Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Tweeters for Monitor 5B

Both Peerless tweeters died and were replaced by SL1000. One of the SL1000 died on yesterday:(. Is the RD0194-1 best for the replacements

P.S. The crossovers were upgraded by Mills resistors and ClarityCap SA capacitors last year

The RDO-194 is the 'specified' replacement for the SL1000's, but since you have the Peerless Crossovers you would actually need to modify the Crossovers and the front Baffles to use them. I would just find a set of Peerless tweeters.

Quote Originally Posted by kcoc321 View Post
    The RDO-194 is the 'specified' replacement for the SL1000's, but since you have the Peerless Crossovers you would actually need to modify the Crossovers and the front Baffles to use them. I would just find a set of Peerless tweeters.

How to modify the crossovers? My crossovers have been upgarded last year:)

Quote Originally Posted by ANWKLO View Post
    How to modify the crossovers? My crossovers have been upgraded last year:)
    here is a link to the 'standard' Monitor 5 wiring diagram. If you compare it to your's, you "should" have an extra resistor on the HP circuit for the tweeter, as Polk added that for using the Peerless tweeters. I believe it is a 4.5ohm (+/-), but you might have a slightly different one. They did that.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/atta...6&d=1155784608

you can disregard the polyswitch (says "safeguard) as you already have fuses.

Quote Originally Posted by kcoc321 View Post
    here is a link to the 'standard' Monitor 5 wiring diagram. If you compare it to your's, you "should" have an extra resistor on the HP circuit for the tweeter, as Polk added that for using the Peerless tweeters. I believe it is a 4.5ohm (+/-), but you might have a slightly different one. They did that.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/atta...6&d=1155784608

you can disregard the polyswitch (says "safeguard) as you already have fuses.
    My Monitor 5B have:
    2.7 Ohm resistor
    6.2 Ohm resistor
    12uF Capacitor
    34uF Capacitor > changed to 33uF after upgraded

There are no polyswitchs, but have fuses.

The upgraded crossovers :
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89117

Do I need to change the 6.2 Ohm resistors to other value

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Slap some Peerless and you should be good to go.

When I was considered doing the crossovers on my 5As (with Peerless), Nick created the thread below. As you can see in the pictured crossover to Nick's 5Bs (also with Peerless).....the values are the same as you have listed.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81337

My Mon. 7B (with Peerless) on the other hand utilize a 4.5 ohm resistor rather than 6.5ohm
    Last edited by anton.chigurh; 03-17-2010 at 10:21 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by ANWKLO View Post
    My Monitor 5B have:
    2.7 Ohm resistor
    6.2 Ohm resistor
    12uF Capacitor
    34uF Capacitor > changed to 33uF after upgraded

There are no polyswitchs, but have fuses.

The upgraded crossovers :
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89117

Do I need to change the 6.2 Ohm resistors to other value
    This has been covered a lot before, but I'll say it again.

The Monitors with peerless should not use the RD0's for these three reasons

1) the peerless bezel was slightly smaller so the RD0's are not a direct fit. The tweeter opening has to be slightly modified. Not sure how the sl1000 was able to fit, but I don;t recall the exact size of the bezel on an sl1000

2) all peerless models have a different x-over from models that use the sl1000/sl2000/sl2500. So while your's had sl1000 replacements they are not correct for the x-over so neither will the RD0's be correct. Will they work and output sound? Sure, but they are designed to replace the sl2000.

3) early Monitors that used the peerless also used a different midwoofer and the x-over was designed accordingly. The RD0 was not engineered to replace the peerless.

FWIW

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

It appears (based on my 5B's which use the sl2000) you might be able to get rid of the 6.2 ohm resistor and just jumper that position. Then you;d have to carefully modify the tweeter opening since the bezel on the RD0's is larger.

By eliminating the 6.2ohm then the values are the same as the Monitor 5's that use the sl2000.

This is just a guess as I have never tried it.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

I had been under the impression that all the Monitor 5B had the SL2000 and the 5A used either the Peerless or SL1000 but apparently I am wrong. I do know that your 5B with Peerless have a different XO than my 5A with Peerless.

My 5A use the MW6500 what do yours have?

The cabinet volume may also be different between the 5A and 5B. I say this because the MW overlaps the PR on the 5A slightly with the MW being surface mounted and not recessed. I have not actually measured the cabinet size though.

If the cabinet size is that same as the other 5B and 5 Series 2 and the MW is the same, it should be possible to modify the XO to work with the RDO tweeter. You would still need to mod the cabinet.

Other options:
    find Peerless tweeters
    find SL1000 tweeters (but why)
    find another substitute: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87272
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade)
    Parasound: C/PT-600, HCA-800II; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i

HT:
    Denon AVR-888, Polk: RM7, PSW10, Marantz UD5005, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, DRA-825R, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S8, Monitor 5A, TSi100; Pioneer CT-6R, PL-530; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz PM5004, CD5004

Member Sales Rating: (19)

I know on 10s for example that the early Peerless ( Denmark made) use a different crossover then the later US made Peerless units. I also had understood (in the 10s) that the crossover on a 10A ( later US made Peerless) is the same as used in the early 10Bs with the SL1000s
    Keep in mind there are 3 different US made Peerless tweerters. They7 do not sound the same
    The SL1000 in identical to a Peerless in size and general apperance other then being silver and having a clear dome

You mention but why on the SL1000s. Three of us sat down (again) the other night and compared tweeters on RTA 12s. I have done this before and keep coming up with the same result as much as I try not to The RTA 12Bs and early Cs came with 4 different tweeters with the same crossover Two different US made Peerless, SL1000 and SL2000.

The peerless units sound very nice but almost seem to have a cap or lid over the top of the speakers that seems to limit the vertical stage
    The SL2000s are very clear but tend to emphasis the high end slightly No news flash there.
    The SL1000s were very open and natural sounding and transparent. This resuklt keeps happening as much as i do not want it to.
    SL1000s and 2000s do not sound the same at all. I know 1000s can be slightly bright n the wrong system so gear matters.
    As a side note. i did have a pair of 5bs with SL1000s briefly and was surprised how natural they sounded

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by geppy1 View Post
    The SL1000s were very open and natural sounding and transparent.
    Never heard them myself, but pretty much everything I've ever read says the sl1000s is a "terrible" tweeter. Interesting to read a different take.

I have no stock in SL1000s just telling you what a few of us heard. People who worked in the CE biz and also a guy who used to set up bands
    Polk made thousands of sets of speakers with them and I know the review of the early 10Bs was very very favorable with several positive coments about the tweeter. I did have a pair of warranty replacement 1000s made in the 90s not to long ago and they were very intense and harsh. The only difference i could see was they had a gasket between the faceplate and magnet. The ones I have had from 1984-85 seem more mellow.

I think alot of it can be ,well some people do not like them so they must be bad. The SL2000 is a very good example of this. I do not like them myself but can see why many do. Polk made 10s of thousands of speakers with them from 1985 to 1990. If they were so horrible they would switched ASAP, not 5 years later. The vast majority of people seem to have little problem with them. ( once again i am not a fan) I think it is the case of a very vocal and loud minority which makes it seem as though everyrone has a problem with them. You never kinow until you try.

The sl1000 and sl2000 are terrible tweeters, they have not aged well and back in the 80's and 90's gear that one would typically run with Polks didn't have the resolution available today at the lower to mid level gear.

That's why the sl2500 and sl3000 were introduced and why the RD0's are silk based. Sure, there are many who like the sl1000 and sl2000 but mostly they haven't compared it to a newer tweeter or perhaps aren't as critical music listeners. It's also a pretty large majority of people who feel the sl2000/sl1000 are lacking, not a vocal minority as you state.

YMMV

H9

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Find some used peerless tweeters.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by skrol View Post
    I had been under the impression that all the Monitor 5B had the SL2000 and the 5A used either the Peerless or SL1000 but apparently I am wrong. I do know that your 5B with Peerless have a different XO than my 5A with Peerless.

The cabinet volume may also be different between the 5A and 5B. I say this because the MW overlaps the PR on the 5A slightly with the MW being surface mounted and not recessed. I have not actually measured the cabinet size though.

If the cabinet size is that same as the other 5B and 5 Series 2 and the MW is the same, it should be possible to modify the XO to work with the RDO tweeter. You would still need to mod the cabinet.

Other options:
    find Peerless tweeters
    My Monitor 5 uses MW6500 originally, now changed to MW6502. Here is the photo:
    Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    This has been covered a lot before, but I'll say it again.

The Monitors with peerless should not use the RD0's for these three reasons

1) the peerless bezel was slightly smaller so the RD0's are not a direct fit. The tweeter opening has to be slightly modified. Not sure how the sl1000 was able to fit, but I don;t recall the exact size of the bezel on an sl1000

2) all peerless models have a different x-over from models that use the sl1000/sl2000/sl2500. So while your's had sl1000 replacements they are not correct for the x-over so neither will the RD0's be correct. Will they work and output sound? Sure, but they are designed to replace the sl2000.

3) early Monitors that used the peerless also used a different midwoofer and the x-over was designed accordingly. The RD0 was not engineered to replace the peerless.

FWIW

H9

The SL1000 is a drop-in replacements for the Peerless. The originally mid-woofer is MW6500, now changed to MW6502.

I know on 10s for example that the early Peerless ( Denmark made) use a different crossover then the later US made Peerless units. I also had understood (in the 10s) that the crossover on a 10A ( later US made Peerless) is the same as used in the early 10Bs with the SL1000s
    Keep in mind there are 3 different US made Peerless tweerters. They7 do not sound the same
    The SL1000 in identical to a Peerless in size and general apperance other then being silver and having a clear dome
    Which version of Peerless should I get?

You mention but why on the SL1000s. Three of us sat down (again) the other night and compared tweeters on RTA 12s. I have done this before and keep coming up with the same result as much as I try not to The RTA 12Bs and early Cs came with 4 different tweeters with the same crossover Two different US made Peerless, SL1000 and SL2000.

The peerless units sound very nice but almost seem to have a cap or lid over the top of the speakers that seems to limit the vertical stage
    The SL2000s are very clear but tend to emphasis the high end slightly No news flash there.
    The SL1000s were very open and natural sounding and transparent. This resuklt keeps happening as much as i do not want it to.
    SL1000s and 2000s do not sound the same at all. I know 1000s can be slightly bright n the wrong system so gear matters.
    As a side note. i did have a pair of 5bs with SL1000s briefly and was surprised how natural they sounded

"The peerless units sound very nice but almost seem to have a cap or lid over the top of the speakers that seems to limit the vertical stage. The SL1000s were very open and natural sounding and transparent"

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by anton.chigurh View Post
    Slap some Peerless and you should be good to go.

When I was considered doing the crossovers on my 5As (with Peerless), Nick created the thread below. As you can see in the pictured crossover to Nick's 5Bs (also with Peerless).....the values are the same as you have listed.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81337

My Mon. 7B (with Peerless) on the other hand utilize a 4.5 ohm resistor rather than 6.5ohm
    Yes, the values are the same as I have listed. That Monitor 5 crossover is fasten with plastic locks. Mine is fasten with screws.

Member Sales Rating: (35)

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    The sl1000 and sl2000 are terrible tweeters, they have not aged well and back in the 80's and 90's gear that one would typically run with Polks didn't have the resolution available today at the lower to mid level gear.

That's why the sl2500 and sl3000 were introduced and why the RD0's are silk based. Sure, there are many who like the sl1000 and sl2000 but mostly they haven't compared it to a newer tweeter or perhaps aren't as critical music listeners. It's also a pretty large majority of people who feel the sl2000/sl1000 are lacking, not a vocal minority as you state.

YMMV

H9
    I'll have to agree here. The SL1000 and SL2000 had their limitations and mostly haven't aged well at all.
    I've had to compensate for these flaws over the years with different gear to "smooth" them out. I've also learned their strengths and played them accordingly.
    My preferred tweeter is the old Peerless which is one of the major reasons I like Polk so much.
    Going through a couple of tweeters are ya?
    I'd check my fuse values to make sure they're the correct ones. Also, clean the fuse holder clips and make sure they have enough tension to make good contact on the fuse. They do oxidize over time.
    I've never blown a tweeter or a fuse on Polks in 3 decades plus. Quality amplification and wiring is a must.
    The M5 is a good speaker and I've had a few pairs of them over the years. Keep 'em up and running. The old Monitors are hard to beat.
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by HB27 View Post
    I've never blown a tweeter or a fuse on Polks in 3 decades plus. Quality amplification and wiring is a must.
    The M5 is a good speaker and I've had a few pairs of them over the years. Keep 'em up and running. The old Monitors are hard to beat.
    Harry
    I have bypassed the fuses since like you it's not an issue. I use a 14wpc tube integrated, updated caps, resistors and RD0's.........these M5's sound absolutely fantastic. The transformation by getting rid of the sl2000's and using some nicer, fresh caps has turned these into a brand new speaker. The M5 is very hard to beat.

H9

Other options:
    find Peerless tweeters

Is the MW Audio MT-4115: 1" Dome Tweeter best replacement for Peerless tweeters?

http://w.mawebcenters.com/midwestspe.../category/80/#

Do you know what year your 5B's were made. My 5A's were mfg'd in 1983 and use a USA Peerless 5514__. I believe the Peerless 7514__, which were made in Denmark, were used in earlier Polks. There may be inconsistencies and additional versions.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Parasound: C/PT-600, HCA-800II; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i

HT:

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, DRA-825R, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S8, Monitor 5A, TSi100; Pioneer CT-6R, PL-530; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz PM5004, CD5004

Do you know what year your 5B's were made. My 5A's were mfg'd in 1983 and use a USA Peerless 5514__. I believe the Peerless 7514__, which were made in Denmark, were used in earlier Polks. There may be inconsistencies and additional versions.
    The mid-woofer MW6500 marked Date 1 31 1979, there is no marking on the Peerless. How about the MidWest Audio speaker

1" High End Silk Dome Tweeter
    Cast aluminum plate

8 ohm is a great replacement for Polk Audio, ADS, Peerless and many more.
    4 ohm tweeter is a great replacement for DLK, Domus and more.

We had these custom made for us designed from the original Peerless 810665 tweeter.
    Very detailed and clear sound. We have been searching for years trying to find a good replacement for the famous Peerless tweeter and now we finally have it.

Specs:
    1000-20,000 Hz
    50 Watts RMS
    89 dB
    80mm x 115mm (3.15" x 4.53") Flange
    70mm (2.76") cutout

If your mid is dated 1979 then you need the tweeter marked 7514___ on back and made in Denmark. Very musical and more holographic then the US made one to my ear. That date is within a few days of my 10s The originals have silver backs with a couple of flat spots on the edge of the magnet housing. They come up on ebay . There are some on ebay right now marked 7514____ but they are later replacements. I have had these and they sound slightly different. The ones you need do pop up. As for the ones at Midwest speaker (which is 3 miles from me) I have zero experience with but would ask which one of the 4 different peerless did they copy? keith

If your mid is dated 1979 then you need the tweeter marked 7514___ on back and made in Denmark. Very musical and more holographic then the US made one to my ear. That date is within a few days of my 10s The originals have silver backs with a couple of flat spots on the edge of the magnet housing. They come up on ebay . There are some on ebay right now marked 7514____ but they are later replacements. I have had these and they sound slightly different. The ones you need do pop up. As for the ones at Midwest speaker (which is 3 miles from me) I have zero experience with but would ask which one of the 4 different peerless did they copy? keith
    This is my original Peerless tweeter:

The MidWest Tweeter stated "We had these custom made for us designed from the original Peerless 810665 tweeter" Is it this Denmark Peerless 810665 tweeter?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Peerless back.jpg‎
Views:	472
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	47595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Twe1.jpg‎
Views:	875
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	47596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Twe2.jpg‎
Views:	1054
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	47597  
    Last edited by ANWKLO; 03-19-2010 at 09:18 AM.

You probably will find a 7514___ stamped under the gasket. That is an early Denmark made unit. The other one was the replacemnt made up until around 2003 when the tooling broke and peerless said thats it game over. It does not have a hole in the dome. I found them to be a little more peaky then the originals.

Are these the original drivers for your Monitor 5B's and marked 1979? For my historical vintage Polk document I try to get the models and mfg dates straight but I am confused. I thought the Monitor 5B went into production in 1984.
    Stan

Main 2ch:

HT:

Other stuff:

Your right and those drivers are from pre 1980 (the gray cardboard stuff) I wonder if all his driver were replaced or the crossover??

Thread Information