Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Dual subs

  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    81

    Default Dual subs

    My avr has only one pro out for the sub/lfe channel and im wondering if i wanted to use a 2-sub set up, could i just use i splitter for the sub cable to two subs? would using a splitter degrade the signal? right now im using a single sub but wanted to investigate more for the future. thanks
    Onkyo 808
    Emotiva XPA-5
    Polk Audio M70s fronts
    Polk Audio Cs1 center
    Polk Audio 50s surrounds
    Polk Audio 30s backs
    Polk Audio Psw505 sub
    Polk Audio Psw10 sub
    Oppo BDP-93
    PS3 slim 250gb
    Vizio 55" Led-lcd
    HTPC Evga P55/Intel i7-860/Evga 260 Sli

  2. #2
     Moderator 
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Polk Audio
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Hello Krauley,
    That would be no problem, just use a RCA type "Y" cable and send a second signal to the additional sub-woofer.
    Regards, Ken

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    1,318

    Default

    Y rca cable is the way to go!
    Sunfire TGP, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Sunfire 300~2 (2), Sunfire True Sub (2),Carver ALS Platinum, Carver AL III, TFM-55, C-19, C-9, TX-8, SDA-490t, SDA-390t

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southeast Va in the 757
    Posts
    3,574

    Default

    I see you have a PSW10 sub, I ran 2 of those for a little while, sounded decent once I got them set up ok, problem with the PSW series for H/T use they tend to get a little lost below 35hz, other than that I liked it. David
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

    Office stuff

    Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

    Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    Make sure you get the phase correct with two of them. They can effectively cancel each other out.

    Two of them are very particular to placement.

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southeast Va in the 757
    Posts
    3,574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vette C6.r View Post
    Two of them are very particular to placement.
    Got that right, I think Ive seen every square inch of my living room carpet..................up close.:p
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

    Office stuff

    Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

    Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    81

    Default

    great replies guys, i was just worried there could be some kind of signal loss by splitting but i agree with the "Y" working.

    Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post
    I see you have a PSW10 sub, I ran 2 of those for a little while, sounded decent once I got them set up ok, problem with the PSW series for H/T use they tend to get a little lost below 35hz, other than that I liked it. David
    yes i was watching the mist a few days ago and during one scene with a lot of shaking going on my sub completely let me down. it went into a rattling fit because i problably had the volume too high on it. other wise it has been a decent first SW for me.

    well that is now history, i pulled the plug on the psw505 today from newegg so i hope i can expect better results from it.

    this leads me into another question if you guys dont mind. with the new 505 coming i have no use for the psw10 other than selling it or using it as a second sub. ive read that having two different power rated subs is not going to work real well. so what are your thoughts on that: psw505 up front with m70s and the psw10 in back with m30s?
    also dont tell the wife, shes gonna kill me
    Onkyo 808
    Emotiva XPA-5
    Polk Audio M70s fronts
    Polk Audio Cs1 center
    Polk Audio 50s surrounds
    Polk Audio 30s backs
    Polk Audio Psw505 sub
    Polk Audio Psw10 sub
    Oppo BDP-93
    PS3 slim 250gb
    Vizio 55" Led-lcd
    HTPC Evga P55/Intel i7-860/Evga 260 Sli

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (36)

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Swauger View Post
    Hello Krauley,
    That would be no problem, just use a RCA type "Y" cable and send a second signal to the additional sub-woofer.
    Regards, Ken
    Y-cables are not the way to go. The signal is always degraded. I have tried Y-cables several times with crappy results. You can A-B it yourself for kicks.

    My recommendation is to use the left and right preouts for the front channels to feed your sub. Use the subs crossover to filter frequencies above 80hz or whatever your prefer. This will give you the best integration and the best sub bass. Make sure your run your left and right front speakers as large.

    Mike

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (5)

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    1,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolidSqual View Post
    Y-cables are not the way to go. The signal is always degraded. I have tried Y-cables several times with crappy results. You can A-B it yourself for kicks.

    My recommendation is to use the left and right preouts for the front channels to feed your sub. Use the subs crossover to filter frequencies above 80hz or whatever your prefer. This will give you the best integration and the best sub bass. Make sure your run your left and right front speakers as large.

    Mike
    I use shielded "Y" splitters all the time for 4 subs and never, ever have had a signal degrad with them. If you use a cheap brand Rat Shack "Y" splitter, then that could be a possibility. If the "Y" cabel is shielded, then no degradation.

    Bill

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southeast Va in the 757
    Posts
    3,574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krauley View Post
    great replies guys, i was just worried there could be some kind of signal loss by splitting but i agree with the "Y" working.



    yes i was watching the mist a few days ago and during one scene with a lot of shaking going on my sub completely let me down. it went into a rattling fit because i problably had the volume too high on it. other wise it has been a decent first SW for me.

    well that is now history, i pulled the plug on the psw505 today from newegg so i hope i can expect better results from it.

    this leads me into another question if you guys dont mind. with the new 505 coming i have no use for the psw10 other than selling it or using it as a second sub. ive read that having two different power rated subs is not going to work real well. so what are your thoughts on that: psw505 up front with m70s and the psw10 in back with m30s?
    also dont tell the wife, shes gonna kill me
    Good choice....I was looking at the specs for the 505, looks like its good down to about 23hz...not bad. I have seen people do this, I guess you could use the PSW10 as a mid-bass, if you decided to do what SolidSqual said in his post you could cross the 505 at 80 and the PSW10 at a higher freq....or......piss your wife of really bad and buy another 505.:p
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

    Office stuff

    Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

    Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post
    Good choice....I was looking at the specs for the 505, looks like its good down to about 23hz...not bad. I have seen people do this, I guess you could use the PSW10 as a mid-bass, if you decided to do what SolidSqual said in his post you could cross the 505 at 80 and the PSW10 at a higher freq....or......piss your wife of really bad and buy another 505.:p
    Oh how i wish i was man enough to do that! :p Thanks for the help guys. ill probably just set the psw10 aside for now and get the 505 set up and see what i got first. :)
    Onkyo 808
    Emotiva XPA-5
    Polk Audio M70s fronts
    Polk Audio Cs1 center
    Polk Audio 50s surrounds
    Polk Audio 30s backs
    Polk Audio Psw505 sub
    Polk Audio Psw10 sub
    Oppo BDP-93
    PS3 slim 250gb
    Vizio 55" Led-lcd
    HTPC Evga P55/Intel i7-860/Evga 260 Sli

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I'm running 2 505's with a splitter and they sound great, someday they will be replaced by a couple svs subs.

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southeast Va in the 757
    Posts
    3,574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krauley View Post
    Oh how i wish i was man enough to do that! :p Thanks for the help guys. ill probably just set the psw10 aside for now and get the 505 set up and see what i got first. :)
    Let us know how it sounds.
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

    Office stuff

    Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

    Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    81

    Default

    will do, sub comes monday so if i dont reply by tuesday that means i didnt get the sub by her and i leave all my hardware to science :P
    Onkyo 808
    Emotiva XPA-5
    Polk Audio M70s fronts
    Polk Audio Cs1 center
    Polk Audio 50s surrounds
    Polk Audio 30s backs
    Polk Audio Psw505 sub
    Polk Audio Psw10 sub
    Oppo BDP-93
    PS3 slim 250gb
    Vizio 55" Led-lcd
    HTPC Evga P55/Intel i7-860/Evga 260 Sli

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (36)

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post
    I use shielded "Y" splitters all the time for 4 subs and never, ever have had a signal degrad with them. If you use a cheap brand Rat Shack "Y" splitter, then that could be a possibility. If the "Y" cabel is shielded, then no degradation.

    Bill
    I've used Y-splitters from Blue Jeans Cable, Signal Cable and even Cardas. In my experience, the overall volume of the signal is reduced with a splitter and bass becomes more sloppy. Whatever works for you works for you, I just prefer using the pre outs to drive dual subs. To me it makes more sense in a system.

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (11)

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Dixon, IL
    Posts
    6,519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolidSqual View Post
    I've used Y-splitters from Blue Jeans Cable, Signal Cable and even Cardas. In my experience, the overall volume of the signal is reduced with a splitter and bass becomes more sloppy. Whatever works for you works for you, I just prefer using the pre outs to drive dual subs. To me it makes more sense in a system.
    Either way...the OP's AVR(Onkyo 604) doesn't have preouts...so a Y splitter would really be the only option to run dual subs on that AVR.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Good luck on your stealth delivery, krauley. I just replaced a PSW350 with the PSW505 (also from NewEgg) and certainly can tell the difference.

    -bruce

  18. #18

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceOrlando View Post
    Good luck on your stealth delivery, krauley. I just replaced a PSW350 with the PSW505 (also from NewEgg) and certainly can tell the difference.

    -bruce
    Cool, thanks. Im going to get busted though, my ups driver also comes thru the area between 3 and 4pm expect when im expecting a delivery, then he comes after 6pm. My wife will get here at 5:30 and ill get busted. i think she has a deal with him or something but i guess its my fault for being underhanded. but as i read somewhere in these forums..."its easier to get forgiven then to get premission". a motto i live by, at least until we get a new ups guy :D
    Onkyo 808
    Emotiva XPA-5
    Polk Audio M70s fronts
    Polk Audio Cs1 center
    Polk Audio 50s surrounds
    Polk Audio 30s backs
    Polk Audio Psw505 sub
    Polk Audio Psw10 sub
    Oppo BDP-93
    PS3 slim 250gb
    Vizio 55" Led-lcd
    HTPC Evga P55/Intel i7-860/Evga 260 Sli

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8

    Default

    I feel your pain, as I do believe that sometimes it is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask permission. Discussed the new Monitor 60's and 30's with the wife, and I pointed out the new Pinpoint mounts for the 30's -- but the new sub I just sort of slipped in there. The PSW350 was big and black, and the new one is just a little bigger.

    I work at home, so deliveries aren't an issue. However MY UPS guy, John, lives across the street from us. So if he ever asks, "hows the new sub?" in front of the Mrs., I'm a goner. :)

    -bruce
    Last edited by BruceOrlando; 03-15-2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: cain't spelt

  20. #20

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    81

    Default

    I really dont "keep" anything from my wife! all she has to do is ask! ;)

    Ive got my 505 hooked up but now im waiting on a empty house to beable to tune to my liking, so far im a happy polker:D
    Last edited by krauley; 03-15-2010 at 05:20 PM.
    Onkyo 808
    Emotiva XPA-5
    Polk Audio M70s fronts
    Polk Audio Cs1 center
    Polk Audio 50s surrounds
    Polk Audio 30s backs
    Polk Audio Psw505 sub
    Polk Audio Psw10 sub
    Oppo BDP-93
    PS3 slim 250gb
    Vizio 55" Led-lcd
    HTPC Evga P55/Intel i7-860/Evga 260 Sli

  21. #21

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Andromeda
    Posts
    14,230

    Default

    Reported mouse_ccv

    Spam

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Dual subs - NHT
    By ViperZ in forum Speakers
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-29-2010, 01:11 PM
  2. Dual Subs
    By austina007 in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-27-2006, 03:48 AM
  3. dual subs?
    By hexumjunkie in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 04:39 PM
  4. Question about dual 4 ohm subs
    By just in forum Car Audio & Electronics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-07-2005, 09:44 PM
  5. Dual Subs
    By GuitarheadCA in forum Subwoofer Hookup & Bass Management
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-27-2002, 03:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts