Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default hiding a dswpro 600 in a wall....

So I am building a theater with a false wall, I will have around 30 inches of space to build a cavity for the sub in.......directly above the cavity for the sub will be a built in for a tv.....I do plan on double drywalling and using green glue on this room......is there anything special I should know/do when I build this?

Should I have the sub be forward firing or downward firing?

Any special materials inside the cavity to dampen sound so it does not rattle the whole false wall?

Any input is appreciated.

jkg, Polk makes in-Wall subwoofers which are more suited for that type of implementation. Often times you can find them for cheap on the eBay store.

Onkyo TX-SR805

RTi8 | CSi5 | F/XiA6

dsw pro 600 is already bought.....actually two of them are......want to hid both to make room on stage for towers and center..... building a mitsubishi dlp into the wall.......

anyone?

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Well, I'll tell you this. That sub was not built to be put into a cubicle, it was built too remain out in the open. That said, all the advice we could give you will be lost in the end result of bad sound.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

what will the difference be if it becomes front firing, the port is on the same side as the driver....how will that effect sound if it pushes out towards the open area of the room?

Port?
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Page 4 of the owners manual tells you how to prepare the sub for a cabinet installation, which is pretty close to what your trying to do.
    I've tried the Pro-600 in the front firing position in an open room, and found I liked the down firing position better, because it had more punch.
    In the front firing position the remote control won't work due to the fact the receiver will be on the top face of the sub. Also the spacers that Polk gives you are not high enough to fit straight cables under the sub, so you'll need to get angle connectors for the power cord and the RCA cable, or just raise the sub some other way.

Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    Well, I'll tell you this. That sub was not built to be put into a cubicle, it was built too remain out in the open.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmydep View Post
    Page 4 of the owners manual tells you how to prepare the sub for a cabinet installation, which is pretty close to what your trying to do.
    Daggum, I stand erected. :o

I have not yet heard a sub that sounds decent in an enclosure. Too much "boom" and not enough room for the sub to breathe properly IMO. Sound waves need to travel, especially those in the lower octaves. Bouncing off closely bordered walls on 5 sides of the sub has got to be detrimental to the sound waves. The same theory applies to a main set of speakers.

Tom, you'll get no argument from me , I think it's much better to place a sub in an open room, but if you have no other choice, it might work ok......

thanks guys, ill think about just leaving them up on the front stage, to the left and right of the center....

Good Idea!!!

Thread Information