Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: LSi9 or 15

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Since the LSi9 is only flat to about 53-55 Hz, I would set the crossover frequency at 80 Hz for the LSi9.
    80 is where I have my LSi 9's crossed over at usng a PSW 350 sub. Sounds great. I smell a sub upgrade coming in the next few months. I have to get the LSi center channel first though.

Paul

Paul,
    Did you try bi-wiring the 9's straight from the amp? I actually lived with the 9's with a single wire run for a few days and it didn't sound as good. I was able to tell the difference(same with the 800i's). Did the sound quality stay the same after passing through the filter in your PSW350? I was thinking about using the filter in my PSW650 but I'm not sure if the filter is of good enough quality. I'm currently running them full range and love the sound. It should be fun to try filtering them. I'll try it when I have time.

Maurice
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Receiver: Harman/Kardon HK3390
    Speakers: Polk Audio RT1000p
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Frank,

Do you plan on integrating the 9's with your present system ?

Or plan on putting together another system ?

I'm thinking on going with 9's and a 2-channel stereo setup only.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111

Polk-a-dweeb
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

Not too sure yet. I think I'll set them up in my living room and connect them via the Pioneer receiver for the time being. I've also got a Yamaha receiver in my bedroom that I may use with my 2 channel amp.

Decisions, decisions!:D
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Originally posted by begbie

I'm thinking on going with 9's and a 2-channel stereo setup only.
    They will handle that duty FINE. The LSi9 is (imo) the flagship of the line, and, when properly driven, can handle 2ch like a charm, no sub needed. I'm not going to get into a small-large-bass mgmt BS post, or debate 3db down ratings. We (as a general populous) have been running 2ch rigs full-range since the inception of 'stereo' with NO issues, as long as the 'assumed' rules are obeyed (clipping etc).

This you can quote me on:

The LSi9 is a phenomenal 2ch stereo speaker, when properly driven. Incredibly flat, and very detailed. Mid range is second to none, vocals come through (both male and female) with clarity and balance, and the bass is outright retarded for a speaker this size.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Maurice,

Did you try bi-wiring the 9's straight from the amp? I actually lived with the 9's with a single wire run for a few days and it didn't sound as good. I was able to tell the difference(same with the 800i's). Did the sound quality stay the same after passing through the filter in your PSW350? I was thinking about using the filter in my PSW650 but I'm not sure if the filter is of good enough quality. I'm currently running them full range and love the sound. It should be fun to try filtering them. I'll try it when I have time.
    The beauty of the PT5 preamp and why I fell in love with it is that besides being a B&K product, it has a sub output on the back of the preamp. The sub is filtered at 80 hz with a 12 db per octave slope. In addition it has preouts for full range for the mains and for high pass at 80 db for the mains. I use the 80 hz high pass with the sub so do not filter at the sub. this is essentially the same as running a receiver with the mains set to small and a sub. This is a great feature for a preamp in this price range that I didn't see with Adcom or NAD; hence my decision to purchase the B&K. I did try full range on the LSi 9's with the sub output on the preamp going to the sub but I found it a little "boomy" for my taste. Also generates standing waves and that's a whole different discussion with cancellation. Furthermore, I found the midrange to clear up a bit with the LSi 9 crossed over at 80 and letting the sub take care of the lows. This helps to free up power for the main amp to handle the mids / highs. Also extra insurance that I won't be sending low stuff to the nines which they may be sensitive too since some members feel that the nines are easy to bust (I haven't had any problems with this; never even heard the woof bottom out yet).

Paul

P.s. Yes .. biwire is the way to go..

Thread Information