Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First polkies

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default First polkies

Hi forum...New Polkie here...It's been an interesting experience reading post after post in how you guys upgrade vintage speakers especially sda's...Inspiring....However i've been around dj equipment since the 80's thanks to my (uncle ) I am 35 now so it just stuck with me..That being said i have a dj system as a hobby and want to experience a vintage 2 channel rig... Saw a pair of sda 2's studio version in craiglist for $150.00 in awesome condition and just following up on this forum's passion for these speakers i pulled the plug and bought them..Wow my first polk speakers....I hope i did right..(will post pics when i figure it out )... So i test them with my dj rig that consist on CE 1000 Crown, Preamp board, eq etc...My crown channel output's are 275 wpc that I use with Jbl MP Pros...It's amazing how these SDA speakers sound ..The clarity and I don't have the interconnect cable yet for the full effect , but i really dont want to use the dj rig to listen to them worried that i would blow them or overpowered them..I just feel like these speakers are not made for a dj rig to listen too....Just want a few helpful advised...I know a little about music but I'm not an audiophile...Thanks guys and sorry for the long post..Awesome forum...:)

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Its my understanding that PA amps are not the best suited for SDA's, your better off with a good high current home audio amp like Adcom Rotel, Carver, but it has to be a common ground amp. Also get the IC, big difference. And welcome!

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Plenty of good threads / advice on all things SDA to read up on around here, and you'll certainly find the fan base to get chatty with.

Welcome to the boards, keep rockin' the vintage Polk!

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Thanks for the fast reply....Perfect....Was'nt sure if PA amps were built like current home amps..Thanks for your input..

Member Sales Rating: (6)

+ 1 on getting the interconnect cable. There is one on e-bay right now.

Good luck.

Welcome to the Forum.

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Quote Originally Posted by Elinvader View Post
    Thanks for the fast reply....Perfect....Was'nt sure if PA amps were built like current home amps..Thanks for your input..
    Amplifiers perform a simple function at the end of the day. You can rock the Polk's all day long and into the next as long as they aren't over-driven, or your amp(s) start to clip. The tonal signature and quality of the overall sound and image will change, but amps are amps at the end of the day, and it's really up to you to decide what you like.

Just because your setup isn't the norm, doesn't mean it won't work and give you eargasms. That being said, (and as mentioned above), a simple, affordable Carver /Adcom / etc setup might just make you mess your flat hat.

Cheers,
    Russ

Side note, search 'common ground', a lot of pro amps are NOT common ground, or have a 'ground lift' feature built in. Make SURE you have a common ground amp before you hook up that SDA cable, and you do need that cable.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

One thing to make sure of, is that whatever amp they're hooked up to is common ground. When the interconnect isn't hooked up, it doesn't matter...but with the cable in place you must use a common ground amp.

As you alluded to, these speakers aren't really designed to be used with pro audio equipment. Using them with it won't hurt them by any means, but definitely don't get real high with the volume knob. They'll sing through some good 2 channel equipment.

For $150, you did good. Do you know what kind of 2's they are? Do they have dual side by side tweeters and three mid-woofers in each cabinet, or does each cabinet just have a single tweeter and two mid-woofers?

There are many mods/upgrades out there for SDA's too. Tweeters and crossover upgrades, just to name a couple.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

They are single tweeter with 2 mids and are black cloth all around with just the top and bottom in oak in perfect condition...like you stated I went a little high on the knob and i backed up and decided to write the post.... like russ pointed out about a lot of threads for sda's, started researching and found the leak test about pushing the driver and counting 2 to 5 seconds ...tested and they are perfect ....I was reading about the mods but thats out of my league in me doing the upgrade.... I see some post here that some polkies will do the upgrade.. definitely would love to do them...Curt im a little confused about the common ground? I will get the interconnect cable but I'm not in a rush in using the polks so i'll do my homework about these speakers first , dont want to mess them up especially for the price that i got them..Thanks guys for the input

Sounds like a pair of 2B's you've got there. Those are generally considered to be the best of the SDA 2's(though my 2A's aren't too shabby IMO). For $150, you got a killer deal. I've seen 2B's sell in the $250ish range usually, and for $300+ on a few occasions.

Regarding the common ground issues...

SDA's, due to the interconnect cable, must be used with a common ground amp. Common ground means that all of the amps channels share the same grounding point(negative terminal).

This can be checked with an ohm meter. Here's the process to check for common ground.

You'll need an ohm meter, set for continuity. Make sure the amp is off, and unplugged. Touch one of the ohm meters leads to the right negative terminal, and touch the other lead to the left negative terminal. If the meter shows continuity, the amp is common ground. If the meter shows nothing, it isn't common ground, and can't be used with SDA's(at least not with the interconnect in place). As mentioned before, a common ground amp isn't necessary if you're using SDA's without the IC in place...but not using the IC kinda defeats the purpose of SDA's.
    Last edited by comfortablycurt; 03-04-2010 at 01:32 AM.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Curt, thanks for the common ground testing tip.

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Welcome to Club Polk.The speakers that you have a real jewels.Hang around, get your learn on,,participate,and read up on what those speakers can do with the current upgrades-mods and tubes,,might be they will be in your home for many years. :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

I just got on here recently and my rig took a giant step up with the purchase of some SDA's.

Welcome to the slippery slope.

Sometimes I wish I could get off vintage audio and onto hard drugs, it's an every day struggle though!
    Last edited by Hypnotoad; 03-04-2010 at 09:33 AM.
    ProJect Perspective II Turntable & Benz Micro Ace
    ProJect Tube Box II & Philips/Amperex tubes
    Luxman L-430 Integrated
    Polk SDA 1C's

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

Not much more I could add to what has been already said, except to say, Welcome to Club Polk Elinvader!!! This is the best audio club on the net.

Thanks guys for the comments and replies to guide me to the right path....Here are some pics of the speakers and my humble system....Hope to accomplish the full potential of these speakers ...Thanks for the help..

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Looks purdy!! Just for the record, SDA's don't work well when placed in a corner like that.

Ideally, they should have at least 2-3 feet of breathing room on the outside.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

Member Sales Rating: (3)

For $150 you got a hell of a deal! just make sure they are set up properly when you get the SDA cable, that also makes a huge difference.

Banned

Gorgeous! GIMME DEM!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablycurt View Post
    Looks purdy!! Just for the record, SDA's don't work well when placed in a corner like that.

Ideally, they should have at least 2-3 feet of breathing room on the outside.
    Three feet minimum from the side walls, four feet apart minimum. IMHO.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Those speakers are gorgeous. You got a hell of a deal. That Sansui is nice, too.

You can drive them with PA amps, but PA amps typically are designed to pump out a lot of power, and not necessarily sound the best doing it. More audiophile amps are designed to sound good as well :)
    Ludicrous gibs!

Thanks for the comments guys...That sansui was a steal $24 at flea market...Thanks curt for the heads up on the location of speakers , i just put them there for know until I be ready to spend some $ on them...Ill keep u guys posted ..Later

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Welcome Aboard!

Wow, those 2B's look as nice as the day they came out of the box. I bought mine new in 1987 for about 9 times what you paid, and then had the crossovers upgraded a year and a half ago. I don't think I will ever part with them.
    VTL ST50 w/mods/RCA6L6GC/TlfnknECC801S
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    TT CJ Sonographe SG3 Oak/Sumiko LMT/Grado Wood Plat/Sumiko PIB2/The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020/Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    PSAudio Cryo PwrPrt Prem/ExctPwrEP15A
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

Thread Information