum. I thought it was cheaply made, but sounded good.

Member Sales Rating: (25)

My Rega Planet sounds great with no issues so far, nice clean sound

I am trying it out right now it definetely sounds different than my cheap samsung dvd ....

Denon 3300 [COLOR="Blue"]Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables

OK so far its more open than my cheap dvd samsung . what are your opinions as far as sound ....

I know there are differnce in cords Ive tested and bought and made some of my own .... equipment makes a difference ,, the subtlies are definetely astounding ... even if its a little at a time.....

this player seems more open too me sound wise.. any thoughts ...

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Hello,

First of all, forgive my poor english; I'm French!
    I've had both the Rega Planet and Jupiter, and know them quite well. As stand alone players, they are very good, but with a specific sound signature: slighty forward presentation; more oriented towards rythmics and pace than relaxing, confortable sound; full bass, delicate treble, great finesse. They also have the characteristics of british sound which is fluidity and ease at the expense of presence and plankton - those tiny bits of information that make you think the intruments are there -, and textures are a litte smoothed out.

The Jupiter is better than the planet, which is a little grey sounding, lacks extension and dynamics. The Jupiter retains the same signature, but the instruments and voices are more vibrant and alive.

As transports, I think the Regas are good, but there is nothing special about them either. The bass lacks definition, the treble is a little edgy, and the sounds can get crowded and ill defined (this is symptomatic of a clock issue, and could be avoided with recent dacs providing jitter-rejection).

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Excellent post!

Welcome to Club Polk.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Thanks! Happy to contribute to this great community.

Member Sales Rating: (15)

The irony here is that your English is better than 50% of the posters here... ;)

Welcome! :D
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Thats what i was looking for!

Thread Information