Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Adcom GTP-550

  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    137

    Default Adcom GTP-550

    I'm looking at getting a Adcom GTP-550. I'm going to use it for 2 ch. I'm thinking about this pre because it has a remote and has a bypass/direct feature. What are your thoughts on this pre

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    49

    Default

    I have no experience with the GTP-550, but had no real complaint's with the later GTP-602 I used in secondary system's. It was nicely built, convenient with both tuner/pre in one chassis, and decent remote. It's tuner was mediocre, but it was not a big issue for me as I live within city limits.

    BTW, the bypass/direct cuts tone controls from circuit, no biggie as in neutral positions, I could not detect any audible difference engaging the bypass feature.

    Regards,
    Mike

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    278

    Default

    whats the average rate for a used unit?
    fronts=rti12s(cherry)
    center=csi3(cherry)
    sub=psw125(cherry)
    emotiva xpa-2
    harmon kardon 354
    sony cdp
    ipod 8gb
    audioquest diamondback 1m
    "Maesto" straightwire cables
    pangea ac-9
    playstation3/120gb=blu-ray/media server
    monitor=lg 55inch lcd(1080p)
    TT Set-up=Pro-Ject RM 1.3
    Kenwood Phono
    bren1 Clamp
    Herbies Slipmat

    "It doesnt mean that much to me,to mean that much to you"

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (15)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Taking into account the HT bypass feature and remote, assuming it's in good shape, i'd pay $150-$200 for it.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    278

    Default

    would you say this unit would make a significant improvement in the stereo department vs running through my hk354 w/ my amp?

    reason i ask is theres several out there on ebay for pretty cheap
    fronts=rti12s(cherry)
    center=csi3(cherry)
    sub=psw125(cherry)
    emotiva xpa-2
    harmon kardon 354
    sony cdp
    ipod 8gb
    audioquest diamondback 1m
    "Maesto" straightwire cables
    pangea ac-9
    playstation3/120gb=blu-ray/media server
    monitor=lg 55inch lcd(1080p)
    TT Set-up=Pro-Ject RM 1.3
    Kenwood Phono
    bren1 Clamp
    Herbies Slipmat

    "It doesnt mean that much to me,to mean that much to you"

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tower Boss View Post
    I have no experience with the GTP-550, but had no real complaint's with the later GTP-602 I used in secondary system's. It was nicely built, convenient with both tuner/pre in one chassis, and decent remote. It's tuner was mediocre, but it was not a big issue for me as I live within city limits.

    BTW, the bypass/direct cuts tone controls from circuit, no biggie as in neutral positions, I could not detect any audible difference engaging the bypass feature.

    Regards,
    Mike


    Mike.

    I think that there is more to the bypass/direct/tone in button than having the tone controls in neutral. I could be wrong though.

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
    Taking into account the HT bypass feature and remote, assuming it's in good shape, i'd pay $150-$200 for it.
    Concealer,

    Are you referring about the GTP-550 or GTP-602? Also what is HT bypass.

    Thanks.

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (15)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rcrook317 View Post
    would you say this unit would make a significant improvement in the stereo department vs running through my hk354 w/ my amp?

    reason i ask is theres several out there on ebay for pretty cheap
    Eh.... possibly. You're going to give up some processing power, though. I would imagine the SOUND would be better, but it's outdated compared to the HK.
    Last edited by concealer404; 03-11-2010 at 06:30 AM.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (15)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POLKHT View Post
    Concealer,

    Are you referring about the GTP-550 or GTP-602? Also what is HT bypass.

    Thanks.
    The 550, i'm not as familiar with the 602. :)

    Sorry... i misspoke. This doesn't have an HT bypass. I forgot this was a surround processor. My bad.

    But otherwise, in terms of price, i was speaking of the GTP-550. :)
    Last edited by concealer404; 03-11-2010 at 06:29 AM.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POLKHT View Post
    Mike.

    I think that there is more to the bypass/direct/tone in button than having the tone controls in neutral. I could be wrong though.
    Maybe as I had stated that I had no experience with the GTP-550, just the GTP-602. The following was pasted directly from page 11 of the GTP-602 Owners Manual.

    [23] Bypass
    The bypass button provides a more direct signal path that reroutes the audio signal around the bass and treble adjustment circuits, thus providing a cleaner sound. The bass and treble functions are not in the circuit when the bypass mode is engaged.
    Regards,
    Mike

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Adcom 5500 worse than Adcom 545??
    By FutureAudio in forum Electronics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-23-2010, 08:58 AM
  2. For Sale Adcom white pre..Adcom white tuner
    By fbm211 in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-12-2009, 02:45 PM
  3. Need Help Adcom GFA 2 vs Adcom 535II
    By BigMac in forum Electronics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-08-2009, 09:09 PM
  4. Adcom 6000 or Combination Adcom 545 and 2535?
    By ccscanlon in forum Electronics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2009, 12:38 PM
  5. SOLD FS: ADCOM GTP-500 Pre-Amp & ADCOM GFA-545 Amplifier
    By dorokusai in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 08-30-2006, 09:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts