Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Pioneer deh3000mp VS Alpine 9880r

Hello again and greetings from Norway/North-Europe :D

Tomorrow I am gonna get a new temporary head-unit: Alpine 9880r. Any experience with this, guys?
    The main reasons I get this is because of 3 rca outputs, more settings and functions + a nice design.
    My current CD-player is Pioneer deh-3000mp with only 1 output. But will I notice any difference in sound?
    Can I do much more with this that I could not with the Pioneer? Can I (for example) go active with it?

Thanks for all reply. :)

The hu and your speakers are the most important parts of your sound chain. You're set in one department. For the other, decide on what you want to do long term. Do you want to tweak and tune the sound to perfection or do you just want a plug and play solution?

A decent hu now with a good processor down the line (9880+bit 1) if youre going this route, I would recommend an hu with a digital out.The other alternative is a good 1 din hu with great processing capabilities pio-880 and last just a plain plug and play solution like the pio 7150 or the tough to find alpine 9887.

So what do you want to do? BTW welcome to CP. My roomate at uinv 23 years ago was a Norwegian from Tromso. Tell me this isn't a small world. ;)

Will the alpine 9880 sound better than your pio 3000? - Maybe.

will the Alpine 9880 let you tweak the sound to a decent level - No

Will it be a bump up in sound? - Yes cause you will have independent outputs for comps and sub. But thats about it.

revised opinion : yeah the 9880 would be a bump up from your pio.........but you can do better.

Quote Originally Posted by arun1963 View Post
    The hu and your speakers are the most important parts of your sound chain. You're set in one department. For the other, decide on what you want to do long term. Do you want to tweak and tune the sound to perfection or do you just want a plug and play solution?

A decent hu now with a good processor down the line (9880+bit 1) if youre going this route, I would recommend an hu with a digital out.The other alternative is a good 1 din hu with great processing capabilities pio-880 and last just a plain plug and play solution like the pio 7150 or the tough to find alpine 9887.

So what do you want to do? BTW welcome to CP. My roomate at uinv 23 years ago was a Norwegian from Tromso. Tell me this isn't a small world. ;)
    Just for now, I want a simple solution. "Plug and play" sounds good,
    the most important thing for me is sound quality speakers/drivers...
    I can get more into tuning etc. with a more fancy headunit later.
    Meanwhile, I stick with the 9880r (got a great offer) and smile. ;)

Will the alpine 9880 sound better than your pio 3000? - Maybe.

will the Alpine 9880 let you tweak the sound to a decent level - No

Will it be a bump up in sound? - Yes cause you will have independent outputs for comps and sub. But thats about it.
    I think it is gonna help with independent outputs, including one made for sub.
    Also, I'm gonna buy some new high-end RCA-kables, like this one: Dynabel.
    I think it'll satisfy me. Love the sound of SR5250 (midbass i starting to come too!). :)

revised opinion : yeah the 9880 would be a bump up from your pio.........but you can do better.
    Okey, but because of this special price I got now (50% of full price), I go for this in the meantime.
    In the first place, the most important thing for me is to have more outputs + some more settings.
    As long as I can set HPF & LPF from the headunit I'll be okey. And the SR crossovers does a good job!

It's almost like it's worth going passive just for the SR's great looks... :D

From what I could see, you will not be able to run active if you plan on doing it through that HU. If that's a feature you like you could check into getting one like mine. I was able to pick up a spare for 120 at CarToys a few months ago. Pioneer deh-p860mp is model number, not sure what it would compare to over there. It has almost everything you would want, and would be a hell of a temporary unit if you can find one used/online for a decent price.

TA, Active 3-way network, 13 band graphic EQ, BBE function (supposed to improve mp3 quality), 24 bit burr brown DAC, 5V preouts for high/mid/low. It also has a more traditional double knob design. Sexy, IMO.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

My vote goes with the alpine, do not like the pioneer quality.
    HT setup
    Dynex 40 inch tv
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXV
    Carver A400X
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Martin Logan Aerius
    Apple Tv 2nd Gen
    Logitech Harmony One Advanced Remote

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900

Quote Originally Posted by bigaudiofanatic View Post
    My vote goes with the alpine, do not like the pioneer quality.
    Yeah we know....:). The top end pio's have their quirks but are great stand alone sq units.

Now I have gotten the 9880r, looks good! :D

Thread Information