Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ground Loop Hum

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Default Ground Loop Hum

I added a separate amp to my system and now I have a 60 hz hum. The hum disappers completey if I disconnect the front speaker pre-outs from my receiver to the HT bypass inputs on my pre-amp. I tried numerous different scenarios using different circuits, trying everything on the same dedicated circuit, different cables, unplugging everything, cheater plug, etc. Depending on what I did, I could increase the hum or lower the hum but never get rid of it entirely unless I either unplugged the RCA cable from my reciever to the HT bypass input on the pre-amp, or used a cheater plug on the new amp. Doing either of these would give me dead silence but of course I would like to use the HT bypass and I am not sure it's safe to run the amp with a cheater plug. I guess I was somewhat surprised that when I had all components connected to one power center on one dedicated circuit I still got a slight hum. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Member Sales Rating: (40)

The hum is more than likely related to a video source. Start disconnecting them one by one, Satellite, cable, playstation, etc to see where the issue(s) are.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Try unplugging the coax cable from your cable TV box and see if it clears up. If so, you may need to grab a Jensen ISO-MAX VRD-1FF. Did the trick for my system.

Yep, I forgot that I had the cable feed running through the power center. I disconnected it and 99% of the hum went away. So now now I can either not have cable, not be able to use HT bypass, or run with a cheater plug on my amp :D

Good idea on the Jensen, that's sounds like my best option. Thanks guys!

Member Sales Rating: (16)

No prob. Don't know if you use Bing Cashback but I found a new Jensen on Ebay for around $45 plus a few bucks for shipping and used Bing to get 8% cashback.

Here's the listing I bought from. No affiliation.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CABLE-TV-GROUND-...item5885215b7a

BTW, he has best offer but I made 3 offers and they were all automatically rejected. My highest offer was $40 and at that point, I got more savings from using Buy It now with the cashback.
    Last edited by dpowell; 03-27-2010 at 02:43 PM.

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

Just to add to the above suggestions, I've had ground loop issues in the past that were resolved with better ICs all around. This is especially true of using a step-up transformer in the turntable path. Although this wasn't so much a ground loop hum it was a 60 cycle hum and I was able to eliminate it using MIT Shotgun S3s and with Joe Abrams' suggestion of twisting 8 twists into the pair really got rid of the hum.
    Last edited by hearingimpared; 03-27-2010 at 03:20 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

I used this to solve the cabel hum

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=180-075
    2. CH: Rega P3-24, Oppo BDP 95, Rogue Ninety Nine Magnum, Rogue Stereo 90, Tyler Linbrook Sig. Monitors, Audio Art Cables, APC H15

Thread Information