Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Help I need a good sub for music

Hey,
    I have the LSI7's for mains and Lsifx surrounds and Lsic. However I spend a lot more time listening to music. I need help matching a sub with good musical qualities. I realize the PSW 505 is a good subbut some are saying it's not very musical. I am looking for a good sub that is musical. Budget is approx $300

Thanks for any help for can give
    PS: I'm still kinda new in the hobby, but my wallet has been around the block a couple of times.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Look around for a good conditioned used M&K sub with the sealed design. If you have to buy new,brand wise, maybe someone else can make a suggestion, but at least stick with the sealed design,just better for music. When it comes to a subwoofer's performance, so much depends on the cubic feet of listening area you are having to pressurize.
    Last edited by Polkie2009; 03-23-2010 at 06:41 PM.

I had a M&K v125 sealed with 12 inch woofer and it recently died (cry). It was top notch for music with the lsi9's. I bought a Best Buy def tech sub and liked it for a bit but I determined it played loud not low. Returned it and just got a HSU stf-2 and I am loving it atm. It usually takes me like 2 weeks to really evaluate a piece of gear though.

Quote Originally Posted by dhart86 View Post
    Hey,
    I have the LSI7's for mains and Lsifx surrounds and Lsic. However I spend a lot more time listening to music. I need help matching a sub with good musical qualities. I realize the PSW 505 is a good subbut some are saying it's not very musical. I am looking for a good sub that is musical. Budget is approx $300

Thanks for any help for can give
    $300 is a tough budget to work with for a decent sub. There's not a lot better than the PSW505 for that price.
    Moving up, the DSW600's are going for more than that on Polk Direct on ebay.

Main HT/2 ch:
    Pioneer SC-07, BDP-05FD, Emotiva XPA-5 x 2, XPA-1 x 2,
    Polk Audio LSi25, RTi12 x 2, LSi15 x 4, LSiC x 2, PSW1000 x 4,

MB HT/ 2 ch:
    LG 47LM5800, Pioneer SC-1523, BDP-23FD, Sony BDP-S790, Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5,
    Polk Audio LSi25,15, CSi5, LSiFX, PSW505 x 4

Listening Room 2 ch:
    McIntosh MC162, MC202, C15, C41, C42, MA6500, MA6900, MCD201
    Emotiva RSP-2, RPA-1, ERC-2
    Adcom GCD 750, GFP 750, GFA 5802
    Polk Audio LSi7,9, 15

Member Sales Rating: (40)

ANY Polk sub has, and always will be built for music. The new DSW and Micropro series are phenomenal muscially, and they can troll deep for home theater also. The PSW505 (and related 303 / 404 from the same out of print line) and also stellar choices.

Outside of Polk, and at your budget - check out the Allison Acoustics subs that Partsexpress is closing out, I got to hear a pair of the 10 inch models with LSi7's in a medium sized room, 2ch rig - and they were literally LOAFING, and the bass was tight and articulate. I'd like to have a pair.

You also might be able to bag a single SVS cylinder series sub (used), which I would also recommend, but you have to have a fast trigger finger, they don't show up often, and tend to disappear as quickly as they arrive.

Finally, keep your eyes open for Martin Logan, or Vandersteen on the used market - they might stretch your budget a bit, but you won't be disappointed.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Another vote for the 505, at $250 shipped it will be pretty much your best option, IMHO. It is a great sub for HT, but can also do a pretty good job with music as well.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

As I wrote in another thread...this is all about tweaking and placement and I'm essentially in agreement with RuSsman above. A lot of people just don't know how to set up their subs...overdrive them or have bad placement. All of that leads to a less musical sub.

Any of the subs above are decent....Martin Logan Dynamos are not bad either if you can get a good price. As xcapri says above....300 dollars is a tough budget..there are not a lot of choices in that range unless you go 'used'.

cnh

any opinion on psw 1000 matching musically w/ lsi7?
    PS: I'm still kinda new in the hobby, but my wallet has been around the block a couple of times.

You might have read from my thread that I said it wasn't the most musical of subs... It isn't the most musical sub, but that doesn't mean that it isn't good. I just got mine hooked up a couple of days ago, and I do LOVE it... especially for the price. If you are in the same budget I was (under 300), this sub can't be beat unless you spend countless hours looking for a used sub. I still say that this isn't the best at music, but for under 300 it is the best you can get. I looked at some velodyne and martin logan subs that were in the 400-500 price range and I have to say that I would stick with the psw505...... every day of the week. You can't beat this sub for the price when buying new. I have noticed that I enjoy it's musicality more and more as it is breaking in.

Oh, and I have to mention that my sub is in a poor spot in my room and I know that it makes a difference. It really is a great sub for the price.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

For music, you NEED a sealed sub. No ported sub will match the precision of the sealed one for music application. I am using two NHT SubTwo subs (two to compensate the room response) - the most precise subs I've heard.

Thanks everyone for all your input. I decided to get the 505 from newegg! Other than placement, how should I set up the sub to get best out of it? I listen 70/30 music. I am new to this audio-hobby.

Default Allison AL10 vs. HSU STF-2

"Outside of Polk, and at your budget - check out the Allison Acoustics subs that Partsexpress is closing out, I got to hear a pair of the 10 inch models with LSi7's in a medium sized room, 2ch rig - and they were literally LOAFING, and the bass was tight and articulate. I'd like to have a pair."

not to sidetrack this thread, but has anybody else heard this sub? How does it compare to an HSU STF-2? It looks very interesting...I am tempted to pick one up to try it but I figure I would have a difficult time unloading it if I decided not to keep it.

Thanks everyone for all your input. I decided to get the 505 from newegg! Other than placement, how should I set up the sub to get best out of it? I listen 70/30 music. I am new to this audio-hobby.
    Congrats on the purchase.... you just can't beat that price! Wish I could help with your setup question, but I too am just figuring this thing out.

Good luck, and enjoy :)

As for setting up your 505, hook it up via subwoofer cable to the Sub Out on your AVR to the LFE In on the back of your sub. Set the crossover at 120hz to start, volume knob about halfway up and tweak from there. Placement in the room is key too, so move it around until you get it sounding it's best. I got a 25' subwoofer cable from Best Buy to give me plenty of room to move it around and try different positions. Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D

What fronts are you using?I have rti12's and a polk 505.After alot of tweaking I am setting my Xover at 80

You wont be disappointed with a polk micropro dsw1000. Sadly I don't think NewEgg carries them anymore. They were selling them for just over $300 for a long time(with free shipping in the states).

My brother has one. They're sick! It doesn't go quite as low as the 12" subs but it hits hard.

My Fronts are the LSI7's just received the 505, but didn't have a chance to set-up the sub.

I don't know if because this is a polk site we aren't supposed to recommend other brands. I would recommend a bic f12 to you. I bought one solely on reviews. Amazing lows for the price. $170 if you shop around. BLT.com. But of course I recommend polk speakers no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by OKstate View Post
    I don't know if because this is a polk site we aren't supposed to recommend other brands. I would recommend a bic f12 to you. I bought one solely on reviews. Amazing lows for the price. $170 if you shop around. BLT.com. But of course I recommend polk speakers no doubt.
    I love polk stuff too but my sub taste needs a few thousand $$ to satisfy .
    So if you can afford to buy something (polks are great subs) .
    But I have to build the sub , its just a wooden box cut to size and a lumber yard will cut all the pieces for 50 cents per cut , all you gotta do is glue up the pieces at home .
    I use a seperate amp or a plate amp what ever has more bang for the buck .
    I use a old amp and a externall xover and used subs .
    I use Winisd (computer box program) to give me the dimensions and needed amp size .
    And yes my living room looks like a sound stage at a rolling stones concert , but when my subs hit it makes your stomach turn .

Thread Information