Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 76
  1. #31

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    0

    Default

    How it sounds to you is what matters. So while it seems large it could end up being the perfect size for you personally.

    You should double and triple check for leaks. A sound deadener inside (not that foil back stuff). The last box i built i went cheap and just went to Pep Boys and bought some rubber undercoating to seal inside and for a tiny bit of deadening. I did a before and after test and noticed the difference. But i applied like 4 or 5 coats giving each coat a day to dry. Ya, i know a cheap alternative and maybe not the best. Wonder how many others have used this cheap method. Oh i also made sure the speaker binding post was already installed and wires connected to it as quite a few have mentioned this to be an area of leaks. So i sealed that from the inside as well. Only problem is it required the carpeting to be installed first. So ended up masking up the front of the box to not ruin the exterior carpet.
    Last edited by catch22atplay; 05-29-2010 at 04:09 PM.
    Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 2007
    Pioneer DEX-P99RS, IPOD Touch 64gb, Rockford Fosgate T1000-4, T600-2 & T1500-1bd CP
    Polk Audio SR speakers, 6.5's, 5.25's, SR tweets and 2 SR124-DVC subs in 1.57cu ft sealed enclosures

  2. #32

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    239

    Default Update

    I've reinstalled the SR midwoofer once again...







    I love the MDF-plates! I even got a little improvement in the midbass...
    It's very good! Here's a little video of the SR's giving some great punch:

    Dream Theater - "6:00"

    Quote Originally Posted by catch22atplay View Post
    For a sealed box 59L would be .69 Q. Seems a bit low to me on the Q. You'll have to tell us how it compares to the 39L. I'd probably build it at 40L even to start. Which is real close to what you started with. If i thought it was a tad to boomy at 39L i'd probably try 45L next. If i thought it was way to boomy i'd try 50L. Oh were the measurements before speaker displacement or after? If it was 39L before counting the speaker you'd subtract 2.5L for 36.5L net giving a Q of over .8

    For ported i have no idea. But it doesn't look ported to me.
    The previous box wasn't that big; it was 35L without the sub - so 32.5 net...
    The new enclosed box will give the JL a net of 56.5L - I'll let you know the difference! ;)
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock

  3. #33

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    0

    Default

    Ha that looks like my last install. I sealed the crap out of everything just like you did. We may have both taken it a bit to far. But i can't argue about it as it sounded badass.

    I was so far off on my last post. Remind me not to use online calculators for thiel/small parameters again. 56.5L i bet will sound great. And ya, 32.5L was way to small for SQ.
    Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 2007
    Pioneer DEX-P99RS, IPOD Touch 64gb, Rockford Fosgate T1000-4, T600-2 & T1500-1bd CP
    Polk Audio SR speakers, 6.5's, 5.25's, SR tweets and 2 SR124-DVC subs in 1.57cu ft sealed enclosures

  4. #34

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catch22atplay View Post
    Ha that looks like my last install. I sealed the crap out of everything just like you did. We may have both taken it a bit to far. But i can't argue about it as it sounded badass.

    I was so far off on my last post. Remind me not to use online calculators for thiel/small parameters again. 56.5L i bet will sound great. And ya, 32.5L was way to small for SQ.
    Thanks man, I think it's a good install. Maybe "overkill" with all the sealing, but I've gotta say
    (like you said) it sounds badass, with three layers all over the door's inner and outer wall. ;)

    I'll let you know how the subwoofer will sound with 56.5L,
    I think it's gonna be great. This weekend I'm recreating
    everything in the back, and it looks like this is gonna
    be a very nice finish - if everything go well.
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock

  5. #35

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Careful what you feed the JL w6...they like the power :)

    They are a great sub.
    If you come to Canada, remember our bears like no foam lattes......thank you :D

  6. #36

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mahna Mahna View Post
    Careful what you feed the JL w6...they like the power :)

    They are a great sub.
    Yeah, I'm gonna use Genesis-amp on the JL as well.

    This one - picking it up at wednesday. :D
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock

  7. #37

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Now I'm almost done in the back of the car,
    and I'd like to hear what you guys think so far...











    As I said, still many things needs to be done...
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock

  8. #38

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    0

    Default

    Hey that look pretty sweet. But how does it sound?

    Both fans are blowing air up i take it? Or is one and or can one be wired to run backwards? Asking as i see no intake. Also are they always on or you get a temp sensor relay? I think i'm going with the Stinger fans and a temp sensor relay. They won't look good like yours. But they'll be hidden away more or less. I just need to find a not so bad looking grille.

    I was looking at what you had going on in Feb. Quite a few changes. Looking at your rca cables i see unbalanced rca from head unit. Then it goes to an rca adaptor? Is that a Balan and balanced rca after the balan? Although the one after looks shielded as well. And if so did that actually work? The new stuff i can't tell what you have for rca's. Did you get a Balanced line driver and stick it near the head unit and run balanced rca's? Maybe i'm over thinking everything as i don't even know if the amps accept a balanced rca input. But curious as i may get a balanced line driver and go balanced cables. I'll probably just buy Belden balanced wire and some rca plugs and solder them myself. But then again i may not as i have little time for installing.

    Oh and where's the spare tire? ;)
    Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 2007
    Pioneer DEX-P99RS, IPOD Touch 64gb, Rockford Fosgate T1000-4, T600-2 & T1500-1bd CP
    Polk Audio SR speakers, 6.5's, 5.25's, SR tweets and 2 SR124-DVC subs in 1.57cu ft sealed enclosures

  9. #39

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catch22atplay View Post
    Hey that look pretty sweet. But how does it sound?

    Both fans are blowing air up i take it? Or is one and or can one be wired to run backwards? Asking as i see no intake. Also are they always on or you get a temp sensor relay? I think i'm going with the Stinger fans and a temp sensor relay. They won't look good like yours. But they'll be hidden away more or less. I just need to find a not so bad looking grille.

    I was looking at what you had going on in Feb. Quite a few changes. Looking at your rca cables i see unbalanced rca from head unit. Then it goes to an rca adaptor? Is that a Balan and balanced rca after the balan? Although the one after looks shielded as well. And if so did that actually work? The new stuff i can't tell what you have for rca's. Did you get a Balanced line driver and stick it near the head unit and run balanced rca's? Maybe i'm over thinking everything as i don't even know if the amps accept a balanced rca input. But curious as i may get a balanced line driver and go balanced cables. I'll probably just buy Belden balanced wire and some rca plugs and solder them myself. But then again i may not as i have little time for installing.

    Oh and where's the spare tire? ;)
    Thanks man! It sounds really great, I noticed a little deeper bass
    and the Genesis amp has great "controll" with 845w rms (2 ohm's). ;)
    The JL sounds mighty in a big enclosure and a great mono amp...

    I don't use the XLR balanced cables anymore,
    I just use standard RCA directly from HU to amps...

    The spare tire is under my bed... :D
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock

  10. #40

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catch22atplay View Post
    Both fans are blowing air up i take it? Or is one and or can one be wired to run backwards? Asking as i see no intake. Also are they always on or you get a temp sensor relay? I think i'm going with the Stinger fans and a temp sensor relay. They won't look good like yours. But they'll be hidden away more or less. I just need to find a not so bad looking grille.
    Forgot this one. Both fans are blowing air in, directly into the amps.
    I don't know about wiring them backwards. The positive cable are
    connected to the amp's FAN-output, and the negative cable's
    grounded with the car. Works well, and the fan to the left
    (SR5250-midwoofers amp) is usually moving a little faster
    than the other one (to the Vifa Peerless') since it gets
    much hotter and the amp is steering its fan's rpm...

    Oh, and where does the air come out?
    It's 1 cm opening all the way on the side. ;)
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock

  11. #41

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Needed to protect the fans and the "window", so I got grills...

    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock

  12. #42

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    239

    Default

    What do you guys think about that? ^ After all, it's BBQ-season over here. :D

    Anyways, on thursday, the P88RS-II is on it's way, and tomorrow I'm pickin' up this:



    ^ Stinger SPV69. Pretty good battery, eh? My original Mitsubishi-battery isn't strong enough...
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock

  13. #43

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    0

    Default

    I like the grilles for protection and they look fine as well. I need my stuff to be stealthy and well protected from luggage etc. So we'd be doing very similar installs. As for the battery. At least yours and mine are both made by the same manufacturer. So it'll be fine. Stinger warranty is crap though. Odyssey or Kinetik imo. I opted for Odyssey as i have a battery store/service center 6 blocks away that carry them. So 4 year warranty, price, performance and convenience won out over Kinetic for me. Oh, you probably don't have Odyssey where you live either.
    Last edited by catch22atplay; 06-15-2010 at 07:12 AM.
    Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 2007
    Pioneer DEX-P99RS, IPOD Touch 64gb, Rockford Fosgate T1000-4, T600-2 & T1500-1bd CP
    Polk Audio SR speakers, 6.5's, 5.25's, SR tweets and 2 SR124-DVC subs in 1.57cu ft sealed enclosures

  14. #44

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catch22atplay View Post
    I like the grilles for protection and they look fine as well. I need my stuff to be stealthy and well protected from luggage etc. So we'd be doing very similar installs. As for the battery. At least yours and mine are both made by the same manufacturer. So it'll be fine. Stinger warranty is crap though. Odyssey or Kinetik imo. I opted for Odyssey as i have a battery store/service center 6 blocks away that carry them. So 4 year warranty, price, performance and convenience won out over Kinetic for me. Oh, you probably don't have Odyssey where you live either.
    Excactly, no problem to throw luggage and stuff there now (although maybe getting a grill for the sub?) :)



    ^ The battery is connected, did everything yesterday.
    The battery I got was not charged at all, so I charged it over the night.
    And by the way, catch, we do have a lot Oddysey-batteries here in Norway too. :)
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock

  15. #45

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    0

    Default

    Oh i figured Odyssey were mainly US and not widely distributed elsewhere. Er why wasn't the battery charged? An AGM battery should be charged when it left the factory and last up to 2 years given proper storage procedures.
    Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 2007
    Pioneer DEX-P99RS, IPOD Touch 64gb, Rockford Fosgate T1000-4, T600-2 & T1500-1bd CP
    Polk Audio SR speakers, 6.5's, 5.25's, SR tweets and 2 SR124-DVC subs in 1.57cu ft sealed enclosures

  16. #46

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Delhi - India
    Posts
    813

    Default

    Hey, congrats on the p-88.......in advance. You're getting it tmrw, right?

  17. #47

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arun1963 View Post
    Hey, congrats on the p-88.......in advance. You're getting it tmrw, right?
    Yeah thanks. It's gonna be sent tomorrow, yes, but it'll take a
    couple of days you know. Hope the Post Office is fast this time. :D

    How's the sound quality in the P88RS-II vs. the Alpine 9855r? Will I notice any difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by catch22atplay View Post
    Oh i figured Odyssey were mainly US and not widely distributed elsewhere. Er why wasn't the battery charged? An AGM battery should be charged when it left the factory and last up to 2 years given proper storage procedures.
    I don't know why, but it's charged now and works just fine! Nothing wrong... :)
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock

  18. #48

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Delhi - India
    Posts
    813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TakeTheTime View Post
    How's the sound quality in the P88RS-II vs. the Alpine 9855r? Will I notice any difference? :)
    Get the p-88 and install it. I have some vacation time starting next week. There is a thread here that I started about two years ago when I got my p-80rsII. If you promise to ignore my noobish ramblings on the first two pages, I'll update that thread on how to setup this unit.

    Take what you want out of it and then I'll wait for your decision on which is a better unit. Frankly, its not a fair comparison. L/R control makes a huge difference in sound. So if at the end you conclude that the sound from the pio is much better, it doesnt mean pio>alpine. Just that the pio has more tuning features. ;)

  19. #49

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    239

    Default

    One empty space, I'm gonna miss the 9855r...



    Sold it today, got $314. Bought it for $267, so I made a profit! :D
    Had to pay $392.5 for the P88RS-II, so this wasn't expensive...
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock

  20. #50

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Delhi - India
    Posts
    813

    Default

    How are u planning to run with the prs? Passive or active?

  21. #51

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arun1963 View Post
    How are u planning to run with the prs? Passive or active?
    Active of course!! ;)

    Just checked the Post Office's tracing,
    and it looks like the HU isn't arriving 'till
    monday and I'm going on vacation tomorrow,
    so I won't be able to install it before next weekend. :o
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock

  22. #52

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Why do you ask? Anything in particular I need to know? Or is it just "plug & play"? :D
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock

  23. #53

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Delhi - India
    Posts
    813

    Default

    No, just wanted to know how mad hatter I could get. Active means I can go further with the tuning bit. Let me know when you're ready to start tuning the prs.

  24. #54

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Yeah the active is a must-have for me, since I'm a SQ-guy and gonna compete in the beginning of July. :D
    Yes I'll let you know! By the way, what does "hatter" means? I am Norwegian you know...
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock

  25. #55

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Delhi - India
    Posts
    813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TakeTheTime View Post
    One empty space, I'm gonna miss the 9855r...



    Sold it today, got $314. Bought it for $267, so I made a profit! :D
    Had to pay $392.5 for the P88RS-II, so this wasn't expensive...
    So is the hole filled?........thats sounds so wrong. OK, Is the space filled? :)

  26. #56

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arun1963 View Post
    So is the hole filled?........thats sounds so wrong. OK, Is the space filled? :)
    :D Hey man, I was just about to post here. Just did this...








    Ah, and it sounds nice! I've done nothing with the EQ or TA yet,
    but I set c.o. to 50hz/30db's -> 80hz/12db's -> 2.5khz/24db's -> 3.15/12db's :)
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock

  27. #57

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    0

    Default

    Looks sweet. More tuning options to play with. That should really take care of the vocals now.
    Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 2007
    Pioneer DEX-P99RS, IPOD Touch 64gb, Rockford Fosgate T1000-4, T600-2 & T1500-1bd CP
    Polk Audio SR speakers, 6.5's, 5.25's, SR tweets and 2 SR124-DVC subs in 1.57cu ft sealed enclosures

  28. #58

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Yeah. I notice the warmer sound, and it helped a little on the harsh vocals - but it's still there. Where should I start?
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock

  29. #59

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    0

    Default

    I'd work on that right midrange first as it's so on axis vs the left one. You'll end up cutting the 1k and 2k ranges to start with. For me this is usually a long process as you have to cut so many bands and by different amounts. Then go back and change the ones you previously did as each band effects other bands. It's damn tedious. I always use a note pad and write everything down as you may have to start over.
    Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 2007
    Pioneer DEX-P99RS, IPOD Touch 64gb, Rockford Fosgate T1000-4, T600-2 & T1500-1bd CP
    Polk Audio SR speakers, 6.5's, 5.25's, SR tweets and 2 SR124-DVC subs in 1.57cu ft sealed enclosures

  30. #60

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    239

    Default

    I've tried different things now, and it is gettin' better! :D Tried sinus tones yesterday,
    and I learned A LOT about phases. I still have a lot to learn, so I'm getting som help
    by a pretty excperienced guy tomorrow. I'm gonna be ready for the competition! ;)
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. polk sr6500+sr5250 breakin advice
    By heXtant in forum Car Audio & Electronics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-09-2011, 09:26 PM
  2. Sr5250
    By Installer4life in forum Garage Sale
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-08-2011, 05:05 AM
  3. Sr5250
    By RSTERN in forum Car Audio & Electronics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-21-2009, 01:11 AM
  4. Polk SR5250 component speakers
    By zircon in forum Garage Sale
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 05:10 PM
  5. Looking for a single 10" sub at 300W to match SR5250, Polk Momo?
    By Nitewing911 in forum Car Audio & Electronics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-04-2007, 11:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts