Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    30,444

    Thumbs up Pink Floyd Win High Court Battle Against EMI

    http://www.spinner.com/2010/03/11/pi...against-emi%2F

    I applaud Pink Floyd, AC/DC and Garth Brooks for their decision not to make their music available via digital download stores as they are part of what is killing the music business.

    Just yesterday, I went to visit one of the few true record shops left around here and it was closed, out of business. The reason, digital downloads.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (3)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,252

    Default

    Agreed. Our local shop here appears to be heading down the same path. It's sad to see their stock dwindling like it is, but I guess they just can't compete with the digital dls and online purchasing. I'd rather buy my music there, even if it costs a couple more bucks. The variety was always worth the extra cash, but unfortunately not anymore...
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

    2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

    2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ


    "It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (26)

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The tube lair in Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    11,305

    Default

    *claps hands and gives a standing ovation*
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

    "The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (36)

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    http://www.spinner.com/2010/03/11/pi...against-emi%2F

    I applaud Pink Floyd, AC/DC and Garth Brooks for their decision not to make their music available via digital download stores as they are part of what is killing the music business.

    Just yesterday, I went to visit one of the few true record shops left around here and it was closed, out of business. The reason, digital downloads.
    Digital Downloads are not killing the music business. A high rez digital file will sound as good or better than its hardcopy when properly implemented in a synergized system.

    Your gripe is with young kids choosing convenience over quality. And actually, the real culprits of this mess are engineers and artists who are more concerned about recording a song quickly and rushing it to market in the most convenient method possible with more concern for making a buck than tuning a note.

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (12)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    http://audiomilitia.proboards.com
    Posts
    12,390

    Default

    Plus 1 to all the above.... sadly however, the genie is already out of the bottle. She has opened Pandora's Box and left the barn door open. Unfortunately there is no way to set everything right again and the decline will only continue because the record labels do not have to actually produce anything(CD/Vinyl) employ thousands of workers to produce them and tens of thousands to distribute them.

    The End is near regardless of a court descision.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.


    "Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    30,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolidSqual View Post
    Digital Downloads are not killing the music business. A high rez digital file will sound as good or better than its hardcopy when properly implemented in a synergized system.
    I said it is part of the reason and I did not say anything about the quality, although I have yet to hear a digital file on a rig that sounds better than a hardcopy played on my rig.

    Your gripe is with young kids choosing convenience over quality.
    No, my gripe is people choosing convenience over the experience. There's a lot to be said for hanging out, perusing the bins at your local record store. You get exposure to music you might not have otherwise. You get to make new friends. You get out of the house and burn a few calories. You build a relationship with the store employees, which has paid off for me more than once in discounts, heads ups and returns.

    And actually, the real culprits of this mess are engineers and artists who are more concerned about recording a song quickly and rushing it to market in the most convenient method possible with more concern for making a buck than tuning a note.
    Sadly, I agree.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (21)

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Deep Down the Rabbit Hole
    Posts
    9,610

    Default

    I am pretty sure young people are dumb because my father told me so.

    RT1
    REEL TIME THEATRE
    Onkyo-TX-NR5007
    B&K 7270 amplifier
    Polk SWA-500 Subwoofer amplifier
    OppO BDP-83
    Pioneer Elite 50"
    Polk LCi-RTS-105;LCi-RTS-C;LCi-RTSFx;LCi80Fx
    Subs-Twin Polk CSW200
    HTS5000


    RABBIT HOLE RIG
    BAT VK-31SE
    VTL MB-450 Signature monoblock
    Wolcott Presence monoblock
    Musical Fidelity kW SACD
    Rega P25/RB600/Clearaudio Aurum Beta
    Acoustech Phono-Pre
    Sound Lab Millenium ELS
    BillyBags Rack
    MIT S1/3 cables
    Shunyata/PS Audio/Virtual Dynamics Power Cords


    Everthing Matters...Tubes Rule...and It's Over until it's Not Over

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (36)

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    No, my gripe is people choosing convenience over the experience. There's a lot to be said for hanging out, perusing the bins at your local record store. You get exposure to music you might not have otherwise. You get to make new friends. You get out of the house and burn a few calories. You build a relationship with the store employees, which has paid off for me more than once in discounts, heads ups and returns.
    I get this to an extent for sure. Back when I was hard into vinyl, I spent lots of time meeting other audiophiles in a local well stocked record shop. That being said, perusing for music and finding new artists is much more efficient and easy via sites like Pandora. A record shop just can't compare in this respect. I find myself leaving Pandora on while I work and writing down the names of artists I enjoy. Then, I go online and buy the CD off Amazon for a price cheaper than any record store.

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (36)

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reeltrouble1 View Post
    I am pretty sure young people are dumb because my father told me so.

    RT1
    Old people have no hearing . . .

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southeast Va in the 757
    Posts
    3,574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    No, my gripe is people choosing convenience over the experience. There's a lot to be said for hanging out, perusing the bins at your local record store. You get exposure to music you might not have otherwise. You get to make new friends. You get out of the house and burn a few calories. You build a relationship with the store employees, which has paid off for me more than once in discounts, heads ups and returns.
    I have 3 kids, and boy did that statement hit home. Im not a big fan of the mall, but when I do go I usually spend some time in the FYE store....I love thumbing through music and actually see what im buying.
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

    Office stuff

    Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

    Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (26)

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The tube lair in Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    11,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolidSqual View Post
    Old people have no hearing . . .
    Whaaat Shunny? You bescht lock those lipsch of yours or I'll have my son hit you wif me cane!
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

    "The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    1,293

    Default

    I just asked my 17yr old daughter and her two freinds......why don't you buy CD's, instead of downloading........their answer was " Dad (Mr. D), why buy the whole CD when you want just 1 song".... I can't argue with that.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmydep View Post
    I just asked my 17yr old daughter and her two freinds......why don't you buy CD's, instead of downloading........their answer was " Dad (Mr. D), why buy the whole CD when you want just 1 song".... I can't argue with that.
    I can. Often times the single that the 17 yr old purchases is because it was spoon fed to them.

    I can't tell you how many times there were songs much better on the CD than the single that was put in top 40 rotation.

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (26)

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The tube lair in Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    11,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jinjuku View Post
    I can't tell you how many times there were songs much better on the CD than the single that was put in top 40 rotation.
    518 posts and finally we agree on something?
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

    "The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    115

    Default

    "Come in here Dear Boy have a cigar - you're gonna go far!"
    AVR: Denon 1910
    Mains: Polk TSi300
    Center: Polk CS10
    Sub: Polk PSW110
    Video: Sharp Aquos LED LC-52LE700UN
    BDP: Sharp BD-HP22U

  16. #16
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    518 posts and finally we agree on something?
    I have no idea what took you so long to come around:p

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (3)

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    363

    Default

    It will be a sad day for me when my record store closes. I prefer to have the original store it as my master copy. I think it's awesome they made a stand against the digital downloads. People will pirate the music anyway but at least they know they didn't condone it and that they don't agree to it.

  18. #18

    Member Sales Rating: (47)

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sufficiently Breathless
    Posts
    11,098

    Default

    Eh,, tubes rule
    Attached Images  
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (11)

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Dixon, IL
    Posts
    6,519

    Default

    I applaud this!! That's awesome!!

    The ONLY music store(FYE) near me closed down recently. The reason? A huge decline in sales, which was most likely due to digital downloads in big part.

    When I say that this was the ONLY music store near me...I mean it. Aside from Walmart(which has the most dismal CD selection imaginable), the closest place I can go to buy a CD is about 50 miles away, in Rockford, Illinois. Yes...50 miles. Both ways.

    Seriously...If I want to go pick up a couple CD's, it involves a couple hour round trip. This makes me mad.

    I don't download music, never have downloaded music, and most likely never will. It simply doesn't appeal to me. Even putting aside the quality, I just prefer the experience. I like to own albums.

    Now, I can't just run to the store real quick on a whim and go grab a couple new CD's. It's pointless to check the CD section at Walmart...since they have next to nothing I want to buy. Now, I've got to drive about 100 miles round trip, spend 10-15 bucks on gas, drive for 2 hours and waste a big part of my day.

    I very rarely buy CD's online...because I like the instant gratification of going to a record store, browsing the racks, picking a few out, and going home and listening to them then and there. If there's something in particular that I want, and I can't find it locally, I'll buy online...but this is very rare.


    So, due to digital downloads, it is now a much bigger pain in the ass for me to enjoy this hobby.


    As others have said...many people use the "I only wanted one song" justification for downloading music.

    Many times I've bought a CD because there was one song in particular that I wanted...the big "radio" song or whatever. Most of the time, you get the CD, listen to that one song first...and THEN....you discover that the rest of the album is EVEN BETTER than that one song. This is what you're missing out on by downloading individual tracks.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

  20. #20

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    30,444

    Default

    Most of the time, you get the CD, listen to that one song first...and THEN....you discover that the rest of the album is EVEN BETTER than that one song. This is what you're missing out on by downloading individual tracks.
    Ding, ding, ding....we have a WINNER!!!
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  21. #21

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Salem, Oregon (Polk county!)
    Posts
    4,116

    Default

    Yes, and just as important as finding songs on the album that are better than the single that was released is the fact that there are quite a few albums out there that were created with the intent of being heard as a whole. That is, actually pulling out your album, CD, reel to reel tape, etc. and listening to the entire album the entire way through.

    However, with todays music you don't get that type of creative writing and performing anymore. In a way I guess downloading a single is befitting the quality of music that is released today (at least mainstream music).

    Greg
    Last edited by headrott; 03-12-2010 at 01:53 AM.

  22. #22

    Member Sales Rating: (11)

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Dixon, IL
    Posts
    6,519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    Yes, and just as important as finding songs on the album that are better than the single that was released is the fact that there are quite a few albums out there that were created with the intent of being heard as a whole. That is, actually pulling out your album, CD, reel to reel tape, etc. and listening to the entire album the entire way through.

    However, with todays music you don't get that type of creative writing and performing anymore. In a way I guess downloading a single is befitting the quality of music that is released today (at least mainstream music).

    Greg

    Ding ding!! Another winner!!


    Take Dark Side Of the Moon for example. That album is meant to be listened to in it's entirety. It's not about singles, or even individual songs in the traditional sense. DSOTM is a constantly flowing musical work of art. I couldn't imagine popping in DSOTM and not listening to the whole thing.

    Getting on iTunes and downloading "Money" is not the same as going out and buying DSOTM on SACD.

    I generally don't pop in a CD for just a song or two. For the most part, I listen to entire albums. There's nothing like pushing play, turning the lights down...kicking back and getting lost in an album for an hour.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

  23. #23

    Member Sales Rating: (5)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Curbside, NJ
    Posts
    693

    Default

    Well there is at least a handful left that are willing to stand up. Quite a mix of artists there.
    Parasound C1, T3, HCA-3500, HCA-2205A, P/DD1550, Pioneer DV-79avi, Oppo BDP-83, WD Media Server W/HDD,
    Dynaudio Contour 3.3, Dynaudio Contour T2.1, Polk OWM3, Polk DSW micropro 1000 (x2),
    Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma, Phillips Pronto Control w/Niles HT-MSU.

  24. #24

    Member Sales Rating: (10)

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Worcester, MA
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    "Come in here Dear Boy have a cigar - you're gonna go far!"
    Well done, sir :) I don't know why I missed the connection until you pointed it out, but nicely done indeed.
    2 Ch.
    Parasound Halo A23 Amp
    Parasound Halo P3 Preamp
    Parasound Halo T3 Tuner
    Bada HD22SE tube CD Player
    Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna
    polkaudio Lsi9s (upgraded cross-overs)
    MIT Shotgun S-3 Bi-wire Interface Speaker Cables
    MIT Shotgun S-3 Interconnects (3)
    IegO L70530 Power cords (3)

    HT
    Denon 2808ci AVR
    polkaudio RTi A5s (fronts)
    polkaudio RTi A1s (rears)
    polkaudio Csi A6 (center)
    Signal Cable Ultra Speaker Cables
    Signal Cable Analog II Interconnects

  25. #25

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Milford,NH
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Sadly, this generation will never feel the simple pleasure of rushing down to the local record store on Saturday to grab the new release by their favorite artists and then run home and listen for hours. Or the sights and sounds of the local stereo store. I'm so happy I grew up during the height of classic rock and hifi. These kids don't know what they missed!
    Life's too short too listen to bad speakers

  26. #26
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    21,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by comfortablycurt View Post
    Many times I've bought a CD because there was one song in particular that I wanted...the big "radio" song or whatever. Most of the time, you get the CD, listen to that one song first...and THEN....you discover that the rest of the album is EVEN BETTER than that one song. This is what you're missing out on by downloading individual tracks.
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Ding, ding, ding....we have a WINNER!!!
    This where I was about to go, but I'll take it one step further. I've said this before, one of the things I love about vinyl is that you are forced to listen to every track on each side of the record. I have found more great songs, more great music in general listening to the WHOLE ALBUM where with digital I would just skip to the songs I was familiar with ignoring the rest of the album. This is not to mention that many artists have a theme going on their full albums and one song leads to another to tell a story.

    Unless of course you're nuts and keep jumping up to move the tonearm around, you get to listen to it all on vinyl. Nuff said.;)

  27. #27

    Member Sales Rating: (36)

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hearingimpared View Post
    This where I was about to go, but I'll take it one step further. I've said this before, one of the things I love about vinyl is that you are forced to listen to every track on each side of the record. I have found more great songs, more great music in general listening to the WHOLE ALBUM where with digital I would just skip to the songs I was familiar with ignoring the rest of the album. This is not to mention that many artists have a theme going on their full albums and one song leads to another to tell a story.

    Unless of course you're nuts and keep jumping up to move the tonearm around, you get to listen to it all on vinyl. Nuff said.;)
    I got this problem solved in the digital domain! When I was running vinyl hard last year, I loved all the new music I was discovering on records by being forced to listen to the whole thing. Granted, I have many albums on CD that I listen to completely through, but now I have setup my system so changing the song requires me to get up turn on the computer's display, grab my mouse, unlock the screen, maximize itunes, etc. It's virtually the same hassle as lifting and dropping the stylus and achieves the same results. Ya' see, us youngsters do adapt and learn from you old kooks.

  28. #28
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    21,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolidSqual View Post
    I got this problem solved in the digital domain! When I was running vinyl hard last year, I loved all the new music I was discovering on records by being forced to listen to the whole thing. Granted, I have many albums on CD that I listen to completely through, but now I have setup my system so changing the song requires me to get up turn on the computer's display, grab my mouse, unlock the screen, maximize itunes, etc. It's virtually the same hassle as lifting and dropping the stylus and achieves the same results. Ya' see, us youngsters do adapt and learn from you old kooks.
    Very innovative of you.

    LMAO @ old kooks!

  29. #29

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    3 moves from check mating you
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmitchnh View Post
    Sadly, this generation will never feel the simple pleasure of rushing down to the local record store on Saturday to grab the new release by their favorite artists and then run home and listen for hours. Or the sights and sounds of the local stereo store. I'm so happy I grew up during the height of classic rock and hifi. These kids don't know what they missed!
    I agree.

    The sad part is most kids could care less and I was also thinking(yes thinking) today about what a younger guy said to me (after hearing his home made bookshelfs, which were quite nice)when I said he needed a sub to fill the bottom out.
    ..He asked..what's the bottom?
    Your playing Bob Marley with bookshelf speakers and they can only play soo much of the lower frequencies. Your not hearing all there is.
    .. I'm not?
    No, but you can come over and hear it at my house. But has he come over??..NO
    .. He could care less I guess. His bookshelfs sound alot better than his ear buds soooo....he's alright.

    .. I'll bet most people (except musicians and car audio buffs ) don't even know what they're missing and the music at home usually or probably has to be listened to on ear phones in their bedrooms anyway. They probably have splitters for other listeners to enjoy the same song off their Ipod to.
    ..When kids move out nowadays I think they can't afford BIG audio so downloads it is...

    ..Sorry to ramble but I really hate to see people who could care less what all these great speaker manufacturers have toiled over all their lives. To bring the best musical reproduction devises they can make for US to enjoy music also.

    Music is Gods gift to mankind! Without a doubt unless it's rap.:D
    Last edited by Tony M; 04-01-2010 at 10:41 PM.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies . I am glad to be a part of a select group that tries to take our auditory and visual senses to a higher level: we EXPERIENCE them.... GOT SDA?...GOT SUNFIRE? ...GOT Maggies?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    By dragon1952 in forum Music & Movies
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-06-2008, 03:06 PM
  2. Pink Floyd
    By George Grand in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-26-2007, 05:48 AM
  3. Pink Floyd DVD
    By ND13 in forum Music & Movies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-29-2005, 04:58 PM
  4. Pink Floyd
    By har_navalta in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-21-2002, 11:30 PM
  5. Pink Floyd on DVD-A
    By Frank Z in forum Music & Movies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-14-2002, 10:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts