Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Default Looking for a recommendation for a “mini system” for my bedroom

I’m looking for a system for my bedroom for 2-channel, however I may add a tv in the future for HT although music is the main priority. I’m looking for something musical and would prefer the compact size of bookshelves. For now I’m looking to play digital music through a server/mp3 and perhaps a cd player. Can someone recommend a quality set up that is economical? If practical, I would love to utilize the “Zone 2” on my Onkyo AVR to power everything. Folks have recommended the Lsi 7’s or 9’s to me, but I know these are 4 ohm. Can I use these with my current set up or do I need a separate set up for this? I’m looking for recommendations for everything from power, source ,speakers, etc. My bedroom is 12'x16'Thanks.

emotiva xpa-2
    emotiva xpa-3
    Denon 3312ci
    Rtia9 /csia6 / FXi A6
    Samsung LN46A650
    SVS PB-12-NSD sub

Audio Research SP-9 MKIII (GNSC mods)
    W4S ST250
    Lsi 9 (mods)
    W4S DAC-2
    Mac Mini
    Audio Aero Prima CD player
    Pro-Ject debut

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by bklynNupe View Post
    I’m looking for a system for my bedroom for 2-channel, however I may add a tv in the future for HT although music is the main priority. I’m looking for something musical and would prefer the compact size of bookshelves. For now I’m looking to play digital music through a server/mp3 and perhaps a cd player. Can someone recommend a quality set up that is economical? If practical, I would love to utilize the “Zone 2” on my Onkyo AVR to power everything. Folks have recommended the Lsi 7’s or 9’s to me, but I know these are 4 ohm. Can I use these with my current set up or do I need a separate set up for this? I’m looking for recommendations for everything from power, source ,speakers, etc. My bedroom is 12'x16'Thanks.
    A pair of Monitor 40's would work fine in your case and not cost too much.
    Your Onkyo Zone 2 would power them just fine.

For a small bedroom system, I have a pair of LSi7's powered by a HK3490.
    Last edited by xcapri79; 03-28-2010 at 11:38 PM.

I would go with something like the nad 315bee integrated amp. And a pair of rtia1 or a3 (rti4 if you can find them).

The nad amp is top notch and would pair up very nicely to the rti bookshelfs.

Good luck,

ed

I have the A3's and tey are pretty nice overall. They need a sub to fill in the bottom end really. I think that they would be great in a zone 2 system. They will are 8 ohms and would be fine. The LSI's are 4 so you may need an external amp in the second zone to power them as needed. Does the Onk have speaker level outputs for zone 2 or pre-outs?
    Front - RTiA5's
    Rear - RTiA3's
    Center - CSiA4
    Sub - PSW110

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

A3s would do ya with the Onkyo! For something different you might want to listen to some Dali Concept Twos...there were a couple on sale on the Audiogon for around 250...if you could get that price down....a bit, they're also a decent bookshelf.

cnh

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Look into some Paradigm mini monitors, personally one of the finest all around sounding bookshelves out there for the price.
    Most of them only hear how loud it sounds, and the rest of us hear everything else -

I would look for some classic SDA-CRS - great sounding speaker - the paradigms mentioned above are nice too

Quote Originally Posted by packetjones View Post
    The LSI's are 4 so you may need an external amp in the second zone to power them as needed. Does the Onk have speaker level outputs for zone 2 or pre-outs?
    There are no pre-outs for Zone 2. I guess the Onkyo couldn't handle the LSI's even though none of the Onkyo power is currently being used given my external amps?
    I was trying to avoid adding a sub, I was hoping the right set of bookshelf speakers could handle this? Maybe I need to understand what a smaller system should do.
    My apologies, but my only reference for a bookshelf system my current 15 year old Sony cd, radio tape with detachable speakers found in most college dorms.
    I also failed to mention that the approximate budget I have is 400 – 1200.

emotiva xpa-2
    emotiva xpa-3
    Denon 3312ci
    Rtia9 /csia6 / FXi A6
    Samsung LN46A650
    SVS PB-12-NSD sub

W4S ST250
    Lsi 9 (mods)
    W4S DAC-2
    Mac Mini
    Pro-Ject debut

ok i'm gonna read up on some of the recommendations.
    Still open to alternate ways to approch this "mini system" other than using the Zone 2 on the Onkyo. I just thought It would be a shame to see this feature go to waste if I now want to add music to a 2nd room. However, I don't want to limit myself. As I mentioned before, I am also concerned about running 50' of speaker wire.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

A cheap great bookself speaker is the Monitor 5's with peerless tweets. Hook them up to your receiver for the second zone and you are good to go for around a hundred or less. If you want a great bookself then find the SDA CRS+ speakers. They are outstanding. You are looking in the area of between 300-400 hundred dollars but are well worth it. They also can be run with your receiver.
    Polk HT system 1: LSIC, LSI25 mains, LSI F/X rears, Lsi F/X rear centers, Lsi 7's presence speakers,
    Yamaha RX-V2500 System, Sunfire grand 5 channel, Carver A753 3 channel amp.

Polk HT system 2: ,Polk CS1000 center, Polk cs400rear center, Polk RT800 mains stacked with RT55's, Polk F/X 1000 rears running on a Yamaha RX-V2200

Polk Speaker collection: SDA SRS 1.2tl x 2, SRT system, SDA SRS 2 P/B, SDA 2A, SDA 1C Studio, SDA CRS+, Monitor 12 series 2, 7B & 4, SRS 3.1tl, RTA 15tl

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Agree about the 5's...great speaker for the size! I had 5's in my bedroom, but upgraded to 7C's with new caps and RDO's. The 5's went to the second zone terminals and now used in my bathroom....I have problems, I know!...ha ha Can't go wrong for the size and price.

I would keep an eye out for a set of SDA CRS+, they are about 10x12x20 (smallish) but will fill the room with volume and also do well at low volume background music.
    Polk Audio RTA 12c's, Monitor 7c, Monitor 5JR+, SDA CRS+

So should I consider Monitor 5’s or 7’s over Lsi7’s or 9’s ?
    I have no clue what any of these sound like. I’m also not sure about what direction to go regarding the amplification. Overall I’m looking for something with excellent sound quality but with a compact footprint.
    I see a guy selling 7’s on the ‘gon asking 275. Is this high? He says they have the cross-over cap upgrade kit installed and new Polk OEM foams on all speakers.
    A little over a year in this and I thought I knew a little something, I have to admit that I’m clueless as how to proceed with this bedroom “mini-system” project of mine. I don’t want to overspend, but I also don’t want to buy something that is going to sound like a fancy overpriced boom box in a couple of weeks.

Also, is this Earthquake Sound IQuake worth the money?
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/ipod-...ry-review.html

Comments are greatly appreciated.

emotiva xpa-2
    emotiva xpa-3
    Denon 3312ci
    Rtia9 /csia6 / FXi A6
    Samsung LN46A650
    SVS PB-12-NSD sub

W4S ST250
    Lsi 9 (mods)
    W4S DAC-2
    Mac Mini
    Pro-Ject debut

I have to say rti6 is hands down the best for small room 2 channel on the cheap . For like $170 you can have amazing sound , I remember buying a pair and how amazed I was listening in a room bigger than yours

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I don't believe any Monitor 7's had foam surrounds. 275.00 for M7's is high. They would have to be in pristine condition with the stands and even then it would be high. If you don't care about the Onkyo then you have many choices. The Lsi series is 4 ohm. They are excellent especially the Lsi 9's for a bedroom. I would go with Lsi 9's or Monitor 5's. The Monitor 7's are large and any speaker that needs a stand I don't consider a bookself speaker. Another great sleeper Polk speaker in my opinion is the RT 55 but that it is also fairly large. If it was up to me I would buy a vintage Luxman R-117 receiver that has 160 watts of power at 8 ohms and can go down and drive 4 ohm speakers with ease. That receiver is a personal favorite of mine. Then I would buy the Lsi 9's which has the best tweeter Polk has ever made or Monitor 5's for a small footprint. The SDA CRS+ speakers are large but may be the best all around Polk bookself speaker ever made. I would look for any of those speakers mentioned. You can't go wrong with any of these choices.
    Polk HT system 1: LSIC, LSI25 mains, LSI F/X rears, Lsi F/X rear centers, Lsi 7's presence speakers,
    Yamaha RX-V2500 System, Sunfire grand 5 channel, Carver A753 3 channel amp.

Polk HT system 2: ,Polk CS1000 center, Polk cs400rear center, Polk RT800 mains stacked with RT55's, Polk F/X 1000 rears running on a Yamaha RX-V2200

Polk Speaker collection: SDA SRS 1.2tl x 2, SRT system, SDA SRS 2 P/B, SDA 2A, SDA 1C Studio, SDA CRS+, Monitor 12 series 2, 7B & 4, SRS 3.1tl, RTA 15tl

Thanks everyone.
    bluecomet, I leaning towards the Lsi9's. The comments lead me to believe they one day might be Polk classics. Now I just have to call Polk and see when will be the next time these will be offered as refurbs.
    Anyone out there care to offer me a deal on some, shoot me a pm.

I'll read up on the Luxman as well. Thanks

emotiva xpa-2
    emotiva xpa-3
    Denon 3312ci
    Rtia9 /csia6 / FXi A6
    Samsung LN46A650
    SVS PB-12-NSD sub

W4S ST250
    Lsi 9 (mods)
    W4S DAC-2
    Mac Mini