Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 34

Thread: CEO visit

  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (24)

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    all I see is cows and cheese...
    Posts
    4,206

    Default CEO visit

    So why is it when a CEO visits our work center that everything and everyone goes nuts? Such as I work with files all day long and have several at my desk. sometimes so many you have to stack them on the floor ect. so why when a CEO visits one must "hide" these things? to me it shows that your trying to make it look like you don't have as much work as you do I guess, and just looks odd.

    Thats and its funny because you start seeing people dressing up like its a visit to the president's office in DC but then these people will never even meet the CEO, most would be lucky to even see him. I at least can say I got to see him at lunch at my favorite spot to go so that was cool. but just odd.
    I guess if I was a CEO I wouldn't even let it known that I was visiting. Just would want to see what the work enviroment is like in the normal daily activity without the influence of oh someone important is here gotta shape up. That way you would really know what people are doing/saying/look like rather than "pretend".
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Dynavector p75 modded phono stage
    Rega P25 modded-Denon 103R Cart
    Squeezebox Touch
    Modded Music Hall DAC Burson op amps
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (12)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    http://audiomilitia.proboards.com
    Posts
    12,758

    Default

    Most CEO's don't care about the way it is, rather they see things the way they want them to be. For the rest of us its called reality, and for them, it's called fantasy.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

    "The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,644

    Default

    +1 on this.. if you have a ton of files at your desk then they see that its messy and confusing not that you are actually working.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (28)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Right here.
    Posts
    10,414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    Most CEO's don't care about the way it is, rather they see things the way they want them to be. For the rest of us its called reality, and for them, it's called fantasy.
    I've heard stupid things in my life. This is right up there.
    _________________________________________________
    ***\\\\\........................... My Audio Journey ............................./////***

    2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (12)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    http://audiomilitia.proboards.com
    Posts
    12,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I've heard stupid things in my life. This is right up there.
    My post was meant to be bitingly sarcastic given the actions of those CEO's that led us to the mess we are in now. Check out Undercover Boss one of these days and you will see first-hand just how far off CEO's can be. The CEO of the company I work for walked up to a customer and handed him a hundred dollar bill and told him his last check would be ready for him in the morning. The customer was smoking a cigarette in front of the building, which is against company policy for employees to do...

    The customer Kept the benjamin and walked off!
    Last edited by nooshinjohn; 04-07-2010 at 04:39 PM.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

    "The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

  6. #6
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    21,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coolsax View Post
    +1 on this.. if you have a ton of files at your desk then they see that its messy and confusing not that you are actually working.
    Have you ever walked into a lawyers office? There are files all over the place and it may look like a tornado struck but they know where everything is. I used to keep my everyday files stacked on my desk and the floor. I had so much work to do that if I placed them in a file cabinet, I would forget about them.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    21,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    Most CEO's don't care about the way it is, rather they see things the way they want them to be. For the rest of us its called reality, and for them, it's called fantasy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I've heard stupid things in my life. This is right up there.
    I've dealt with a lot of CEO's during my career and what he said above is not far off the mark.

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,644

    Default

    I've worked in real estate loans so I know all about files all over the place.. those of us peons know that you're going to have files all about usually.. however executive types don't necessarily see it that way is all my point was :)

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Back from Japan in Lake Wylie, SC.
    Posts
    7,872

    Default

    It's like a Dog & Pony show bro. Gotta look your best and shine for the 5 mins they come around.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

    Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

  10. #10
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    21,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coolsax View Post
    I've worked in real estate loans so I know all about files all over the place.. those of us peons know that you're going to have files all about usually.. however executive types don't necessarily see it that way is all my point was :)
    I know, I got it, I was just supporting your point with some examples.:)

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,644

    Default

    no worries. As I reread my original post I thought it could be misconstrued as supporting the executive side so that's why i gave my example :)

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (24)

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    all I see is cows and cheese...
    Posts
    4,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hearingimpared View Post
    Have you ever walked into a lawyers office? There are files all over the place and it may look like a tornado struck but they know where everything is. I used to keep my everyday files stacked on my desk and the floor. I had so much work to do that if I placed them in a file cabinet, I would forget about them.
    Bingo.
    See we already have about oh 16 different file cabinets of files. All the ones I need or have to review sit on my desk until they can go to the one file cabinet I put all my reviews into. Not to mention all the other files I have to do extra work on or need more info. If I would put these away well one it would be pointless as I have to go fish them back out again the next day or during the day.
    But they wanted us to do this, makes no sense.

    I also understand looking good for the CEO. However when they don't even walk by your desk or anything and merely come on the floor and go into a conference room no where near anyone and people who normally are wearing kakis to work starting wearing their best suits, I'm sorry but I find that kinda silly.

    We have a large building for our town. The biggest in the downtown area acutally. (besides a mall) 6 stories high and takes up the whole city block. the chance of the CEO coming up to a worker that is of not upper mangement status and talking to them/seeing their work place is about .0000000001% chance of happening.

    Don't get me wrong, I like my CEO and my company, I just find it funny what people do to impress someone they will probably never meet or see.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Dynavector p75 modded phono stage
    Rega P25 modded-Denon 103R Cart
    Squeezebox Touch
    Modded Music Hall DAC Burson op amps
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,560

    Default

    Great Expectations !

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    16,490

    Default

    It's called nutless supervisors. I don't do "dog & pony shows."

    Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

  15. #15
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    21,321

    Default

    I had one CEO at a company called SHL Systemhouse I worked for. He had worked his way up through the ranks. Everytime he had a meeting he would commend us on how he would pass by our offices or cubicles and all he could see is "elbows and heineys with paper flying and sometimes a phone on each ear." He appreciated hard work and NEVER made us feel like he was some sort of god that needed to have a pretense put up for him. I used to love working for that company.

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    flower mound, tx
    Posts
    4,337

    Default

    At the company that I was at before(the division was sold) they
    most likely would have been afraid to walk out among the worker bees.
    It might have been the gas cans and the threats to burn down the building
    at the Paris branch perhaps? It's been a while since I had a CEO that was a man to be admired.
    My all time favorite was Ken Olson at Digital. The last couple I've had
    before the current company were a complete waste of time. Useless x 2.
    What happened to men of vision? Now all we get are glorified accountants.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gatineau, Quebec Canada
    Posts
    4,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post
    It's like a Dog & Pony show bro. Gotta look your best and shine for the 5 mins they come around.
    That statement sounds (look) so military ;)

  18. #18

    Member Sales Rating: (24)

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    all I see is cows and cheese...
    Posts
    4,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hearingimpared View Post
    I had one CEO at a company called SHL Systemhouse I worked for. He had worked his way up through the ranks. Everytime he had a meeting he would commend us on how he would pass by our offices or cubicles and all he could see is "elbows and heineys with paper flying and sometimes a phone on each ear." He appreciated hard work and NEVER made us feel like he was some sort of god that needed to have a pretense put up for him. I used to love working for that company.
    now that would be a good thing to see if you ask me.

    I just like people in charge that remember where they came from. The current CEO is acutally a pretty down to earth guy from his company addresses he has given. He tells us whats wrong with the company and has done some good changes I think already. I just hope it keeps up as he's still fairly new and was not a CEO before he started the job, so things can change.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Dynavector p75 modded phono stage
    Rega P25 modded-Denon 103R Cart
    Squeezebox Touch
    Modded Music Hall DAC Burson op amps
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (12)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    http://audiomilitia.proboards.com
    Posts
    12,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
    What a crock of ****. Most CEOs in this country are small business owners who have way more on the line than you seem to be able to grasp. Because of that, they tend to care very much about the reality of what's going on within their organizations with their homes and personal finances on the line. He loses on the risks he's taking you're simply out a job, he's out a hell of a lot more.

    The definition of CEO is as follows...

    Top executive responsible for a firm's overall operations and performance. He or she is the leader of the firm, serves as the main link between the board of directors (the board) and the firm's various parts or levels, and is held solely responsible for the firm's success or failure. One of the major duties of a CEO is to maintain and implement corporate policy, as established by the board. Also called President or managing director, he or she may also be the chairman (or chairperson) of the board....
    Most small businesses have none of these atributes, (boards, shareholders etc) and the title of CEO is a bit over the top. That said, an owner can call himself whatever he or she likes. My comment does not apply to small business owners.


    Quote Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
    If it's so easy, run something, big shot.
    I wont pretend to even have the skills needed to run a corporation. I have, however had a couple small businesses in my time, at one time I had six employees. I never felt the need to call myself President or CEO, and gave up on the last one to help my wife get through her Doctorate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
    The bigger the company, the further away from the lowest rung worker they are, but it doesn't mean they don't know what's going on. Clearly some become completely out of touch. Those are also the businesses that fail long term .
    You are correct here. It is those businesses that have failed and those that are currently Government owned or "bailed out" that my comments were directed towards.

    Quote Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
    A smart CEO knows what's going on at all levels, even when you smartass kiss ups think they don't.
    Again, I agree, but please don't call that kissing up.;)

    I posted this earlier, but you may have missed it. This will be the last word I have here....

    Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    My post was meant to be bitingly sarcastic given the actions of those CEO's that led us to the mess we are in now. Check out Undercover Boss one of these days and you will see first-hand just how far off CEO's can be.
    Last edited by nooshinjohn; 04-07-2010 at 07:45 PM.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

    "The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

  20. #20
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    21,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
    What a crock of ****. Most CEOs in this country are small business owners who have way more on the line than you seem to be able to grasp. Because of that, they tend to care very much about the reality of what's going on within their organizations with their homes and personal finances on the line. He loses on the risks he's taking you're simply out a job, he's out a hell of a lot more.

    If it's so easy, run something, big shot.

    The bigger the company, the further away from the lowest rung worker they are, but it doesn't mean they don't know what's going on. Clearly some become completely out of touch. Those are also the businesses that fail long term.

    A smart CEO knows what's going on at all levels, even when you smartass kiss ups think they don't.
    Where do you get off speaking to people who you don't know that way? I posted in this thread so I assume you are directing that at me too.

    I've worked DIRECTLY for several CEOs during my career and never kissed up to anyone!!! Yeah Dave "a smart CEO knows what's going on at all levels," but don't give a flip except kissing the stock holders asses. THAT IS MY EXPERIENCE WITH MOST OF THEM!!! It's the ones who do get in and get their hands dirty to see what their clientele really care about that really gets the company on a financial roll.

  21. #21

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sconnie
    Posts
    11,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hearingimpared View Post
    Where do you get off speaking to people who you don't know that way? I posted in this thread so I assume you are directing that at me too.
    I wasn't actually speaking to you, but if you're a suck-up, then I guess it would apply. Sorry, not going to couch my opinion. You're having a great time slammin' CEOs you don't know with your blanket statements, who are you to complain about those with stick up for all the great small business owners out there?

    Quote Originally Posted by hearingimpared View Post
    I've worked DIRECTLY for several CEOs during my career and never kissed up to anyone!!! Yeah Dave "a smart CEO knows what's going on at all levels," but don't give a flip except kissing the stock holders asses. THAT IS MY EXPERIENCE WITH MOST OF THEM!!! It's the ones who do get in and get their hands dirty to see what their clientele really care about that really gets the company on a financial roll.
    ...and? Some CEOs are jackasses. Seems like you missed the point.

    Based on nooshinjohn's response it seems moot now anyways.

  22. #22
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    21,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
    I wasn't actually speaking to you, but if you're a suck-up, then I guess it would apply. Sorry, not going to couch my opinion. You're having a great time slammin' CEOs you don't know with your blanket statements, who are you to complain about those with stick up for all the great small business owners out there?



    ...and? Some CEOs are jackasses. Seems like you missed the point.

    Based on nooshinjohn's response it seems moot now anyways.
    I'm talking about CEO's of medium to large corporations. I've worked quite a few. They are not all jackasses I named one in a previous post whom I admired. I will tell you this, when SHL Systemhouse was bought out by MCI and became MCI Systemhouse, I worked for the CEO there and I'm not mentioning his name but he help run MCI/Worldcom into the ground. Stock prices went from $100 per share down to $1 in months.

    I'm slamming the ones I worked for not across the board CEOs that I don't know.

    As I said before I never have nor do I suck up to anyone. You made an across board statement and I was countering.

  23. #23

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sconnie
    Posts
    11,808

    Default

    I think you love to create drama to make your time here more lively, Joe. I wasn't talking to you, but you have fun being offended. I'm done.

  24. #24

    Member Sales Rating: (3)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    SDA SweetSpot
    Posts
    5,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    The definition of CEO is as follows...

    Top executive responsible for a firm's overall operations and performance. He or she is the leader of the firm, serves as the main link between the board of directors (the board) and the firm's various parts or levels, and is held solely responsible for the firm's success or failure. One of the major duties of a CEO is to maintain and implement corporate policy, as established by the board. Also called President or managing director, he or she may also be the chairman (or chairperson) of the board....
    Most small businesses have none of these atributes, (boards, shareholders etc) and the title of CEO is a bit over the top. That said, an owner can call himself whatever he or she likes. My comment does not apply to small business owners.
    In the technical consulting field, I occasionally see someone refer to themselves as "CEO" when they are actually a one person firm with no one, let alone other executives, reporting to them. How can you be the "chief" executive when you are the "only" executive?:p I also see this a lot in the entertainment business, where small production companies, concert promoters, musicians, etc. will title themselves as "CEO" when they are really just a sole proprietorship.
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member
    __________________
    "Knowledge, without understanding, is a path to failure."~DK

  25. #25

    Member Sales Rating: (11)

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Dixon, IL
    Posts
    6,519

    Default

    This is why I like being self employed. I am my own "CEO".;):)

    I guess I do act a little different sometimes though when I'm around myself, and I'm inspecting my own work place.:p
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

  26. #26
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    21,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
    I think you love to create drama to make your time here more lively, Joe. I wasn't talking to you, but you have fun being offended. I'm done.
    Of course, make it me creating drama instead of taking responsibility for your statement.

    That's okay Dave, if you made your last statement above clear when you first made the statement it could not have been misconstrued .

    Quote Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
    A smart CEO knows what's going on at all levels, even when you smartass kiss ups think they don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by hearingimpared View Post
    Where do you get off speaking to people who you don't know that way? I posted in this thread so I assume you are directing that at me too.

    Seems to me you like to put people down and make plural across-the-board insults like above. Who created the drama Dave? Why do you have to be so crass when making a point that is opposed to yours?
    Last edited by hearingimpared; 04-08-2010 at 05:20 AM.

  27. #27
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    21,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarqueKnight View Post
    In the technical consulting field, I occasionally see someone refer to themselves as "CEO" when they are actually a one person firm with no one, let alone other executives, reporting to them. How can you be the "chief" executive when you are the "only" executive?:p I also see this a lot in the entertainment business, where small production companies, concert promoters, musicians, etc. will title themselves as "CEO" when they are really just a sole proprietorship.
    That's a good point Ray. Some people are so full of themselves that they have to make themselves important by fixing their title as CEO.

    When I had my audio business, my business card stated "Proprietor."

  28. #28

    Member Sales Rating: (15)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    My CEO shows up unannounced in a limo. I try to wear my cleaner jeans and a t-shirt without stains all over it those days.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

  29. #29

    Member Sales Rating: (24)

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    all I see is cows and cheese...
    Posts
    4,206

    Default

    we are not even allowed to wear jeans to our work unless its a special day in which we pay a dollar that goes to charity. even then no T-shirts, only polos and button ups. for us business casual every day is the norm so when people go out and start pulling out suits and your working in a call center its just funny to watch.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Dynavector p75 modded phono stage
    Rega P25 modded-Denon 103R Cart
    Squeezebox Touch
    Modded Music Hall DAC Burson op amps
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

  30. #30

    Member Sales Rating: (15)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,407

    Default

    While i've got your undivided attention.. :p

    I'll give you a call when i get out of work buddy. Probably between 5 and 6. Sorry i missed you yesterday, i felt like the proverbial chicken with the head cut off until about 10pm last night.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Hearingimpared's Visit
    By George Grand in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 03:32 PM
  2. Visit From JStas
    By George Grand in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-19-2007, 05:55 PM
  3. What a pleasant visit...
    By amulford in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-02-2007, 10:35 PM
  4. Visit with Tour2ma
    By hoosier21 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-16-2004, 09:07 PM
  5. My Visit to Mecca....
    By TroyD in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-13-2002, 11:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts