Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default World Cup Bragging Rights

If anyone is interested, I setup a group called "CLUB POLK" at http://www.wcpool.com/

If anyone is interested. At this point it's just for bragging rights but that could change. Just get your picks in before kickoff tommorrow
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin

Being Italian,You know I'm going to be partial to the last World Cup champs. That said, the team to watch this time is Argentina.

Yeah, Argentina can do nothing that would surpise me from flaming out in group play to winning the whole thing to Maradona hijacking the team bus and driving it into the ocean with the team, 40 hookers and 15 grams of coke... Like I said, I'm ready for anything from them....
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin

Agreed. Hell,World Cup is serious buisness....remember the Iranian team that shot an opposeing player in the head before he could score? Now thats a rough sport.

Or the Colombian getting shot 19 times for his own goal vs the US....

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Man, I hope Italy go out in the 1st round. Just do not like. They always treat the U.S. like chumps.
    Spain continue to impress me. Their style is more brazilian than Brazil. Argentina have the talent at striker, the Netherlands have the talent all-round.

Of the Group of Death with Brazil, Portugal, and Ivory Coast- whichever 2 advance could go all the way to the semi's.

Because the U.S. team is not in the same league as the others. We are kinda considered the Jerry's kids of soccer.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I'm in. I just need to be activated.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore

Quote Originally Posted by zombie boy 2000 View Post
    I'm in. I just need to be activated.
    Send JD 10 bucks,thats all it takes.:p:D

Oh... I'm in. Question - Do you have to predict all the way out? Or do you predict by stage?

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Argentina has some great players. But to win a team also needs a good coach.

My picks: Spain or Brazil. Watch out with England.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Because the U.S. team is not in the same league as the others. We are kinda considered the Jerry's kids of soccer.
    I know. I've watched in embarrassment since 1990. They're much better now, more consistent and confident.
    Also you don't see folks pushing Jerry's kids into the turf or elbowing them in the face. ;)
    I just hope Bornstein and Spector don't single-handedly give games away.

The Germans are snotty like that too, the Dutch, Spain were snobs even after the U.S. beat them and broke their streak last year.I guess if it's the only chance you can ever bully the U.S., you take it and run with it.

The English usually show class. We'll see how that plays Saturday.

I am going for the underdogs....North Korea all the way!! Last time they were in the WC (1966), the North Koreans defeated Italy to get to the quarter finals.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Quote Originally Posted by John30_30 View Post
    ... The English usually show class. We'll see how that plays Saturday.
    Maybe, maybe not, but certainly not that Beckham dork. They can have him back for good whenever IMO.
    Alea jacta est!

Basically you pick the wins/ties/losses of every game, for the knockout rounds you can put darn near any team anywhere (as long as they can theoretically get there) so the knockout round doesn't neccessarily need to match your group rounds... Off to activate peeps...

Silly bastard Dutch website screwed up my account, I'll get my Dutch friend to fix it... I think their just trying to rig the results...

Those Dutch....always so laid back.

Not expecting the Italians to go far really. The team is too old,all in their 30's. Argentina is my underdog pick,Spain is a heavy fav for most. That stadium is pretty neat lookin'.

Ok, I'm back into the account and only ZB is signed up. slackers, or are we a US only contigent stuck on the snoozefest that is baseball?

Seriously guys. I know some of you are soccer fans (or at least closet ones anyway).

Question... do we have to predict the knockout rounds now? Or do we wait until round-robin play is over?

Quote Originally Posted by Kex View Post
    Maybe, maybe not, but certainly not that Beckham dork. They can have him back for good whenever IMO.
    He's their Secret-Spy factor. ;)
    Kinda feel sorry for the old git. He played a 12-month schedule and just wore his old body out.

well, Bafana Bafana got on the board first against Mexico totally against the run of play. Mexico dominated everything but scoring so far.

Well, it should be all the way through the knockout round... Looks like it's just you and me ZomB

Well... bring it on. I assume you didn't pick a draw for the first match.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Default Big Event!

The first game of the soccer tournament gave the Internet its busiest day ever.
    http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/11/wor...rtner=yahootix
    Alea jacta est!

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I thought I would like to watch some of the matches. Maybe even taking a liking to soccer. But, after just a few minutes of the USA/England match, I had to change the channel because I heard the most annoying buzzing sound. Some kind of horns I guess. WOW, some people must really like their soccer to put up with that sound. I would mute it but I want to hear what the commentators say. Is it just me?

Yeah,I hate those stupid horns too. Damn things are constant,who has the wind to blow those things for so long ?

Quote Originally Posted by del44 View Post
    I thought I would like to watch some of the matches. Maybe even taking a liking to soccer. But, after just a few minutes of the USA/England match, I had to change the channel because I heard the most annoying buzzing sound. Some kind of horns I guess. WOW, some people must really like their soccer to put up with that sound. I would mute it but I want to hear what the commentators say. Is it just me?
    it's vuvuzela, a south african horn. they were thinking of banning that shyt before the tournament started. i'm pretty sure only south africans enjoy that shyt, i think it's an embarrassing instrument, if you can call that an instrument at all. soccer outside of south africa doesn't have that shyt, fortunately.
    Onkyo 805, RtiA5s, Csi5, Rti6s

Quote Originally Posted by gtu2004 View Post
    it's vuvuzela, a south african horn. they were thinking of banning that shyt before the tournament started. i'm pretty sure only south africans enjoy that shyt, i think it's an embarrassing instrument, if you can call that an instrument at all. soccer outside of south africa doesn't have that shyt, fortunately.
    Man, I'll listen to that ****e all day, every game and smile rather than have to sit through J.P. Dellacamera, Bob Ley, et. al butcher the commentary. Harkes is almost as big an idiot as them.
    Every time they open their mouths, they hurt the game.

My wife is a Paulista, so it's Brazil all the way. :D

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by John30_30 View Post
    Man, I'll listen to that ****e all day, every game and smile rather than have to sit through J.P. Dellacamera, Bob Ley, et. al butcher the commentary. Harkes is almost as big an idiot as them.
    Every time they open their mouths, they hurt the game.
    Sad, b/c Harkes was one of our first to play abroad. He was with Sheffield Wed. way back when iirc. I expect more out of him...
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Quote Originally Posted by jflail2 View Post
    Sad, b/c Harkes was one of our first to play abroad. He was with Sheffield Wed. way back when iirc. I expect more out of him...
    The guy was a very good player by U.S. standards. He hit one of the goals of the century for Wednesday back then, something like a 45 yard screamer against one of England's alltime great goalies, Peter Shilton, iirc.
    But when he gets behind a mike, nothing but dorkness comes out. He's like Bud light compared to the English guys' Guinness or Newcastle.

I do have to say about the vuvuzelas that it's the 1st time I've really felt like my Polk Surroundbar had true surround sound with them blaring out of the corner of the room. It was....inappropriate, but like the blues riff goes, I've only my own self to blame.
    Last edited by John30_30; 06-15-2010 at 01:52 PM.

Thread Information